Help me resolve this frozen GUI bug in Cakewalk [Updated with direct video]

chris.r

Remember the Ujam GUI bug where the plugin GUI gets unresponsive after changing tempo in Cakewalk and you have to close the project to get rid of it? Some users reported to have the same problem. There are a few more plugins exposing this and it still seems unsolved. Recently I acquired LiftFX and this one is suffering from the same issue but exposing a new symptom that hopefully might help further nailing down the bug. So I recorded a short video showing it. I don't know if it's a plugin, Cakewalk or Windows bug and I'm not very familiar with tweaking Windows gfx settings so there's hope someone who's watching this might get the idea what is going on here and what to do to get rid of the problem.

What you see on the video is me first clicking on presets, the presets menu opens and closes after clicking on a preset. Next I go to change the tempo, take a note that only after I click and drag the spin wheel or whatever it used to be called, on the right to the tempo value where my mouse changes into that up/down double arrow, this is what triggers the GUI bug. Now if I try to change preset in the plugin again, most of the GUI becomes unresponsive, knobs and values are frozen (won't update anymore) no matter what I try and I'm not able to change most of the things on the surface until I close and reopen project. The same happens in Ujam and some other plugins. Now the new thing that occurred in this particular plugin is that after I close it's GUI, there's that weird, persistent 'phantom' menu left, even after minimizing Cakewalk to desktop, that's frozen too and I can't seem to do anything with it no matter whether I click on it or press Esc. Closing project only can get rid of it. Anyone having an idea what is going wrong here?

B6LYFzV.gif

Edited by chris.r

A couple months ago Cakewalk introduced some enhancements to the menus. In order to check if that could be the reason for the GUI issue I opened LiftFX and uJam plugins in Sonar Platinum, even went as far as to the X1 series just to find out that the freezing plugin GUI was there already, always after messing in the tempo box. Dead end. Oddly enough there is not a single issue like that in any of the other DAWs I have (Cubase, Ableton, Reason, Reaper, Mixbus). Clearly that's something Cakewalk is handling differently to the rest of the world.

Edited by chris.r