WAVES FREE PLUGIN COSMOS

satya

Can anyone help me with 3 questions I have..? 

1. Cosmos launches but gets stuck creating the database. Does anyone has the same error??

2. and CR8 disappears in the lists of VSTi after Cakewalk is launched a second time? why is that? 

3. How does Waves provide updates to their software to us users? (e. g. the Native Instrument clients highlights updates to installed software, I don't see anything like this in the Waves Client..? 

Thank you, Peter 

27 minutes ago, Peter Hintze said:

Can anyone help me with 3 questions I have..? 

1. Cosmos launches but gets stuck creating the database. Does anyone has the same error??

2. and CR8 disappears in the lists of VSTi after Cakewalk is launched a second time? why is that? 

3. How does Waves provide updates to their software to us users? (e. g. the Native Instrument clients highlights updates to installed software, I don't see anything like this in the Waves Client..? 

Thank you, Peter

1. Not here.

2. Cakewalk only shows the VST2 version here. Refuses to show the VST3, although it is installed in the correct folder. VST3 shows up fine in Reaper and elsewhere. Tried reset and rescan in Cakewalk preferences. No improvement. Weird!

3. Install Waves Central. All update notifications and update downloads are issued there, as well as installation and activation.

Edited by abacab

9 hours ago, abacab said:

1. Not here.

2. Cakewalk only shows the VST2 version here. Refuses to show the VST3, although it is installed in the correct folder. VST3 shows up fine in Reaper and elsewhere. Tried reset and rescan in Cakewalk preferences. No improvement. Weird!

3. Install Waves Central. All update notifications and update downloads are issued there, as well as installation and activation.

so 2. is it cakewalks fault or a bug in CR8? 

3. i have waves central, but I have never seen an update notification like in the Native Instruments or Arturia Client. Does Waves perform the updates in the background without notification ? 

Interesting. I just bought CR8 yesterday and installed it using Waves Central and had no issues.  I'm using the latest version of Cakewalk and CR8 installed perfectly fine as a VST3. I'm running a fairly new, pretty powerful Win 10 machine (with all of the latest updates installed),  built specifically for running my DAW, KONTAKT,  big sample libraries and various plugins.

While I'm not a fan of the Waves' Update Plan or how Waves' goes about marketing their products -- with respect to pre-informing prospective customers about WUP -- for ten bucks, IMO, CR8 is a worthwhile tool.

Edited by PavlovsCat

On 2/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, Carl Ewing said:

It has now taken 2 days of scanning to complete that 400GB. XO did my entire drive in about 2 hours.  ;(

17 hours ago, Peter Hintze said:

Cosmos launches but gets stuck creating the database. Does anyone has the same error??

1 hour ago, Lemar Sain said:

Having this issue as well!

I am glad that I cut my losses, killed Cosmos, and uninstalled it (2/16/2022).  The first warning sign I had was that over a span of twenty minutes the installation process added several (5) older Microsoft Visual C++ files (200-2013) that no other program previously needed.  The second warning sign was that the program seemed to be doing almost nothing for about forty minutes.

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

10 hours ago, Peter Hintze said:

so 2. is it cakewalks fault or a bug in CR8? 

3. i have waves central, but I have never seen an update notification like in the Native Instruments or Arturia Client. Does Waves perform the updates in the background without notification ? 

2. Undetermined here... I think there may be something strange with the way this CR8 plugin is identified in any given DAW that varies. Plus the fact that the actual plugin is masked by the complexity of the WavesShell plugin thingy. Not really a big concern, as I can use some version of it anywhere! But I don't quite grasp why it is disappearing on yours. 😧

For example I have 5 different DAWs installed, Ableton Live 11 Suite, Cakewalk by BandLab, Reaper, Studio One Pro  5, and Waveform 11 Pro.

I use the same plugin scan paths in each of these...

1. Ableton recognizes both CR8 VST and VST3 versions.
  2. CbB only recognizes the CR8 VST2.
  3. Reaper recognizes the CR8 VST2 as an FX, but the VST3 as an instrument.
  4. Studio One only shows theCR8 VST3 because that DAW is set to ignore VST2 if both are available (CbB can be set either way, and I tried both - no luck).
  5. Waveform shows both CR8 VST and VST3 versions.

3. Waves Central puts a notification that updates are available, but it's up to you to install them. It synchronizes with your Waves online account whenever you launch it, and checks for updates at that time.

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I am glad that I cut my losses, killed Cosmos, and uninstalled it (2/16/2022).  The first warning sign I had was that over a span of twenty minutes the installation process added several (5) older Microsoft Visual C++ files (200-2013) that no other program previously needed.  The second warning sign was that the program seemed to be doing almost nothing for about forty minutes.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I think it's one of the coolest freeware programs to come along in a while.

It only added the most recent MS Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable to mine. I already had all of the others installed. A standard practice if an application requires a later VC runtime library than what is already installed on the target system, so not a big concern for me.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/redistributing-visual-cpp-files?view=msvc-170

And it can be a hog when initially scanning. Cosmos took several hours to index and tag 40,000+ loops and samples here, with all 6 cores nearly full blast and fans revving up. I am running a fairly recent 9th gen Intel Core i5-9600K at 4.3GHz.

I listened in on a Waves "ask me anything" Discord with the product manager yesterday. Waves is using some state of the art "AI" training to analyze each music sample and tag it, it's not just reading the file name. It will not even run on older CPU's that lack "AVX" (Advanced Vector Extensions).