My New Video: The Time I Made Madonna Laugh

Reid Rosefelt

I'm not getting anywhere as a YouTuber.  Sure, I'll have 1000 subscribers by March or April (currently 953) , but you need 4000 yearly hours and I only have 3000 hours.  And even if I had 4000 hours, it might make me a YouTube partner, but I'd still be nowhere.

The problem is that I spend weeks making videos.  So I'm switching to something I can do effortlessly so I can do more of them. 

So yes, it's not music software, but maybe you will find my behind-the-scenes showbiz stories interesting.  I'll also be talking about movie marketing, which may be helpful to some musicians trying to figure out how to promote themselves.

Let me know Larry, if it's out of line for me to put future ones here.  But I feel like everybody here is a friend and they might be willing to follow me even into non-musical activities.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Reid, just as a digital marketer, I think your instincts are right on this move. I think you're more likely to see these videos get the numbers you want. On a related note, if you haven't already done so, make sure you optimize your videos, descriptions and tags for search. Search Engine Journal is a really good resource if you're looking to understand the area.  Best of luck.  I watched and gave your video a like, I hope others will do the same and support one of our own.  Nice job on the video, it's very interesting. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I'm not getting anywhere as a YouTuber.  Sure, I'll have 1000 subscribers by March or April (currently 953) , but you need 4000 yearly hours and I only have 3000 hours.  And even if I had 4000 hours, it might make me a YouTube partner, but I'd still be nowhere.

The problem is that I spend weeks making videos.  So I'm switching to something I can do effortlessly so I can do more of them. 

So yes, it's not music software, but maybe you will find my behind-the-scenes showbiz stories interesting.  I'll also be talking about movie marketing, which may be helpful to some musicians trying to figure out how to promote themselves.

Let me know Larry, if it's out of line for me to put future ones here.  But I feel like everybody here is a friend and they might be willing to follow me even into non-musical activities.

Love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I have no problem with you putting your videos here Reid...but I'm not a mod...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Foxall said:

I really enjoyed listening, thank you!

Because I'd love to see this take off for you, I'd suggest balancing the audio (it is mostly coming from the right channel), keep your glasses clean, and look directly at the camera.

Your stories are captivating - keep it up! 💗

agreed on all these  :) also If you're reading from the computer then move it so it's at camera level......plus watch the lighting reflected in your glasses

and they are points are nitpicking cos that was great. I think you're onto a winning idea there.  👍👍

• Like 4

Thanks for the advice everybody,  It's appreciated.  I'm so glad I put it up here because this is the kind of feedback I couldn't get anywhere else.   I already shot a second video, but I'll do some more tests before the third one.  I think the one I shot today is a little bit better at me looking into the camera, but I'll let you tell me.  Now that I know it's a big problem, I have more ideas for looking at the camera in the third video.  

First I would say that with the videos I used to do is that they would take a few hours to set up all the lights and audio and a few hours to take down.  I had lights that had to be set up on heavy stands that needed sand bags, and cables that needed to be taped down.   I had reflectors.  All kinds of things that had to be unpacked,   I had many issues with sound and was constantly working on it. 

So the idea of this was that I would have my camera and mic always set up and just use my Elgato lights.  Hang up the backdrop (5 minutes), turn everything on and go.  That's why I just did a new video in an hour.   The Emvoice video was two weeks.  .

I am very depressed that it seems like it's read.  Not one word of it is read.  It's completely just me talking. I did it four times and each time it was different, because I thought of different things that I wanted to talk about.  These are stories about my life.  One of the things that makes this go fast is I don't have to write a script, just decide what the story is.

But maybe what you're saying is that because I'm not looking at the camera, I looks like I'm looking at notes.   If so, I'm going to have to do a better job looking at the camera. 

In terms of reflections...  In the past I really did spend a lot of time trying to solve that, reading up and watching videos and then moving my lights around, and up and down. Over and over and over. I was obsessed trying to get it right. The lights are supposed to be high.  You can angle your glasses.  It's a sore point.  I spent hours on it and was never happy. (Then I discovered that there are reflections all over the place on CNN!)  So I decided with these videos, ***** the reflections. All my lights and stands are going to stay in their bags. 

But thank you for telling me it's a problem.  I'll give it another look.  It's lazy to just give up on it.

