WAVES FREE PLUGIN COSMOS

satya

6 hours ago, locrian said:

On Windows 10 you can find the samples log in  C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\Logs . 

It's a CSV-file; the name is comprised of a long number prefix and "_Samples and Loops.csv" .

I'm not sure if Cosmos is actually using this file or if it serves another purpose.  I guess I could delete it and see what happens...

I'm watching the scan update this .sqlite file in real time - increasing in size as the scan progresses:  

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\Waves Plugin Server\cosmos.sqlite

And you'll see this file...

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\Waves Plugin Server\cosmos.sqlite-journal 

...appear and disappear as it's writing the data. 

I think backing up the cosmos-sqlite file is probably important. Although I'm not sure if it's connected / syncing with a cloud file as well. 

And judging by how much is currently scanned and how big my sample drive is, I'm guessing the sqlite file will be a decent size after scanning a TB of samples / loops. Currently 50mb and not even 5% done. It scans sloooooow. XO was 100x faster than this.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Oooh that would be huge oversight... what about mp3?

The free samples it does come with are being downloaded onto hard disk? Anyone pinned down the path? Thx

Pro tip. You can right click on a sample in Cosmos and select "Show in Explorer". On my Windows machine, this opens 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\Instrument Data\Waves Sample Libraries\Waves Audio Factory Pack

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Pro tip. You can right click on a sample in Cosmos and select "Show in Explorer". On my Windows machine, this opens 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\Instrument Data\Waves Sample Libraries\Waves Audio Factory Pack

So far I was able to set path for samples on an external disk with other Waves plugins, hopefully there's an option in Cosmos too for that.

3 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Looks like you should be able to remove the Waves Audio Folder, move to a new location and add it back in again.

Yep. I moved mine to external and next time I opened Cosmos it gave me a "relocate factory samples" prompt on the left side...or something to that effect. Was very easy. 

One annoying thing so far - if you add a bunch of user folders manually, it won't put them in alphabetical order. It will order them based on the order you added them. Hopefully that's remedied. Also, I don't feel the AI is as good at detecting instrument types as XO. Same with grouping similar sounds. There's a lot of stuff grouped together, like kicks or snares, where the nearest neighbor to the sound you choose isn't remotely similar. Could be an 808 sub kick next to a rock kick. It seems to just randomly put all the kicks in one place, but doesn't do a great job of organizing them. Perhaps it's organizing them by envelope and not tone, at least when grouping by 'instrument'.  I'd be curious what the secondary grouping criteria is after 'instrument'.

However - what is excellent it the grouping by "space". This is extremely handy, as it can be good way to separate out, for example, tight percussive sounds from big reverbed out percussion and hits. And then those are further separated by color (dark vs. light). Very, very handy. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

So I installed this (and picked up the sampler).  I pointed it at my giant ACID music loop library directory.  Let it scan overnight.  This morning it showed something like 23,000 samples (so it must have found something).  But oddly enough my ACID Loop folder had a count of 0 samples and it wouldn't show anything?   A simple file search says it should have found about 400,000 wav files. 

I don't think Cosmos is up to handling a real sample library.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

So I installed this (and picked up the sampler).  I pointed it at my giant ACID music loop library directory.  Let it scan overnight.  This morning it showed something like 23,000 samples (so it must have found something).  But oddly enough my ACID Loop folder had a count of 0 samples and it wouldn't show anything?   A simple file search says it should have found about 400,000 wav files. 

Yes, it looks like Cosmos has a ways to go. I started by adding my giant sample folder but it seemed to choke on it. So I have been adding subsets of my collection a folder at a time. I am up to 232932 samples now but it is still scanning. This thing is very slow. As Carl has said, you cannot rearrange the added folders and the grouping algorythms seem a bit wonky. You would think it would do a better job considering how slow it is. Plus, I really, really want a tree view. So my search for the perfect sample manager continues. 

Cosmos has potential and it may turn into a super tool. Just hope Waves can do it in a year so we don't have to WUP it to get the new features and bug fixes🤪.

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Thank you - you probably just saved me $10.  I bought Sononym during BF and it's....OK.  It doesn't do well with large libraries either.

5 minutes ago, husker said:

Thank you - you probably just saved me $10.

Nope! Cosmos is free, LOL. Works with any DAW or sampler. Cosmos is not actually a plugin either. It's a standalone app.

The CR8 sampler is $10. Cosmos is integrated with that using a separate pop-up window. But Cosmos is functionally the same.

Edited by abacab

36 minutes ago, abacab said:

Nope! Cosmos is free, LOL. Works with any DAW or sampler. Cosmos is not actually a plugin either. It's a standalone app.

The CR8 sampler is $10. Cosmos is integrated with that using a separate pop-up window. But Cosmos is functionally the same.

Ah, had them mixed up.  Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Yes, it looks like Cosmos has a ways to go. I started by adding my giant sample folder but it seemed to choke on it. So I have been adding subsets of my collection a folder at a time. I am up to 232932 samples now but it is still scanning. This thing is very slow. As Carl has said, you cannot rearrange the added folders and the grouping algorythms seem a bit wonky. You would think it would do a better job considering how slow it is. Plus, I really, really want a tree view. So my search for the perfect sample manager continues. 

Cosmos has potential and it may turn into a super tool. Just hope Waves can do it in a year so we don't have to WUP it to get the new features and bug fixes🤪.

It seems to be okay with my library. It's completed about 400GB of 1TB  of samples, with 250,000 samples scanned so far. However, I have all my samples on the root drive, organized by genre across 30 folders. Cosmos won't allow adding the root drive letter, so I've added all 30 genre folders manually. And it's scanning each folder one by one (including subfolders), so perhaps that's why I'm having better luck. It has now taken 2 days of scanning to complete that 400GB. XO did my entire drive in about 2 hours.  ;(

It is definitely missing samples too. First folder that completed showed 500 less .wav files than are actually in that folder. Double checked with an explorer level .wav search, and it definitely skipped a whole bunch. If anyone discovers what it doesn't like (maybe 24-bit?) please post here. :)

Edited by Carl Ewing

5 minutes ago, Fleer said:

All of this makes me want XLN Audio XO even more.  Make it open to all samples. And $19.99. Yeah. 

Wait, do you mean XO is selling for $19.99 somewhere or that Waves could raise the price and expand the samples Cosmos can read?

Edited by PavlovsCat

51 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wait, do you mean XO is selling for $19.99 somewhere or that Waves could raise the price and expand the samples Cosmos can read?

I mean XO will be selling for $19.99 next month. Pretty pretty sure :)

• Like 1