DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IGNORE FX RACK AND INDIVIDUAL OFF BY EFFECT

Milton Sica

Question

I use a Keystation 49es keyboard and experience latency when my master effects rack is on.

As below...

image.png.1b26b8638eccda400cc3c9814640b579.png

If I use the menu option "IGNORE FX RACK" I get "zero latency". Press the key and the note comes out immediately.

image.png.4c1c06f043ddc60c7fbe426e3c59c46f.png

But if I deactivate effect by effect, one by one, the same result is not obtained. Latency remains.

My question is about what happens internally in each of the operations, because I think that turning off effects one by one until all are turned off, should be the same as when IGNORE FX RACK.

4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

A fundme account would be great to get money for the licencing of the Concrete limiter. 😀

You know what- I did a shoot out trying a bunch of the Brickwall limiters I had on hand and the Loud Max resulted in the closest to keeping it's setting over all of them including the Concrete and the BT limiters.  I set them all at -1.0 and then blast them with a project using the You Lean Loudness meter to show results. Some of them gave readings dangeriously close to - .02 but the Loud max was best at only going as low as - .08  with exact same matterial. 

The Odd thing about my test is that  the You Lean Loudness meter revealed this flaw. Cakewalks  as well as Span and the M Loudness Meters all still showed only  - 1.0 so they fool you into thinking your OK. Apparently the You Lean Loudness meter is considered more acurate then anything else available too.  I think it catches readings on a finer scale. 

An interesting one was the Boost11. An often overlooked limiter. It did better than most others. 

Edited by John Vere

On 2/18/2022 at 6:43 AM, Milton Sica said:

I use a Keystation 49es keyboard and experience latency when my master effects rack is on.

As below...

If I use the menu option "IGNORE FX RACK" I get "zero latency". Press the key and the note comes out immediately.

But if I deactivate effect by effect, one by one, the same result is not obtained. Latency remains.

My question is about what happens internally in each of the operations, because I think that turning off effects one by one until all are turned off, should be the same as when IGNORE FX RACK.

@scook  explained this way back in the thread. 

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We own the licenses to them all. It was intentionally not included in the free set of released plugins when we first released Cbb. It may be released in the future.

This makes me excited. The Concrete Limiter sounds great. 

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

the Loud max was best at only going as low as - .08  with exact same matterial. 

Yeah. It is a great little limiter especially for a plugin that is free. I often send an e-mail there to keep the developer interested to consider redesigning its UI. 

An interesting one was the Boost11. An often overlooked limiter. It did better than most others. 

I agree. 

The Odd thing about my test is that  the You Lean Loudness meter revealed this flaw. 

This is really interesting to know. I do have the Youlean. Now you've just made me curious and eager to test this. 

This is a must when I get home. Normally when I encounter this, I know theres something i didn't EQ right in the low end. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1