Finally moving from Sonar but....

So I've downloaded all the files, and I'm about to install, and the install default folders are the same as Sonar, including the "Shared Midi plugins" "Shared DXi" etc etc, at this point I don't know whether to go ahead or not, if I install will I lose the content of these folders for them to be replaced with the defaults of the CbB install?

I obviously want to retain all my plugs/instruments from Sonar, but if I install in a different folder (not c:/Program Files/Cakewalk) will I create problems? Ideally I want to be able to still use Sonar if I have difficulties with some projects. 

So where to install CbB?

My understanding is that if you let CbB install with its default settings, and you have a Sonar installation that was done with default settings, nothing in your existing Sonar installation will be overwritten.

I don't speak from personal experience, just reading many, many accounts from forum members on the subject.

The bundled MIDI and DXi plug-ins in particular are mostly or all ones that are common to both Sonar and CbB, for whatever that's worth.

I started with CbB and since I've had it I have installed and uninstalled both a trial of Sonar Artist and a full version of Sonar Home Studio and all three programs coexisted happily.

• Like 1

StarShip is correct. Both programs can live side by side. Just install both with their default settings. It is a good idea to leave Platinum alone. The reason is it came with plugins and bundles that Cakewalk doesn't  have. If Platinum is there Cakewalk will use all that came with Platinum. 

Just keep Sonar on your system.  Nothing has to change there.  You can use either because they will both be there.  Nothing you do with CbB will affect Sonar or vice versa.   I guarantee you'll want to stick with CbB once you pick it up.

😀John B.

@Starship Krupa @John@Johnbee58  - Thanks guys.

I've made the mistake of not installing CbB via the Assistant and now stuck in perpetual Demo mode. The question now it seems, is how do I uninstall CbB without losing any of my Sonar plugs/instruments? I click uninstall via the Assistant and the first popup asks me if I want to remove CbB and all of its components, not sure I should be doing that as won't it mess up the Sonar installed plugs/instruments?

To add to this, f you install the band lab app that will install cbb for you  just use your same login that you use in sonar and it will opt all of your instruments from sonar. You shouldn't have to tell it where your song folders are or vst it will already know. Cbb is a very good improvement from old sonar. It's mostly under hood changes s transition from sonar to cbb shouldn't be a pain

+1, you can also install CbB via the Bandlab Assistant (which is how it activates CbB for 6 months), then uninstall the Bandlab Assistant. That handshake is only required once.

CbB is basically the continuation of SONAR, so it has a lot of program updates. Just to verify things, it is also good to walk through the preference pages side by side when first installed.

16 hours ago, Defy Audio said:

I've made the mistake of not installing CbB via the Assistant

I didn't think that was possible.

Well, I'm glad that it brought you back to square one at least. Now I hope you install BA and just let it do its thing.

It'll be fiiiine, don't worry. And the thing is, Cakewalk is supported, so if you run into any snags, you can put in a ticket with an actual support staff who will help you out. You don't have to rely on forum flunkies like me for advice.

I don't know what your focus is in using Sonar, but the devs, in addition to doing some good work with tuning for speed and stability, added ARA2 support in the latest build of Cakewalk, so if you're doing anything with Melodyne, it will add a lot of functionality to that. Get your blob on.