My New Video: The Time I Made Madonna Laugh

Reid Rosefelt

I will hold the pictures longer.  Thanks, that's a helpful note.

As for audio and video, please no more advice.  😄 I've heard what everybody has to say, and I'll take it from here on.  You'll see that the reflections are lessened in the next video, which should come out tomorrow.  I'll keep working.

I really appreciate all the notes I've received, but at this point, you've got to let me do this my own way.  It may not be the way you would do it...

My videos used to take up to five weeks and these I'm doing in a day or two.  That's absolutely essential. It's a billion times more important to me to knock a lot of them out quickly than having everything perfect technically. 

23 hours ago, Grem said:

Also the same about the audio right side being dominate. 

Grem, this was the problem with the first video.  But since then, I've addressed it.  

I can see that the original audio is always louder on the right in the original tracks in Premiere.  So I separate the tracks in Audacity and balance them in Cubase.  When I put the new mix back in Premiere, the meters go from their previous state of being louder on the right to being essentially even.  In all my years as a musician, I have never put as much attention to a close study of the balance between left and right.  I have to trust what I see in Cubase and Premiere.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Grem, this was the problem with the first video.  But since then, I've addressed it.  

I can see that the original audio is always louder on the right in the original tracks in Premiere.  So I separate the tracks in Audacity and balance them in Cubase.  When I put the new mix back in Premiere, the meters go from their previous state of being louder on the right to being essentially even.  In all my years as a musician, I have never put as much attention to a close study of the balance between left and right.  I have to trust what I see in Cubase and Premiere.

Something isn't right then, your audio definitely isn't centred and it should be... Sorry just want to help you track the problem. Use headphones not just eyes .-)

• Reid Rosefelt changed the title to My New Video: The Time I Made Madonna Laugh
On 2/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, cclarry said:

I have no problem with you putting your videos here Reid...but I'm not a mod...

We've gotten away from what Deals is all about.  We are all guilty of being off topic but we should also participate in the other parts of the forum.  I tend to blow them off if they are not in the right place.  We've created a bad habit.  

• Like 1

I just happened on this thread.  I enjoyed the first Madonna video, but after reading the first page of comments, I'm thinking - "Did I miss something?  I didn't see anything about making Madonna laugh".  So I rolled through all 5 pages and finally saw this most recent video.  

I really enjoyed it, but what I'd really like to hear about is the first time you showed Madonna Band-in-a-Box. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

visually the best yet :) and the glasses reflections are gone.

Reid if you want to send me the audio I'm happy to make it 'mono' or tell you how to do it yourself in cubase ..PM me if you need to.

Again,  it's nitpicking , but I'd like the audio to be 'drier' which means closer micing and some blankets/duvets...although that would be icing on the cake :)

also one very minor thought - I'm sure you've got an infinite store of these stories, and it's great you are enthusiastic about getting them out there, but if it were me I'd release them on a weekly schedule, plan 'long term' - but what do I know ? :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, simon said:

Reid if you want to send me the audio I'm happy to make it 'mono' or tell you how to do it yourself in cubase ..PM me if you need to.

Again,  it's nitpicking , but I'd like the audio to be 'drier' which means closer micing and some blankets/duvets...although that would be icing on the cake :)

also one very minor thought - I'm sure you've got an infinite store of these stories, and it's great you are enthusiastic about getting them out there, but if it were me I'd release them on a weekly schedule, plan 'long term' - but what do I know ? :D

Sheesh, you're such a mensch, Simon! What a credit to this community to make such a kind offer.  Okay, I didn't really have anything to say beyond that it just makes my day a little brighter to see people so helpful to others. Look at that support, Reid! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simon said:

Reid if you want to send me the audio I'm happy to make it 'mono' or tell you how to do it yourself in cubase ..PM me if you need to

Thanks!  I'll PM you tomorrow.

2 hours ago, simon said:

I'll keep thinking about audio, but putting up blankets and duvets and close mic'ing goes 1000% against what is essential to me: the ability to knock these out quickly.  Quick setup and takedown is a must.  And there's absolutely no room at all.  Every inch of space is being used for lighting.  Plus, what about the 15 foot ceilings? 

Yes, I could move to the other end of the loft, but the Brooklyn Bridge is right out the window, with the roar of traffic. 

