Layin' it Down

KSband

Thanks David, I use a modded 65 dollar ebay strat straight into the focusrite. Using BiasFx2 plugin which includes a distortion box, auto wah, chorus, 69 Plexi amp then delay and reverb boxes.  The BiasFX is nice in that it includes a lot of classic Fx boxes. These plugins make it so easy to get decent sounds quick. I have some really nice home built tube amps and Fx but I would be spending all day trying to capture a good tone.

I can hear the fingers attacking the bass strings. The bass is so very well articulated and recorded. Well done there.  Timing seems impeccable throughout the piece, great chops. Perhaps the drums could be a bit more present in the mix? That's about the only maybe crit I could offer. This is pretty stellar.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

Man, I wish I could get my bass to sound that good. The guitar tones are just perfect. I hear the Steely Dan influence in there too, and that's always a good thing.  Teensy, tiny nits:  my ear wanted to hear the song break out into a more riding groove with a sizzling solo but it's still nice the way it is, and some more variation in the drum parts and some additional fills to lift things up in later verses would imho take this to the next level. 

But really, it's quite awesome as it is.

Nice work, Kurt!

4 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Man, I wish I could get my bass to sound that good. The guitar tones are just perfect. I hear the Steely Dan influence in there too, and that's always a good thing.  Teensy, tiny nits:  my ear wanted to hear the song break out into a more riding groove with a sizzling solo but it's still nice the way it is, and some more variation in the drum parts and some additional fills to lift things up in later verses would imho take this to the next level. 

But really, it's quite awesome as it is.

Nice work, Kurt!

Thanks Kevin! The bass is pretty simple, cheap fretless jazz into free Amplitube SVX 500 basic plugin. I'm not a bass player but I must say I have enjoyed playing the fretless, it's my favorite. It does have fret markers otherwise it would really confuse me.  I agree it is a fairly basic arrangement, it turned out that the chord changes in the song where really difficult for me to play to (love jazz but don't really understand it), I almost trashed the whole thing out of frustration. So that's the reason it's pretty brief. Thanks for commenting.

Edited by KurtS

On 2/21/2022 at 1:26 AM, Wookiee said:

Another pleasant start to the day too.

Thanks Wookie!

On 2/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Afrodrum said:

That sounds very cool, reminds me early Steely Dan. The guitar would benefit imo if less amp gain is used

Thanks for listening, I think I needed the extra distortion to fill in the gaps since I'm a slow hand.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

I can hear the fingers attacking the bass strings. The bass is so very well articulated and recorded. Well done there.  Timing seems impeccable throughout the piece, great chops. Perhaps the drums could be a bit more present in the mix? That's about the only maybe crit I could offer. This is pretty stellar.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for commenting Tom! 

3 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice laid back vibe.  Cool.

Appreciate it man.