Cakewalk Platinum or Free

Craig Wojo

Just wondering if I should keep my Sonar Platinum (yes... I bought it. Should have waited a year or so) or should I download the free DAW from BandLab and use that? What are the differences?

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

Edited by Craig Wojo

The way to do it is 1) install Sonar Platinum, 2) install CbB, then 3) forget about Sonar Platinum. The reason for installing it is that CbB will see all the Sonar plug-ins that don't ship with CbB.

Make sure you keep CbB updated. The updates aren't monthly, but they are really nailing down the loose ends. CbB is a better program than Sonar was.

• Like 2

I have both installed (Platinum and CbBL) and use Platinum because I find a problem with CbBL.  

After shortening / lengthening an audio clip with CTRL + SHIFT, when doing the Bounce to Clip I deform the wave.  

The result is not like the sample (shortened or elongated) but distorted to the eye and to the ear.  This has never happened to me with Platinum.  

If someone has a solution I would appreciate it.  Regards. /Antonio (sorry for my google-english).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Antonio López Zambrano said:

I have both installed (Platinum and CbBL) and use Platinum because I find a problem with CbBL.  

After shortening / lengthening an audio clip with CTRL + SHIFT, when doing the Bounce to Clip I deform the wave.  

The result is not like the sample (shortened or elongated) but distorted to the eye and to the ear.  This has never happened to me with Platinum.  

If someone has a solution I would appreciate it.  Regards. /Antonio (sorry for my google-english).

The issue is likely to do with your online / offline stretch algorithm settings.

When you stretch audio, by default it uses a quick & dirty online render method. This is very fast, but doesn't sound good. To get it to sound good you need to "Bounce to clip(s)". The idea being, that you can make lots of tweaks very quickly to get an indication of your results, then use "Bounce to clip(s)" when you're finished.

If this isn't what you want, you can change both methods to be the same (or just match what is set within Platinum):

StretchMethods.png

• Like 1

SPlat did not have Elastique. And after CbB did the latest updates to Elastique Pro I started using it much more and am now wondering how I ever did without it! JK

But seriously, streaching is much much better in CbB that it was in Platinum.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, Craig Wojo said:

yes... I bought it. Should have waited a year or so

If you would have waited, you would have missed the freebies that came with Sonar Platinum. And those freebies can still be used in CbB. So your still getting your money's worth.

Hi msmcleod

Thank you very much for your didactic help.

I believe that everything has been solved.

I have been doing tests since yesterday I have configured as "Elastique PRO" instead of "Elastique Efficient" and so far everything is fine.

I have also tried with "Radius Mix Advanced" and it is also good. Apparently my problem was in the default option "Elastique efficient". This problem was the only one that did not let me move forward with Cakewalk by BandLab. Now I'm happy.

Thanks again for your help.

Greetings  /Antonio

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craig Wojo said:

Since I downloaded and installed CW by BandLab, should I delete Cakewalk Sonar Platinum that I have installed also?

No - keep Sonar installed.

Sonar comes with a lot of free 3rd party plugins/instruments you don't get with Cakewalk. You'll want to keep them if  you want to use them in Cakewalk as well.

In any case, Sonar itself only takes up around 200Mb.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, Antonio López Zambrano said:

Hi msmcleod

Thank you very much for your didactic help.

I believe that everything has been solved.

I have been doing tests since yesterday I have configured as "Elastique PRO" instead of "Elastique Efficient" and so far everything is fine.

I have also tried with "Radius Mix Advanced" and it is also good. Apparently my problem was in the default option "Elastique efficient". This problem was the only one that did not let me move forward with Cakewalk by BandLab. Now I'm happy.

Thanks again for your help.

Greetings  /Antonio

@Antonio López Zambrano Elastique pro will sound better than efficient. However you shouldn't be getting distortion on efficient. Could you please send us  a simple project or wave file that shows this problem? We can send it to the elastique developers for analysis. In our tests we don't see distortion or any visual issues using the efficient mode.

• Like 1