UAD Microphones

cclarry

27 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

There is a lot to be said about the right mic for the source.

An SM57 can sound a whole lot better than a SDC on a guitar cab in a live band room as an example of a cheap $100 mic beating out an expensive one.  It is just better suited for the job generally speaking.  

I once did a session where I was playing bodhran (Irish hand drum) and the engineer put a u87 on the drum. I told him that was probably too much mic and to use a 57. The producer told me the dude knew what he was doing so we cut the take and the producer hated it. Stuck a 57 on it, laid the track, everyone smiled and that was that.

Ok ok, I stand corrected 😄

But still, I'M not paying it. I'll slap on Soothe 2, some PA dirt box, reverb and delay, play a fat Moog bass under it and nobody is the wiser I'm here in my untreated livingroom with just a mic reflection shield and a Behringer XM5800. Or better yet, that IK Multimedia measure mic and their Mic room plugin.

Mic shield.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2022 at 1:33 AM, Tommy Byrnes said:

I once did a session where I was playing bodhran (Irish hand drum) and the engineer put a u87 on the drum. I told him that was probably too much mic and to use a 57. The producer told me the dude knew what he was doing so we cut the take and the producer hated it. Stuck a 57 on it, laid the track, everyone smiled and that was that.

It's amazing how the choice of microphone can make such a difference, especially with an instrument like the bodhran. It's cool that your intuition about using a 57 proved to be spot-on, leading to a successful take and everyone leaving with smiles.