Updated my DAW.

Shane_B.

21 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Another thing that takes a lot from my cpu is Windows defender. Hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE will bring up tasks. I click on that to see where my cpu might be taking a hit.

If you are on windows 10, you can also right click on the bottom toolbar and select "Task Manager" from the pop up dialog box.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

If you are on windows 10, you can also right click on the bottom toolbar and select "Task Manager" from the pop up dialog box.

Also Ctrl-Shift-Esc. I karate-chop Ctrl-Shift with the side of my palm and use middle finger for Esc.

23 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Another thing that takes a lot from my cpu is Windows defender. Hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE will bring up tasks. I click on that to see where my cpu might be taking a hit. 

It's odd that only one of my cores was taking the hit while the other 5 ( 12 total in hyperthread mode) were ok.

You got me curious as to what was running and what it was using on my system so I took a look at Task Manager.

Window's Defender is using 0% of my CPU when I'm at idle. I tried loading Studio One and watched Task Manager. Window's Defender upped to 4% then went back to 0%. Studio One used 3.4% loading then 0% when idle. It did seem to load a lot in to memory though. I loaded a project and it appeared to put the entire thing in to memory. It used 1.6GB but was still at 0% idle.

The Brave web browser uses my GPU and it's memory. There are 3 things using the GPU on my system. The other two are generic windows runtime items. Ironically, the Nvidia background software does not run on the GPU. For a single window open in Brave it's dumping 550MB in to my GPU's memory and using the GPU's processing. It bounces up to about 3% when I'm navigating a page or opening a new tab or typing. But it falls back to 0% when idle.

I've never had a system running so lean and smooth. And for so long. It was a regular occurrence to have to re-install XP. I've never had to do anything with Windows 7 or Windows 10. I'm very happy with the system I have now. I hope they change their requirements for Windows 11 and support this CPU.

I think Windows defender only drags things down when  it's working which isn't often. I just happened to boot up the other day and it was doing it's thing.

You would probably see Studio One pulling the system down a lot more if you had a heavy project loaded up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

You would probably see Studio One pulling the system down a lot more if you had a heavy project loaded up.

I don't have an audio interface hooked up right now so I couldn't play it but yes I'm sure it would be pulling more while running. Out of force of habit from dealing with all the crashing in Sonar back in the day, to this day, I still have the habit of freezing and bouncing everything. I get how people want a powerful enough system to run tons and tons of stuff real time, but it's not technically necessary except in a few rare cases. Systems runs so much better if they are dealing with playing back waves tracks and processing as little as possible real time.

Right now I'm using the audio out through the HDMI cable and that's how I have sound for gaming. The speakers on this crappy little TV actually sound pretty good, especially compared to the speakers on that monitor I returned. It sounded like I had a cell phone on speakerphone. Absolutely horrible. But, S1 either doesn't support audio through HDMI or I don't have it set up right because I tried to use it and S1 couldn't see it.

I'm doing everything they all told us not to do here years ago.

Remember the guy who insisted he was never going to hook up to wifi with his DAW. I'm doing that and everything is fine.

I often have browsers and the weather posting on my desk top. Something like that isn't really bothering things much.

I'm sure if I pushed the envelope something would give. Maybe this is telling of my work. I don't need much because I ain't doing much.If I need more I'll make it work. That's my philosophy and I hope it doesn't get deleted.😁

Project on the desktop and I want to order from Amazon? No problem. These things can work.

I often leave a project opened on my desk top after I just exported a track and I open up Ozone 9 or TRacks for mastering. I don't close the project until I'm happy with everything. My computer can handle that no problem.

It is probably time to clean out some of the programs I never use, or keep them on my laptop just in case I want one of them, but at this time I'm not feeling very motivated. I might not feel motivated tomorrow either.

5 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

But, S1 either doesn't support audio through HDMI or I don't have it set up right because I tried to use it and S1 couldn't see it.

They only need to support WASAPI. Make sure an application isn't reserving the device (probably not, if game audio works) and choose WASAPI as the driver in the DAW, and the device should be available. If it isn't, check the supported audio specs from control panel (run: mmsys.cpl -> Playback -> Properties (of the HDMI output of your GPU) -> Advanced -> Default Format, check the supported combinations from the dropdown menu), choose one and make sure all the input/output device and project specs in the DAW match it. Use exclusive mode for better performance at the cost of the DAW taking over the playback device (tick the boxes in the Advanced tab of the playback device properties in Sound control panel), or shared mode for going through the Windows mixer.