WAVES FREE PLUGIN COSMOS

satya

18 minutes ago, locrian said:

I've tried reading in both .ncw and .nkx files and neither worked.

What type worked for you?

I have to check when I go home. It read all the samples from expansion packs, including the weird demo files for each program. Forgot what those extensions are labeled

• Like 1

Guys, this is a total rookie type question, but I rarely use loops in my productions. I greatly use multisample libraries and mulyisample based VSTs (KONTAKT, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, MTron Pro, Battery...) that I can play with a midi controller keyboard or drum kit . I was wondering if CR-8 and Cosmos are mainly just useful for loops or and one shot samples for more EDM type music -- and especially,  I was trying to understand if CR-8 can be used for creating playable instruments like multi-sample libraries I use in KONTAKT? Thanks in advance.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Guys, this is a total rookie type question, but I rarely use loops in my productions. I greatly use multisample libraries and mulyisample based VSTs (KONTAKT, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, MTron Pro, Battery...) that I can play with a midi controller keyboard or drum kit . I was wondering if CR-8 and Cosmos are mainly just useful for loops or and one shot samples for more EDM type music -- and especially,  I was trying to understand if CR-8 can be used for creating playable instruments like multi-sample libraries I use in KONTAKT? Thanks in advance.  

Me too but I could probably do all of that in Live and of course Kontakt. 

CR8 is for creating inspired sounds from scratch in a track quickly, rather than dealing with a complex multi-sampled instrument. For that, you have Kontakt... :)

Or you could invest in Live or Bitwig.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, abacab said:

CR8 is for creating inspired sounds from scratch in a track quickly, rather than dealing with a complex multi-sampled instrument. For that, you have Kontakt... :)

Can the "inspired sounds" be played as chords -- like one does with say a synth patch in a multisampler or soft synth --or is more like something you'd play on a controller like MACHINE where you hit a pad and a single sample of say, a chord, plays? As I mainly have only used multisamples this plugin category is not one I'm very familiar with and am trying to figure out how it works and if it might be useful for me or not. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

4 hours ago, abacab said:

WELL IF THIS WORKS I M WAITING SHORTCIRCIT XT TO COME AS IT CAN PARTLY LOAD THOSE MASCHINE AND KONTAKT EXPANSIONS,

I ALSO SAW MULTISAMPLES OPTION IN THE PIGMENTS 3 SAMPLES, HAVENT TRIED IT THO

Edited by satyabrata satapathy

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Can the "inspired sounds" be played as chords -- like one does with say a synth patch in a multisampler or soft synth --or is more like something you'd play on a controller like MACHINE where you hit a pad and a single sample of say, a chord, plays? As I mainly have only used multisamples this plugin category is not one I'm very familiar with and am trying to figure out how it works and if it might be useful for me or not. 

Yes, most definitely the former. When you load a sample into CR8, it turns the sample into kind of a virtual instrument, changing the pitch of the sample as you play up and down the keyboard. And yes, it can be played as chords. The sample is also stretched so that as you play higher notes, so that the sample length stays the same, just the pitch is altered. You need to tell CR8 the root of your sample for it to play right in the mix. Other samplers I have used just speed up the samples to obtain higher notes which is not great if you have rhythm based samples. You can also load up to 8 samples and either layer them or split your keyboard to play them so they only play in a certain range of the keyboard.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Yes, most definitely the former. When you load a sample into CR8, it turns the sample into kind of a virtual instrument, changing the pitch of the sample as you play up and down the keyboard. And yes, it can be played as chords. The sample is also stretched so that as you play higher notes, so that the sample length stays the same, just the pitch is altered. You need to tell CR8 the root of your sample for it to play right in the mix. Other samplers I have used just speed up the samples to obtain higher notes which is not great if you have rhythm based samples. You can also load up to 8 samples and either layer them or split your keyboard to play them so they only play in a certain range of the keyboard.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, Doug. I really appreciate it.  It sounds like for $10 USD, I might as well bite, as I would think it could be inspiring with the right sounds, and for $10, why not? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

On 2/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, Carl Ewing said:

It seems to be okay with my library. It's completed about 400GB of 1TB  of samples, with 250,000 samples scanned so far. However, I have all my samples on the root drive, organized by genre across 30 folders. Cosmos won't allow adding the root drive letter, so I've added all 30 genre folders manually. And it's scanning each folder one by one (including subfolders), so perhaps that's why I'm having better luck. It has now taken 2 days of scanning to complete that 400GB. XO did my entire drive in about 2 hours.  ;(

It is definitely missing samples too. First folder that completed showed 500 less .wav files than are actually in that folder. Double checked with an explorer level .wav search, and it definitely skipped a whole bunch. If anyone discovers what it doesn't like (maybe 24-bit?) please post here. :)

@Carl Ewing @Anxiousmofo @Matthew SorrelsHey, I found out that Cosmos ignores all wave files longer that 59 seconds. I used a couple of test folders, and the Cosmos sample count was always exactly short by the number of samples that were 1 minute or longer.

That accounts for this discrepancy with my sample library folders. One mystery solved! :)

I wonder if this "feature" was by design. or accident? It might be inconvenient, especially if a lot of your samples are only slightly longer than a minute...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, abacab said:

@Carl Ewing @Anxiousmofo @Matthew SorrelsHey, I found out that Cosmos ignores all wave files longer that 59 seconds. I used a couple of test folders, and the Cosmos sample count was always exactly short by the number of samples that were 1 minute or longer.

That accounts for this discrepancy with my sample library folders. One mystery solved! :)

I wonder if this "feature" was by design. or accident? It might be inconvenient, especially if a lot of your samples are only slightly longer than a minute...

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Hopefully in the future they will allow users to determine min / max duration. Double checked my folders and it's mostly the longer "demo" or "preview" files that were excluded, which tend to be long stereo mixes showcasing the sample packs. And good to be reminded to delete those and save hard drive space! 

• Great Idea 1

Just now, Eku Shewale said:

I am not able to drag and drop samples from COSMOS sample manger into my cakewalk project. Does cakewalk not support it yet or am i missing something coz i am able to drag and drop samples in ableton,flstudio and all other daws except cakewalk.

pls reply fast

8 hours ago, abacab said:

Drag and drop from Cosmos to a Cakewalk audio track works.

8 hours ago, abacab said:

Drag and drop from Cosmos to a Cakewalk audio track works.

Thats wht im not able to do. when i drag it into a sampler or track, it just shows me a cross, is there any setting i gotta change in cakewalk? as i have having this prob only in cakewalk