My New Video: The Time I Made Madonna Laugh

Reid Rosefelt

Okay, I'm going to make this thread about Madrona -- Madrona Labs, because it almost sounds like Madonna, right? And you can use your Madrona Labs gear to play covers of Madonna songs.  And Madrona (Labs) has deals every so often. In fact, here's a link to a sale they had at the end of last year.  So yeah, I fixed it for you. You can change the thread title to "Doesn't Madrona sound like Madonna?  What's the Deal? " Problem solved and our little complaining friend can go back to paraphrasing Putin's propaganda referring to Jews as Nazis in the deals forum -- which I'm pretty confident violates forum policy -- as he did the other day when he was upset over a developer helping Ukranians. 

https://madronalabs.com/topics/8515-thank-you-sale-2021?locale=us

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

First, thank you @PavlovsCat  for your kind defense.

Carl, I think if you give a fair look at this forum, you will see that it is about a lot more than "deals."  Yes, people (mostly King Larry) post deals and sometimes somebody else points out a lower price.  But we also discuss all manner of things, from which instrument is the best, to our careers, to the business practices of companies, and many other things.  It starts with deals and can go all over the map.

And if you come to the forum a lot, you will see headlines marked "not a deal."   This is literally a deals forum, but it is also where a group of people regularly congregate to talk with people we have come to know.   This is a place we like to go and  we trust what the others have to say. 

Some people helpfully suggested that I post in another Cakewalk forum.  I did and there wasn't a single response.  That makes total sense--they don't know me. 

So I totally respect that you don't think this post should be allowed here, but others are okay with it.  My friend @Simeon Amburgey posts his videos here too.  He is sometimes demoing new software that is a special price, but not always.  He's one of us.

Please consider letting this go and, as @PavlovsCat suggested, just don't pay any attention to it.

All the best,

Reid

I'm gonna do that now.

FYI, Reid (aka Tiger the Frog) has been a member of this "Deals" group for as long as I can remember, even going back to the legacy Cakewalk forum days...

He has also been quite active over on the VI-Control forum, especially with his "Black Friday" deals posts. So he is a solid deals aficionado... and his off-topic meanderings are quite interesting and educational!

Tip: There is a little button up on the top right corner of this page that may show "Following". If you do not care to follow any longer, just click it to set to "Unfollow", and you will no longer receive any notifications for this thread!

Just one click, and we can all get along again! :)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

First, thank you @PavlovsCat  for your kind defense.

Carl, I think if you give a fair look at this forum, you will see that it is about a lot more than "deals."  Yes, people (mostly King Larry) post deals and sometimes somebody else points out a lower price.  But we also discuss all manner of things, from which instrument is the best, to our careers, to the business practices of companies, and many other things.  It starts with deals and can go all over the map.

And if you come to the forum a lot, you will see headlines marked "not a deal."   This is literally a deals forum, but it is also where a group of people regularly congregate to talk with people we have come to know.   This is a place we like to go and  we trust what the others have to say. 

Some people helpfully suggested that I post in another Cakewalk forum.  I did and there wasn't a single response.  That makes total sense--they don't know me. 

So I totally respect that you don't think this post should be allowed here, but others are okay with it.  My friend @Simeon Amburgey posts his videos here too.  He is sometimes demoing new software that is a special price, but not always.  He's one of us.

Please consider letting this go and, as @PavlovsCat suggested, just don't pay any attention to it.

All the best,

Reid

This makes no sense - "not a deal" topics are generally about software / hardware business info that will affect products people use directly, or about something at least partially related to audio / music business news that DIRECTLY affects what people are buying or using every day. And ya, very occasionally jokey meme posts - usually during sales season. But these videos don't belong here at all. Looking around the forum, they belong exactly in the "Coffee House" category. That's what that forum is for.

Like you said, you're using this forum because you have friends here, and your posts weren't catching traction elsewhere. I'm sorry that's the case, but these posts do not belong here. All the people responding can always respond in the Coffee House category, which is a click away. Literally. This deals forum is extremely popular for people across the internet, who are looking for up to date deals, most of whom don't post here. I'm sure, like me, they'd appreciate the forum to be as to the point as possible.

If there is a place for this content - which there is - it should be posted there. 

Also consider that that when off-topic post like these are on the 1st page, it potentially means that smaller developers running sales are getting kicked to the 2nd page, and losing visibility. And those developers can use all the visibility they can get. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 2

2 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

This makes no sense - "not a deal" topics are generally about software / hardware business info that will affect products people use directly, or about something at least partially related to audio / music business news that DIRECTLY affects what people are buying or using every day. And ya, very occasionally jokey meme posts - usually during sales season. But these videos don't belong here at all. Looking around the forum, they belong exactly in the "Coffee House" category. That's what that forum is for.

Like you said, you're using this forum because you have friends here, and your posts weren't catching traction elsewhere. I'm sorry that's the case, but these posts do not belong here. All the people responding can always respond in the Coffee House category, which is a click away. Literally. This deals forum is extremely popular for people across the internet, who are looking for up to date deals, most of whom don't post here. I'm sure, like me, they'd appreciate the forum to be as to the point as possible.

If there is a place for this content - which there is - it should be posted there. 

Also consider that that when off-topic post like these are on the 1st page, it potentially means that smaller developers running sales are getting kicked to the 2nd page, and losing visibility. And those developers can use all the visibility they can get. 

"Unfollow" the thread and move along please! :)

That way it will not have any impact on you one way or the other...

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

1 minute ago, abacab said:

"Unfollow" the thread and move along please! :)

That way it will not have any impact on you one way or the other...

