Cakewalk/Realtek/ASIO and Windows 11 🙄

Michael Finnity

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, Sheds said:

I actually ended up buying a Focusrite -- will report.

Ok, maybe this is the end of my saga -- not sure if anyone is still there.  But I said I'd report. 

I got the Focusrite 18i8.  I installed it at the end of last week --  all went smoothly (I did spill a cup of coffee on the floor moving things around, but I don't think I can blame Focusrite on that -- though I did tell me wife it was their fault).

The important news is that everything works now just like it did before I upgraded my computer.  Cakewalk works like it always had.   If nothing else, I'm glad to know I wasn't doing anything stupid.  Man, that was frustrating. 

Truth be told, I have had no problems with the Steinberg until the new computer and sorry to see it go -- in some ways it was nicer.  But, you know life goes on.

Thanks for everyone jumping in with advice. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

TL;DR - Realtek ASIO hangs Cakewalk, disable Realtek in windows sound devices, uncheck Realtek ASIO in Cakewalk both input and output, This will enable choice of other ASIO devices in Cakewalk so now you can choose your own

The longer version:

This thread helped me solve a very annoying problem when I installed Cakewalk on a new laptop. Took a lot of time, effort and frustration, but I finally managed to solve it with the help of this excellent thread and linked resources. Here is my problem and solution, I hope it can help others as well:

Got a new i7 laptop pre-installed with Win11

Installed the latest Behringer drivers for my UMC204HD (good old  work-horse of an audio interface, which got updated drivers lately).

Installed Cakewalk. Went to Preferences -> audio setup. Was very surprised to find a realtek ASIO driver already present . which almost immediately caused Cakewalk to hang so I couldn't disable it...

After a lot of trial&error (and reading here and research), disabled realtek in the Windows settings->sound->devices, and managed to switch Cakewalk to WASAPI and using the UMC204HD. Interesting to note (like the original post here) that the realtek ASIO driver kept showing up, and when the realtek ASIO is enabled and Realtek is enabled in windows, it hangs Cakewalk. However, when realtek is disabled Cakewalk can run.

With WASAPI I confirmed that all is working, and then switched to ASIO while realtek is still disabled. Cakewalk automatically selected realtec ASIO for both input and output, and showed the UMC as greyed-out option. But it didn't hang. After unchecking Realtek from both input and output, the UMC ASIO became enabled, so I could choose and then VOILA - all is working

I do wish Realtek ASIO was a real thing, as it could provide an excellent mobile experience without the need for an external ASIO-enabled audio interface. From what I read it seems we are not there yet

Thank you again for all the contributors here - really helped me debug and solve the issue I had.

Windows 10 recently sabotaged my on-board Soundblaster ASIO so that CbB wouldn't even open until I deleted its ASIO listing in the registry. Before that update it was fine.

That's my story anyway.

EDIT:
New Windows 10 install restored the Soundblaster.

Edited by sjoens