Thanks for the great note about the audio.   It was recorded with one mic in mono, but I think the problem is that I have very little hearing in my left ear, so I don't pay attention if I hear less on the left.  I assume it's just me.  Next time I'll look at the meters.  Thank you!

It can always be better.    Video #2 should be up Sunday or Monday.  I'll fix the sound at least.   Hopefully you will see more improvement in Video #3, which will be out next week.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mibby said:

Reid, I started watching, not knowing what to expect, and stayed for the whole thing and subbed.  Interesting and well told story!

Thank you.  Hopefully the storytelling will get people past the technical problems.  But I'll try to improve that, of course.   Even Rick Beato's first videos...

I think it may be working.  Eight new subscribers since I put it up hours ago.  Normally I get one new one a day.   953 then.  961 now.  Let's see if this lasts.   Of course some of those may be people who liked my Emvoice video.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Thanks for the advice everybody,  It's appreciated.  I'm so glad I put it up here because this is the kind of feedback I couldn't get anywhere else.   I already shot a second video, but I'll do some more tests before the third one.  I think the one I shot today is a little bit better at me looking into the camera, but I'll let you tell me.  Now that I know it's a big problem, I have more ideas for looking at the camera in the third video.  

First I would say that with the videos I used to do is that they would take a few hours to set up all the lights and audio and a few hours to take down.  I had lights that had to be set up on heavy stands that needed sand bags, and cables that needed to be taped down.   I had reflectors.  All kinds of things that had to be unpacked,   I had many issues with sound and was constantly working on it. 

So the idea of this was that I would have my camera and mic always set up and just use my Elgato lights.  Hang up the backdrop (5 minutes), turn everything on and go.  That's why I just did a new video in an hour.   The Emvoice video was two weeks.  .

I am very depressed that it seems like it's read.  Not one word of it is read.  It's completely just me talking. I did it four times and each time it was different, because I thought of different things that I wanted to talk about.  These are stories about my life.  One of the things that makes this go fast is I don't have to write a script, just decide what the story is.

But maybe what you're saying is that because I'm not looking at the camera, I looks like I'm looking at notes.   If so, I'm going to have to do a better job looking at the camera. 

In terms of reflections...  In the past I really did spend a lot of time trying to solve that, reading up and watching videos and then moving my lights around, and up and down. Over and over and over. I was obsessed trying to get it right. The lights are supposed to be high.  You can angle your glasses.  It's a sore point.  I spent hours on it and was never happy. (Then I discovered that there are reflections all over the place on CNN!)  So I decided with these videos, ***** the reflections. All my lights and stands are going to stay in their bags. 

But thank you for telling me it's a problem.  I'll give it another look.  It's lazy to just give up on it.

Thanks for the great note about the audio.   It was recorded with one mic in mono, but I think the problem is that I have very little hearing in my left ear, so I don't pay attention if I hear less on the left.  I assume it's just me.  Next time I'll look at the meters.  Thank you!

It can always be better.    Video #2 should be up Sunday or Monday.  I'll fix the sound at least.   Hopefully you will see more improvement in Video #3, which will be out next week.  

Reid, I think like anything, the more of these you do, the more comfortable you're going to become. I think you're a natural storyteller -- which, of course, is a big part of being a successful publicist. I knew when I first saw a video you posted maybe a couple of years ago and I watched another video from your channel that you were a very interesting person, and of course, a lot of people are going to be interested in your stories of working with major stars as a publicist. That has very wide appeal, as you know. It's inevitable -- based on your other videos -- that as you do more of the storytelling videos, you'll become more comfortable and enjoy them more. We'll keep watching. I really love how the community reacted to your thread. I love seeing the encouragement and helpfulness -- this is what I love about this community. People here want to see you succeed, me included. And I don't think there's any question that you will succeed. Just don't forget us when your channel blows up and you're a big YouTube star!  :)

Edited by PavlovsCat
Grammatical edits.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Reid, I think like anything, the more of these you do, the more comfortable you're going to become. I think you're a natural storyteller -- which, of course, is a big part of being a successful publicist. I knew when I first saw a video you posted maybe a couple of years ago and I watched another video from your channel that you were a very interesting person, and of course, a lot of people are going to be interested in your stories of working with major stars as a publicist. That has very wide appeal, as you know. It's inevitable -- based on your other videos -- that as you do more of the storytelling videos, you'll become more comfortable and enjoy them more. We'll keep watching. I really love how the community reacted to your thread. I love seeing the encouragement and helpfulness -- this is what I love about this community. People here want to see you succeed, me included. And I don't think there's any question that you will succeed. Just don't forget us when your channel blows up and you're a big YouTube star!  :)

People here are helping me in a way that only people here could ever help me.  It is so appreciated.  I wish I read this before I shot the next video.   Oh well, people seem to like it.

