2022.02 Feedback

Morten Saether

A couple of days ago I reinstalled Windows and installed Windows 10 Pro build 19044.1618 for the first time. It was only tonight that I had time to install and try out Cakewalk, and I immediately discovered a small bug: the CPU meter options does not switch. I usually put the option "Overall App Performance" there, but now none of the options are toggled, only the first option remains selected by default. The system is absolutely clean, about 10 plug-ins are installed, all the latest system drivers, all Runtimes and C ++ are installed, what could be the reason?

Edited by IgoRr

10 hours ago, IgoRr said:

A couple of days ago I reinstalled Windows and installed Windows 10 Pro build 19044.1618 for the first time. It was only tonight that I had time to install and try out Cakewalk, and I immediately discovered a small bug: the CPU meter options does not switch. I usually put the option "Overall App Performance" there, but now none of the options are toggled, only the first option remains selected by default. The system is absolutely clean, about 10 plug-ins are installed, all the latest system drivers, all Runtimes and C ++ are installed, what could be the reason?

Try setting your Workspace to None (this defaults to Basic on a new install).

57 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Try setting your Workspace to None (this defaults to Basic on a new install).

This is how I always set up the interface from the very beginning  - "None", and this is the first time such a bug occurs.

Edited by IgoRr

6 hours ago, John T said:

Can confirm I'm getting the same behaviour.

Strangely, this same version of Cakewalk worked fine in Windows 8.1 Pro, and this option was complete working. I just installed Windows 10 Pro a week ago, and now I have noticed such a bug in it.

7 hours ago, John T said:

Can confirm I'm getting the same behaviour.

Strange. Performance Module metering options are working as expected here on my laptop with Windows 10 Pro, and on my main DAW with Windows 10 Home.

I don't have a good idea what might cause this other than dependency on some other CW config setting or interoperability issue with some third-party software/firmware/hardware. Doesn't seem to be a widely experienced issue, but I would guess most users are not changing the setting very often.

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

dependency on some other CW config setting or interoperability issue with some third-party software/firmware/hardware.

I found this bug on a completely clean system, I just installed Windows before that, and then immediately Cakewalk, and after installing it, I usually configure the interface, and select this option. And it didn't work right away, so I was surprised.

30 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I'm stumped, but it's definitely system-specific - not happening everywhere.

Yeap, I've noticed that talking to people on a number of issues. Some get them, some don't. I believe it's in the way CW interacts with the drivers - sound and graphics, maybe the vcredists. I often get the strange phenomenon of deactivating plugins - so decreasing the CPU load - and getting crackles and pops that don't happen with them activated. It happens mostly with Waves plugins, but not only. Weirdly enough, if I deactivate the plugin by deactivating the entire insert FX box, the issue doesn't appear. And it behaves differently when activating/deactivating a plugin from its FX box rectangle, as opposed to its own on/off switch.

it’s completely strange for me that under Windows 8.1 Pro absolutely nothing like this happened in 7-8 years of working in it. But exactly the same thing was installed, now there are even fewer plugins, because over the years I have made sure that I never use most of them. Personally, I concluded that these are some features of Windows 10.

@Noel Borthwick

Post here, because it was here that I posted and to praise the new policy of the Forum and its moderators that I found much more positive than deleting the topic.

My thread was removed from the thread it didn't refer to and reclassified by moderators as a new thread.

That is great ! Congratulations !

To this new evolution I would add, when this is done, to allow the user to know the operation.

I really liked this new policy.

Export window bug

Export window still has a bug that sometimes happens when I'm choosing my External Encoder preset custom Format  I've named Mp3 VBR4 + Wav. It's supposed to create a wav file and an mp3 as the end product

IN the External encoder configuration box I have mp3 as the file extension and a check by "Keep source file". I have 4 lame DLL files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. . The command line is lame -V4 --vbr-new -m j %I %O

In the Export window under "Format" under "File type" is Mp3 VBR4 + Wav, which is my custom External Encoder preset. I also have MP3 VBR, which is the same except it doesn't keep the source file (wav file)

When I choose this "MP3 VBR" in the Format box of the Export window, about 50% of the time it creates both wav and mp3, even though it's supposed to create only the mp3. The Export window has worked this way since this new one came out a few months ago. There was discussion about this and I thought it would be fixed.

I realize this may be a low priority bug, so maybe I should find an alternate way of doing this using the Task feature in the Export window. 