Would prefer to keep voicing my opinion  this till these topics are gone. Now I'll just do it to defend smaller developer sales, who should take priority on this "deals" topic over people shamelessly promoting their totally unrelated Youtube channels. This content doesn't belong here - there's a proper category for it on these Cakewalk forums already. Poster should consider that he's shameless self-promoting on a popular forum that can be quite important for developer sales.

• Meh 3

4 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Would prefer to keep voicing my opinion  this till these topics are gone. Now I'll just do it to defend smaller developer sales, who should take priority on this "deals" topic over people shamelessly promoting their totally unrelated Youtube channels. This content doesn't belong here - there's a proper category for it on these Cakewalk forums already. Poster should consider that he's shameless self-promoting on a popular forum that can be quite important for developer sales.

That was just a friendly suggestion. Nobody is going to interfere with your right to Free Speech. But I doubt you will win many friends here with your opinions... 😉

Edited by abacab
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Carl - I'm reluctant to make this personal but I've taken a quick look at your post history and I'm not seeing you doing much to positively contribute to this forum over your 110 posts, although I do see a lot of complaining about what other people are doing.......So if it's all the same to you I'll keep hugely enjoying Reid's post and discount your (faux?) annoyance.

Is that ok by you ?

Edited by simon
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 4

To me, the free insider stories are a deal.  And they break up the monotony of so-called deal after so-called deal.

But I can understand if someone disagrees.  I'd hate to see this thread have to be closed because it escalates. So, in the interest of peace in the thread, perhaps you might want to use the ignore button for Reid's posts.  Offered as a friendly suggestion. 

• Like 5

I'd suggest that if a moderator is considering locking this thread that the moderator instead move it to the appropriate forum.

In any event, @Reid Rosefelt, now that we have someone making repeated complaints  on your thread,  I think it would be a good idea to be proactive and start a similar thread in the appropriate subforum and link to it here ASAP so that link is here in case the thread is locked and people still want to keep up with what you're doing. I know I will follow it and I'm sure that I'm not alone (as once this thread is locked, you will not be able to make new posts or edit existing posts). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

No, I won't post my videos anywhere on Cakewalk anymore.   It's not a big deal. 

If anybody wants to support my channel, just go there.  If you have something to say, then comment there--or DM me.  Or you can go to VI:Control.  If Carl wants to go there and try to get me taken down, good luck to him, because Mike Greene likes what I have done for the forum and likes my video.  😃

My thanks to all of my friends here who have helped me improve the videos. 

All the best,

Reid

• Sad 6

For the record, while I get the point of "why post this here?", I don't really frequent the other sections of the CW forum or VI Control, so I would never have ever known about these videos if Reid hadn't posted this thread, and I am glad he did.  They are interesting and well told stories and  a nice change of pace.  He has never abused the forum and is an active and frequent contributor here. 

To the point of a small dev's threads getting buried. Other threads get buried here very quickly regardless unless a discussion opens up about a particular subject. It follows that if a small dev was interested in sales here, they could easily interact with potential customers, and his threads would be active and wouldn't get buried.

Peter from IK comes to mind. Definitely NOT a small dev, but he represents his products well, takes it on the chin any number of times and contributes to the forum. Knowing that people like Peter work at IK is a huge selling point and as a result, has gotten the company sales (at least from me).  IMHO, if a small dev is worried about sales on a particular forum, he should interact with his potential customers there.

BTW, what is so gd hard about ignoring an innocuous thread like this??

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

25 minutes ago, mibby said:

No idea. I also have no idea why some people seem to only come on here to complain. I can think of a few people who seem to have only posted messages along the lines of No, this plugin is rubbish without saying why, or providing examples of 'better' plugins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

No, I won't post my videos anywhere on Cakewalk anymore.   It's not a big deal. 

If anybody wants to support my channel, just go there.  If you have something to say, then comment there--or DM me.  Or you can go to VI:Control.  If Carl wants to go there and try to get me taken down, good luck to him, because Mike Greene likes what I have done for the forum and likes my video.  😃

My thanks to all of my friends here who have helped me improve the videos. 

All the best,

Reid

You don't have to take all of your toys and go home.

I usually pay attention to how to videos.

I'll assume this one was safer for the wallet.

44 minutes ago, mibby said:

For the record, while I get the point of "why post this here?", I don't really frequent the other sections of the CW forum or VI Control, so I would never have ever known about these videos if Reid hadn't posted this thread, and I am glad he did.  They are interesting and well told stories and  a nice change of pace.  He has never abused the forum and is an active and frequent contributor here. 

To the point of a small dev's threads getting buried. Other threads get buried here very quickly regardless unless a discussion opens up about a particular subject. It follows that if a small dev was interested in sales here, they could easily interact with potential customers, and his threads would be active and wouldn't get buried.

Peter from IK comes to mind. Definitely NOT a small dev, but he represents his products well, takes it on the chin any number of times and contributes to the forum. Knowing that people like Peter work at IK is a huge selling point and as a result, has gotten the company sales (at least from me).  IMHO, if a small dev is worried about sales on a particular forum, he should interact with his potential customers there.

If there are too many of them the topics the forum was designed for get lost.  I think that maybe people don't go the the second or third page of a forum.

I haven't read this whole but get the gist (I believe) from reading just the last few pages.  With all due respect to Reid (who's posts I enjoy/support) and all the members in both camps, though this sub forum falls under the General Discussion, it really doesn't make sense for these posts to be in the deals forum when there are places like Production Techniques and The Coffee Shop threads regardless of which has the highest traffic.

The problem I see is that for the moderators to be fair, equal treatment should be given to all users.  To that extent, where is the line drawn?  Obviously, what is allowed for one should be allowed for all?

832835372_TwoCents.gif.b03965d5c2802d7a13921b747c23c568.gif

• Haha 1