YouTube is really all about Search.  Somebody wants to find out about a certain kind of software.  They search and discover Simeon.  And then they hear him play and his passion for what he does... and they are hooked on Simeon.  They want to watch all his videos. 

The celebrities in my videos are searchable.  I've been told there are a few people out there who are fans of Madonna.   It will just keep adding up.  I did Louise Brooks today (not a star that everybody knows, but a beautiful story) but next week I am thinking about "The Mosquito Coast" so that will be Harrison Ford and River Phoenix and Helen Mirren.   On and on.  I've encountered a lot of people over more than 40 years as a publicist.   So many stories that I'll have to break it up.   I will eventually do another 3 or 4 videos on "Desperately Seeking Susan," but I didn't want to do them all in a row, so that people think this is a DSS Channel.  

And I'll seed these things in social media eventually.  The first goal is to get five or six of them up as soon as I can.  If people discover one video, I want to have some other things around for them to try.  Hopefully with not too many reflections on my glasses! 

You really have to be extraordinary to make it on YouTube.  I don't have dreams like that, but what I was doing was not working at all.  It would be nice if it would give off enough $$ to pay for my expenses in making them.  And I'll still put up videos of my own music because I enjoy it, and I'll do the occasional music software video.  

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

People here are helping me in a way that only people here could ever help me.  It is so appreciated.  I wish I read this before I shot the next video.   Oh well, people seem to like it.

YouTube is really all about Search.  Somebody wants to find out about a certain kind of software.  They search and discover Simeon.  And then they hear him play and his passion for what he does... and they are hooked on Simeon.  They want to watch all his videos. 

The celebrities in my videos are searchable.  I've been told there are a few people out there who are fans of Madonna.   It will just keep adding up.  I did Louise Brooks today (not for everybody) but next week I am thinking about "The Mosquito Coast" so that will be Harrison Ford and River Phoenix and Helen Mirren.   On and on.  I've encountered a lot of people over more than 40 years as a publicist.   So many stories that I'll have to break it up.   I will eventually do another 3 or 4 videos on "Desperately Seeking Susan," but I didn't want to do them all in a row, so that people think this is a DSS Channel. 

And I'll seed these things in social media eventually.  The first goal is to get five or six of them up as soon as I can.  If people discover one video, I want to have some other things around for them to try.  Hopefully with not too many reflections on my glasses! 

Also, I did get bothered that Madonna would be rude and insulting to you. Personally, if I had my choice of hanging out at the nerd table with Reid or the cool kid table with Madonna, the choice would be easy, I'd choose Reid.

• Like 4

>>>  But maybe what you're saying is that because I'm not looking at the camera, I looks like I'm looking at notes.   If so, I'm going to have to do a better job looking at the camera.

I suspect this is exactly what he meant. I thought for a moment that you might be reading as well due to where your eyes stay fixed - not due to your storytelling. If you look in the camera this illusion will go away. 🌞

• Like 1

Reid, please don't sweat the "production value" of your story.  I know you are a perfectionist, but

If this was a song,     a rough cut if you will      , it would be like BB King on the Crown label.

It is more about the song.

and that my friend was a great song.  I loved the scratchy record quality (figuratively speaking).

I can't wait to hear more.

• Like 1

Fell in love with Rosanna Arquette in Scorsese’s After Hours, making this film poster quite iconic for me. Knowing that the idea came from TTF now made it simply divine. Thanks, Reid, for creating an important image of my college years. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

personally it didn't sound like you read it at all to me - sounded totally natural and that's one of the things that was good about it.

I only mentioned 'read' as it looked like you were staring (downwards) at a computer screen that we can see reflected in your glasses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I haven't watched the video, but going by the comments here the thing that struck me is that if you're not reading then don't wear the glasses.

Easy problem solving brought to you by Paulo ™. 

I thought the entire look - including the glasses, jacket, shirt etc.... was perfect. 

• Like 1

• Reid Rosefelt changed the title to My New Video: The Time I Made Madonna Laugh