Toneboosters Legacy (v3) plug-ins FREE

mibby

Go to the bottom of the page to download.

https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html

Manuals at the bottom of this page:

https://www.toneboosters.com/support.html

This is a great opportunity to try out this Dev. For some reason I've never bought their stuff, but they seem very highly regarded AND very inexpensive to boot!

Edited by mibby
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, mibby said:

Go to the bottom of the page to download.

https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html

This is a great opportunity to try out this Dev. For some reason I've never bought their stuff, but they seem very highly regarded AND very inexpensive to boot!

They basically never run sales otherwise I'm sure they would get much more love from the deals forum.

The pricing model is very reasonable and lots of people would consider them to be a deal at the normal prices.  EQ4 is IMO among the best on the market.  Beautiful UI and features somewhat similar to Melda AutoDynamicEQ, but easier to use, i.e. nodes are active by default, no need to double click on things).  And Barricade has long been considered a go to Limiter

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

They basically never run sales otherwise I'm sure they would get much more love from the deals forum.

The pricing model is very reasonable and lots of people would consider them to be a deal at the normal prices.  EQ4 is IMO among the best on the market.  Beautiful UI and features somewhat similar to Melda AutoDynamicEQ, but easier to use, i.e. nodes are active by default, no need to double click on things).  And Barricade has long been considered a go to Limiter

Makes me think of the Klanghelm plugins minus the dynamic EQ.

1 hour ago, mibby said:

Makes me think of the Klanghelm plugins minus the dynamic EQ.

I like Klanghelm too but it seems like they stopped development years ago and just keep selling the same stuff.   TB are constantly updating and evolving with the times.  Your post about v3 now freeware shows how much of that they are doing that v4 is such a massive leap that he can simply give v3 away without fear of lost revenue.

For $32 a plugin (average) you cannot beat the value.  The demos work in perpetual trial - you can't save presets or store your settings but they're fully functional.  I had no problem ponying up the asking price for three of them.  If I didn't have so much redundancy already, I would buy the rest with no hesitation.

• Like 1

The demos work in perpetual trial - you can't save presets or store your settings but they're fully functional.

Ok. Thanks for the info about it being crippleware.

Don't see the need for hording plugins that's not "really" fully functional when there's so much good freeware around.

57 minutes ago, Kurre said:

Don't see the need for hording plugins that's not "really" fully functional when there's so much good freeware around.

I thought what they were saying is that these are being given away for free, as they're older versions, but prior to that and also with their current versions, the demos are a perpetual trial.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 3:24 AM, Kurre said:

Thanks for the info about it being crippleware.

Notes:

The v. 3 plug-in collection referred to in the OP is not crippled in any way. Perpetual license keys are included in the installation. The demos of the current TB products are the ones that function with all features except for saving presets.

Tone Boosters don't allow the user to change the install path during installation, instead by default they install everything to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\. You must either move them to your usual VST2 location or add that path to your DAW's VST2 search paths.

The link in the OP goes to a download page that  has no link to manuals, which you will need in order to operate these feature-deep FX. Archives containing the manuals may be found down at the bottom of this page, in the help topic about where to find older plug-ins.

The installer includes an option to install "Free" plug-ins, by which it means the ones that have always been free, which includes the excellent Broadcast Compressor and Omnisone, now compiled for 64 bit. Broadcast Compressor was my first single-plug-in mastering tool, and even though I had no idea what I was doing with it, it managed to let me get listenable results on some early mixes. It has some interesting psychoacoustic processing built in to it.

Jeroen Breebart, the proprietor of Tone Boosters, is this genius academic type guy who publishes papers on psychoacoustics. And yes, if his stuff (including the v. 3 line that is now free) were available at Pluginboutique for twice the price and put on sale for 50% off every 6 months, we would be throwing "no brainer" around every time. 😄

Edited by Starship Krupa
Thanks to TheSteven for correcting the information on installation path
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

They're NOT crippleware (V3 legacy plugins). They're fully functional and free.

The newer V4 plugins have fully functional demos, except for preset saving, but they do remember their state if you save the project.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Jeroen Breebart, the proprietor of Tone Boosters, is this genius academic type guy who publishes papers on psychoacoustics. And yes, if his stuff (including the v. 3 line that is now free) were available at Pluginboutique for twice the price and put on sale for 50% off every 6 months, we would be throwing "no brainer" around every time. 😄

yep, quality stuff, low price, responsive developer

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

They're NOT crippleware (V3 legacy plugins). They're fully functional and free.

The newer V4 plugins have fully functional demos, except for preset saving, but they do remember their state if you save the project.

Sorry!  Sorry!  I was referring to the V4 plug-ins!!!!  Should have quoted the post prior to mine!!!!

• Like 2

@mibby Thanks for sharing this info. I've  been to their site and wondered if they were decent.  Their prices are certainly low. I think I'll start with checking out some of their latest demos. But I  wanted to say thanks,  I always find it really valuable when people here share their testimonials/recommendations on plugins and developers that I'm not experienced with. 

I should have stated clearly in my earlier post that I was referring to the great value that the V4 plugins are - thought that was explicit in calling out their average price vs. the V3 versions that are now freely available.  I have Barricade, Reverb 4, and EQ4 and use them often, even with similar Fabfilter plugins available.  Just another option to have but they do some things differently than FF that I just flat out appreciate.  Clean UIs and easy to use.  Sound great with relatively light CPU hit.

• Thanks 2