Go-to sampler for cakewalk

satya

2 minutes ago, Tapsa Kuusniemi said:

Of those three only CR8 is actually a samper you can use as a general purpose sample player. The other two are drum oriented. Sure you probably can do chromatic sampled instruments with them, but then you will have to load samples into each and every pad... So CR8 is the only traditional sampler. 

I Included rest coz i thought CR8 would be hard on CPU

20 minutes ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

I Included rest coz i thought CR8 would be hard on CPU

A free and lightweight sampler would be Decent Sampler: https://www.decentsamples.com/product/decent-sampler-plugin/

The drawback with that is that you need to script a file for it to use samples in it (it's actually very simple).

Then you also have TX16W: https://www.tx16wx.com/

And Big Fish Audio has their Momentum: https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html 

Don't how lightweight TX16W or Momentum are.

• Like 1

It depends on what I need a sampler for. If it is Boombap type sample flipping Serato sample is king. I won't count DAW-like programs like Maschine or MPC that can be used as plugins. They bith have excellent samplers but kind of overkill for simple sampling. For preset instrument libraries Kontakt.  For simple one shot drum samples Sitala works. 

I’m using Groove Agent 5 SE for drums. It’s incredibly powerful and low on CPU. It has every FX and routing option you can imagine. You can get it with any version of Cubase including the LE you can get for $10 online. Just make sure to download it from the VSTi tab of the Steinberg download app, not the one under your Cubase license (this way you can use it in other DAWs). Once it’s installed go to the Cubase tab (of the version you own) and download Groove Agent’s content. Boom.

For one shot samples Komplete Kontrol (free) is VERY handy, with FX, MPC sampler emulation and VST support to load your effects.

For anything more complicated I use Kontakt.

Edited by Esteban Villanova

CR8 usage in Reaper with the native Reaper performance meter.

Cakewalk doesn't seem to have a way to breakout use by plugin or track, but I imagine that it would be close.

Reaper shows less that 1% CPU being used by CR8 while playing back a loop. Look down at the track usage in the bottom pane, not the total CPU usage at the top.

Reaper - Performance meter - CR8.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Users are reporting that CR8 is using about 900 MB of RAM per empty instance though 😐

True that! Not a very good candidate to use on every track in a big mix unless you freeze as you go...

But if that's how you work, you probably need to invest in Ableton with it's integrated Simpler and Sampler. :)

Edited by abacab