Venini Glass Works Cue - Moonraker/James Bond

markno999

Mockup of Venini Glass Works cue by John Barry in the Bond movie Moonraker.    Done with new purchase of East West Opus and Symphonic Orchestra.   Wanted to check out the software using a short and fairly simple cue and  see if I could come close.  The main area of focus was space/reverb, articulations, fades, etc..   to try to create realism that has been lacking in some of my orchestral parts.   It is also tempo mapped fairly closely to the original recording.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14392976

Regards

Edited by markno999
link
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

sounded realistic.  Did you use legato patches on the strings (or sustains)?  Second question, what did you *play* and what did you *write* into the sequencer?  This is really good!

David,

Thanks for the listen.   The high strings are a patch called 18V Sus LITE in Hollywood Strings Opus Edition, the default  setting is a Legato but there are numerous articulations available in the patch.   Also using a Bass and Bass Pizz patch, Harp and Alto Flute from East West.   Some patches from Project Sam Symphobia, Strings with Low Brass and Horns with Trombone.  Organ is  just the stock NI Kontakt patch.   All going through various EW Spaces Verbs. That's it, nothing too elaborate.

All parts were playing live using a Nektar 88 Keyboard MIDI Controller.   In the past I have either played in parts or entered them in the piano roll by mouse and later added in the Expression, Modulation, etc..   That doesn't really work for me as I need to hear what the Expression and Mod are doing in real-time as the parts are going in.   This is the part I was missing in the past.  In this project the notes and Expression/Modulation were recorded together in realtime.    I later went back and tweaked some of the automation but it was pretty close the first  time through.    

Have been watching some Ryan Thomas Tutorials on the East West YouTube channel that are very informative.

Regards

8 hours ago, markno999 said:

Have been watching some Ryan Thomas Tutorials on the East West YouTube channel that are very informative.

Well done...
I have the EW stuff and the Ryan Thomas tutorials are great.
looking forward to hearing some more o your compositions.

Thanks everyone for the listen and comments.    Will definitely be experimenting more with the library so appreciate the encouragement.     

@markskinner- The Bridge to Somewhere song is an EmeraldSoul song.   He had posted a piano only version and I asked him if I could do a backing track for it.   Started with just a string arrangement but ended up adding drums, bass and some horn parts as well.   I really liked the song and he was kind enough to let me dabble with some additional parts for it.  

Regards

• Like 1

Well I was digging the James Bond retro vibe, really well done on that! I especially liked the very end, a bit of suspenseful upper string remnants that linger.  Really great string sounds all the way through.

Then I caught the "Bridge to Somewhere" from whomever "Emeraldsou"l was . . . Mark that was a fun project for sure, you completely took that to a new  and much more listenable level - thanks for that project!

cheers,

-Tom

36 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Well I was digging the James Bond retro vibe, really well done on that! I especially liked the very end, a bit of suspenseful upper string remnants that linger.  Really great string sounds all the way through.

Then I caught the "Bridge to Somewhere" from whomever "Emeraldsou"l was . . . Mark that was a fun project for sure, you completely took that to a new  and much more listenable level - thanks for that project!

cheers,

-Tom

I need to keep up with current events and name changes on the Forum:)   I don't get here as much as I would like to these days.    Over the weekend replaced the piano samples on Bridge with the East West Steinway D and the strings as well with the Opus Hollywood Strings.   Will send you an update for review later when I get home.  

Regards