IK SE Titles for $39.99

cclarry

5 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I wonder what is meant by SE "hosts previously purchased synths" while the full version "upgrades previously purchased synths". What do these upgrades entail?

SE means Special Edition...code for "scaled down".  Only the full version upgrades your synths to the 2.0 versions

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

SE means Special Edition...code for "scaled down".  Only the full version upgrades your synths to the 2.0 versions

Yes, I understand that. But what does "upgrades your synths to the 2.0 versions" really mean? What additional features does it add to version 1 synths?

19 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I wonder what is meant by SE "hosts previously purchased synths" while the full version "upgrades previously purchased synths". What do these upgrades entail?

For all practical purposes, it means it will play sounds that you own from Syntronik 1 and Syntronik 1 Deluxe, but they will not be editable in Syntronik 2.  For that you need the full or MAX version which will upgrade the sounds (as opposed to merely hosting them). 

Edited by User 905133
to add "in Syntronik 2" (clarification)
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, User 905133 said:
On 2/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Doug Rintoul said:

For all practical purposes, it means it will play sounds that you own from Syntronik 1 and Syntronik 1 Deluxe, but they will not be editable in Syntronik 2.  For that you need the full or MAX version which will upgrade the sounds (as opposed to merely hosting them). 

2022-04-22  UPDATE:

Based on what I had been reading from IK at the time, it seemed that my above comment was true.  However, over the past few days there has been additional discussion both here and in other forums and it now seems my references to playing and upgrading "sounds" wasn't the complete picture. Based on recently posted discussions:

• I now believe that to IK "synths" refers to what I would call "the underlying synth engine" as opposed to what can be called "content" (presets, samples, etc.).
  • I now believe that IK did NOT intend to mean that "previously purchased synths" included the "instrument presets."
  • In other words to IK, "synth" meant "synth engine" not "synth product."
  • In short, "upgrades previously purchased synths" does not refer to previously purchased instrument presets.

With this recent clarification I now understand that:

• In terms of CS and SE "hosts previously purchased synths" means they will play sounds that we own from Syntronik 1 and Syntronik 1 Deluxe (as I said).
  • In terms of Full and MAX, "upgrades previously purchased synths" means that we now get an upgraded synth engine which:
    • can be used to edit new presets (factory and user) using:
      • the new Edit Panel, including up to 4 "Oscillator" layers
      • what IK calls "wave sets"

Regarding my original post:

• For all practical purposes, any version of Syntronik 2 will play sounds presets that you own from  Syntronik 1 and Syntronik 1 Deluxe, but they will not be editable using the new Syntronik 2 Edit Panel. They can still be edited using the Syntronik [1] style virtual hardware edit panel which is included in Syntronik 2.

For recent details see, the IK FAQ sheet here.

Edited by User 905133
typos fixed + a few clarifications added + link added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Peter - IK Multimedia Are you saying that IK lacks the ability to upgrade the presets?    I have seen other companies who have recompiled samples, multisamples, and presets to make them work in newer versions of their synths. 

I totally get that IK chose not upgrade the presets from the start, but I hope you can see that by IK saying CS and SE host previously purchased synths while Full and MAX upgrade  previously purchased synths, consumers may have been led to believe by the website that previously purchased presets packaged with the synths would be upgraded, (not just the synth engine).

In case its not clear, saying that "Because v1 presets don't and cannot contain the Wave Sets that are mentioned in the FAQ so it would be literally impossible to edit them in the same way as V2 presets." does not mean that the v1 presets cannot be upgraded to v 2 in ways that other companies have recompiled samples, multisamples, and presets. 

I fully recognize that IK might not have the ability to upgrade the previously purchased v1 presets to v2 presets the way other companies have recompiled resources.  That's why I am asking.

11 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Because v1 presets don't and cannot contain the Wave Sets that are mentioned in the FAQ so it would be literally impossible to edit them in the same way as V2 presets.

Are you referencing the FAQ I linked to in my post or a different FAQ?  If you mean the one I linked, I did not see any reference to "Wave Sets" being mentioned.  Is it possible that by "Wave Sets" you mean the st3i and st4i files? 

Hmmmmm.  I suppose if st3i and st4i files contain what I know of as samples, multisamples, and presets, then maybe "Wave Sets" = "st3i and st4i files?"  If so, does IK have a glossary of the terms and phrases it uses?  I only know of "Wave Sets" from seeing that section in Syntronik 2 and I have never looked into the structure and use of st3i and st4i files.  Is there a document that goes into those details?   

Edited by User 905133
added "in"