Edited by gmp

Don't know if it's directly related to the current version, but I haven't had it do it earlier (as far as I recall).
The arpeggiator crashes the program if I close a project which uses it, then open another one which also uses it.  Garbage collection?  Not releasing memory?  Don't know.
Here's the Windows Even Log for it:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          03/27/2022 09:57:20
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Win10
Description:
Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 28.2.0.39, time stamp: 0x6228b87d
Faulting module name: Arpeggiator.dll, version: 17.5.4.0, time stamp: 0x56df59d7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000cb688
Faulting process id: 0x4e10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d841a36fea2471
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\BandlabCakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Arpeggiator.dll
Report Id: 5081fc85-b178-4aa3-b2fc-34dc82707ad3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-03-27T06:57:20.9569408Z" />
    <EventRecordID>29923</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Win10</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Cakewalk.exe</Data>
    <Data>28.2.0.39</Data>
    <Data>6228b87d</Data>
    <Data>Arpeggiator.dll</Data>
    <Data>17.5.4.0</Data>
    <Data>56df59d7</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000000000cb688</Data>
    <Data>4e10</Data>
    <Data>01d841a36fea2471</Data>
    <Data>E:\Program Files\BandlabCakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Arpeggiator.dll</Data>
    <Data>5081fc85-b178-4aa3-b2fc-34dc82707ad3</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

58 minutes ago, sadicus said:

After installing this version, there is 1 sec lag from pressing a note to hearing it.

This is highly unlikely to be directly related to the update in my view. Most likely due to a plugin that induces PDC, but the worst of these will generally cause no more than 1/3 of second latency (16384 samples).

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:22 AM, Daniel J. Wojcik said:

Don't know if it's directly related to the current version, but I haven't had it do it earlier (as far as I recall).
The arpeggiator crashes the program if I close a project which uses it, then open another one which also uses it.  Garbage collection?  Not releasing memory?  Don't know.
Here's the Windows Even Log for it:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          03/27/2022 09:57:20
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Win10
Description:
Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 28.2.0.39, time stamp: 0x6228b87d
Faulting module name: Arpeggiator.dll, version: 17.5.4.0, time stamp: 0x56df59d7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000cb688
Faulting process id: 0x4e10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d841a36fea2471
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\BandlabCakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Arpeggiator.dll
Report Id: 5081fc85-b178-4aa3-b2fc-34dc82707ad3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-03-27T06:57:20.9569408Z" />
    <EventRecordID>29923</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Win10</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Cakewalk.exe</Data>
    <Data>28.2.0.39</Data>
    <Data>6228b87d</Data>
    <Data>Arpeggiator.dll</Data>
    <Data>17.5.4.0</Data>
    <Data>56df59d7</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000000000cb688</Data>
    <Data>4e10</Data>
    <Data>01d841a36fea2471</Data>
    <Data>E:\Program Files\BandlabCakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins\Arpeggiator.dll</Data>
    <Data>5081fc85-b178-4aa3-b2fc-34dc82707ad3</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

If you attach the dump file that is created (link is shown in error dialog) it ma help us find what’s causing it.

Empty track-subfolders cannot be moved, they are always "stuck" at the bottom of the parent folder (below all the tracks). You can "grab" them with the mouse, but they won't move when you release the button. Is this by design or a bug?

I kind of expect subfolders to be movable, even if they are empty.

Sorry if it's the wrong thread, I just ran into this with the latest build and thought it might be new?

1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

Empty track-subfolders cannot be moved, they are always "stuck" at the bottom of the parent folder (below all the tracks). You can "grab" them with the mouse, but they won't move when you release the button. Is this by design or a bug?

I kind of expect subfolders to be movable, even if they are empty.

Sorry if it's the wrong thread, I just ran into this with the latest build and thought it might be new?

It's by design.  When folders were first implemented, they weren't implemented as first class citizens like tracks are - their order is dictated by the track order.  So if a folder has no tracks in it, it's put at the bottom of its parent track. 

The main two reasons this wasn't changed when subfolders were introduced were:
1. It was quicker (and much less risky) to follow the existing design, and;
2. It provides better compatibility with older versions - i.e. you can load a newer project into SONAR, do some work, save it and it'll load back into CbB with the structure intact ( assuming you've not moved around or deleted folders too much ).

• Like 2

IgoRr said:
"I immediately discovered a small bug: the CPU meter options does not switch."

Confirmed here as well. any attempt to switch and it reverts back to default.

Win10 Home 19042 - Non Win11 compatible Intel processor.

EDIT: Just checked it in SPlat and same issue so maybe been around awhile?

Edited by sjoens

On 3/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, gmp said:

Export window bug

Export window still has a bug that sometimes happens when I'm choosing my External Encoder preset custom Format  I've named Mp3 VBR4 + Wav. It's supposed to create a wav file and an mp3 as the end product

IN the External encoder configuration box I have mp3 as the file extension and a check by "Keep source file". I have 4 lame DLL files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. . The command line is lame -V4 --vbr-new -m j %I %O

In the Export window under "Format" under "File type" is Mp3 VBR4 + Wav, which is my custom External Encoder preset. I also have MP3 VBR, which is the same except it doesn't keep the source file (wav file)

When I choose this "MP3 VBR" in the Format box of the Export window, about 50% of the time it creates both wav and mp3, even though it's supposed to create only the mp3. The Export window has worked this way since this new one came out a few months ago. There was discussion about this and I thought it would be fixed.

I realize this may be a low priority bug, so maybe I should find an alternate way of doing this using the Task feature in the Export window. 

@gmp - we've found the cause of this issue and it's been fixed for the next release.

• Like 2