I hope you can listen to the moist audio without too much agony.  Maybe it would help if I called it Air Rosefelt Studios? 

2 hours ago, simon said:

Once a week is definitely my plan.   Eventually.

But in the short run,  I think it's a huge waste if somebody discovers one of these and then there's no other videos to check out.  For example, if there are three or four "Desperately Seeking Susan" videos, they all help each other.  So I want at least a dozen or so videos of various types uploaded before I consider slowing down. 

Mary Spender has been doing a video a day lately.  She's doing okay. 😄

I don't know if I will be able to stick with this, but honestly I don't think this concept works until I have at least 50 of them.  Then people can find one video and they'll be able to hunt through the list and find one more thing.  I have no illusions about ever having many followers who like everything I do, but I do think it's possible that people will search for one movie or one person and then watch a video about another person or movie they like. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Thanks!  I'll PM you tomorrow.

I'll keep thinking about audio, but putting up blankets and duvets and close mic'ing goes 1000% against what is essential to me: the ability to knock these out quickly.  Quick setup and takedown is a must.  And there's absolutely no room at all.  Every inch of space is being used for lighting.  Plus, what about the 15 foot ceilings? 

Yes, I could move to the other end of the loft, but the Brooklyn Bridge is right out the window, with the roar of traffic. 

I hope you can listen to the moist audio without too much agony.  Maybe it would help if I called it Air Rosefelt Studios? 

Once a week is definitely my plan.   Eventually.

But in the short run,  I think it's a huge waste if somebody discovers one of these and then there's no other videos to check out.  For example, if there are three or four "Desperately Seeking Susan" videos, they all help each other.  So I want at least a dozen or so videos of various types uploaded before I consider slowing down. 

Mary Spender has been doing a video a day lately.  She's doing okay. 😄

I don't know if I will be able to stick with this, but honestly I don't think this concept works until I have at least 50 of them.  Then people can find one video and they'll be able to hunt through the list and find one more thing.  I have no illusions about ever having many followers who like everything I do, but I do think it's possible that people will search for one movie or one person and then watch a video about another person or movie they like. 

Beyond making sure you've done everything you can to optimize the videos for search,  you can always find online groups for fans of these movies, 80s movies, Madonna, etc and let them know about the videos to create awareness.  To be clear, I'm absolutely not suggesting spamming, but finding relevant places where people care about this type of content gather  -- think of them as the alphas -- and let them know that you created videos they will appreciate. 

I just want you to succeed and think you've really done a good job with your videos.  You're a really good storyteller and your rhythm is excellent in your latest video. 

• Like 1

Sorry to be rude - but can these posts be moved to another forum section? Forum topics should be about "deals" (and related audio / music software updates), and I keep seeing notifications about posts that are totally off topic. Why are these even being posted here?

2 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Sorry to be rude - but can these posts be moved to another forum section? Forum topics should be about "deals" (and related audio / music software updates), and I keep seeing notifications about posts that are totally off topic. Why are these even being posted here?

Reid made one thread here because Reid historically has been a very important part of this forum. Yes, technically it's not a deal post, but the deal forum is where a bunch of us know (and love) Reid. If it really bothers you, you can simply just ignore it. 

2 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

First, thank you @PavlovsCat  for your kind defense.

Carl, I think if you give a fair look at this forum, you will see that it is about a lot more than "deals."  Yes, people (mostly King Larry) post deals and sometimes somebody else points out a lower price.  But we also discuss all manner of things, from which instrument is the best, to our careers, to the business practices of companies, and many other things.  It starts with deals and can go all over the map.

And if you come to the forum a lot, you will see headlines marked "not a deal."   This is literally a deals forum, but it is also where a group of people regularly congregate to talk with people we have come to know.   This is a place we like to go and  we trust what the others have to say. 

Some people helpfully suggested that I post in another Cakewalk forum.  I did and there wasn't a single response.  That makes total sense--they don't know me. 

So I totally respect that you don't think this post should be allowed here, but others are okay with it.  My friend @Simeon Amburgey posts his videos here too.  He is sometimes demoing new software that is a special price, but not always.  He's one of us.

Please consider letting this go and, as @PavlovsCat suggested, just don't pay any attention to it.

All the best,

Reid

• Like 4