WAVES FREE PLUGIN COSMOS

satya

10 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

It depends on what you mean by usable. I can drag and drop samples from Cosmos onto a track in my DAW without needing to use CR8. I can also drag a sample from Cosmos onto SampleOne, the Studio One sampler. If you are wanting to do more than that, for example to manipulate the samples, define loop points, change the speed, and a whole host of other things, then CR8 will allow you to do that. It is up to you to decide if CR8 is better than the sampler that comes with your DAW. 

Got it.  But Cosmos is only a standalone, correct? It’s not appearing on my list of plugins.

3 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I tried to use ADSR, but every time I add sample folder to a folder, the parent folder gets grayed out in ADSR and I have to remove the parent folder and add it back in again for ADSR to be able to access it again. I am guessing you have not seen this bug.

I'm not experiencing that.  I just tried it.  I have noticed that the pop-up saying that the content has changed seems to always come up when I run ADSR, even when it has not.  I do have each of my main folders (within my samples and loops parent folder) set as a "Library" in ADSR. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Ya - nothing more useful than a sample manager that you can't use inside your DAW where you use your samples. This thing is basically useless without the sampler. And having used it for a couple hours, it absolutely is not better than MediaBay. Except maybe the XO style sample explorer, which is something I thought I'd use XO a lot for, but haven't touched it much since I installed it. Mainly because it's only benefit is sample organizing, and why would I want to load a VST to look for samples when I have Mediabay - that is better integrated into Cubase, and my sample libraries are already organized at the folder level? Although I would like a "sounds alike" feature in MediaBay. 

Well, as @Doug Rintoulpointed out here, there is quite a bit of usability with Cosmos by itself. The sample drag & drop to a DAW track works the same with or without a sampler like CR8.

I tested Cosmos with a couple of integrated Studio One samplers like Sample One XT, and Impact XT, and you can drag the sample directly into the instrument UI, just like you can with CR8. So I'm not seeing any downside here to just using Cosmos with your DAW tracks, and/or any samplers you might have loaded inside the DAW. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

It does scan subfolders but it does not have a subfolder view. This is actually is one of the features that I am disappointed to not see. I am also seeing that it is very slow to scan. I initially added my whole sample folder but it looked like it would take days if not weeks to tag the whole thing. Right now, I am just adding subsets of my collection to test it out.

Odd; that isn't the case here.  It is under-reporting the number of samples in one identified master folder in excess of 100k missing files.  It says I have less than 2,500 and I have in excess of 100k samples there.

5 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Odd; that isn't the case here.  It is under-reporting the number of samples in one identified master folder in excess of 100k missing files.  It says I have less than 2,500 and I have in excess of 100k samples there.

I found that it doesn't work with windows symbolic links, maybe your folders use them to point to another drive?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

I wonder if it may have something to do with the folder structure, such as how many nested levels deep it will search?  Might be a bug. Or maybe they never tested with a collection your size! 😉

I added a master folder here with 7 sub-folders, and each of them have the sample files in 10-30 sub-folders. I now see samples listed from these lower level down sub-folders, and they were not added individually by me.

• Thanks 1

I'm a guy who made not buying Waves into a religion, but a sampler for ten bucks does seem like a good deal.  It has a few features that seem intriguing.

Somebody said the sampler is similar to one in Reason.  True?   Definitely they ripped off the graphic design of XO.  But without the rhythm patterns in XO.

I'm getting a message "COSMOS is connecting to sample database.  This may take a few seconds."  It's been 10 minutes, and still spinning.  I was wondering where the database of sample info was stored, it looks like its in the cloud. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shawker said:

I'm getting a message "COSMOS is connecting to sample database.  This may take a few seconds."  It's been 10 minutes, and still spinning.  I was wondering where the database of sample info was stored, it looks like its in the cloud. 

On Windows 10 you can find the samples log in  C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\Logs . 

It's a CSV-file; the name is comprised of a long number prefix and "_Samples and Loops.csv" .

I'm not sure if Cosmos is actually using this file or if it serves another purpose.  I guess I could delete it and see what happens...

28 minutes ago, locrian said:

On Windows 10 you can find the samples log in  C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\Logs . 

It's a CSV-file; the name is comprised of a long number prefix and "_Samples and Loops.csv" .

I'm not sure if Cosmos is actually using this file or if it serves another purpose.  I guess I could delete it and see what happens...

Thanks, I looked in Roaming and didn't see anything there. 

COSMOS finally connected to whatever the sample database is after another 5 minutes.  I don't see how it could take 15 minutes to connect to csv files on my c drive.  I do have 98,000 file in COSMOS, so maybe it isn't optimized for large collections.  I think I'll stick with XO and ADSR sample manager for now.

6 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I tried to use ADSR, but every time I add sample folder to a folder, the parent folder gets grayed out in ADSR and I have to remove the parent folder and add it back in again for ADSR to be able to access it again. I am guessing you have not seen this bug.

I have same issue. Super annoying

• Like 1

All of these people trying to cancel WUP. I for one, oppose the WUP cancel culture!!! 

Seriously though, with the downsides of WUP, I have three PCs I use for music and Waves' one computer max unless you buy WUP does make their software more expensive than competitors in the long run -- add the fact that if after a couple years of using a plugin you have a problem with the software and need support you need to buy WUP in order to get that help, it does make buying a Waves plugin a lot more of a difficult decision and I'm not sure about this one. 

I also want to say that I hope no one actually makes buying decisions based on influencers -- someone using affiliate links is merely a salesperson for the product, so NEVER look at affiliate marketers for unbiased opinions, that's the value that your fellow non-compensated (non-influencers in the marketing sense of the term) musicians in these forums offer for free. There are so many compensated parties shilling Waves plugins it's ridiculous. As a marketing professional with ethics, I've ran a major global affiliate program for a globally recognized brand, but there's a real level of deception to influencers and affiliate marketing that really bothers me. The convoluted rationalizations of influencers are pure BS -- the twisted rationalizations really --these are people shilling products for profit no matter how they try to spin it. They are salespeople, not legit reviewers. If you make money off of people buying the product you're doing a fake review of, you're not really a legitimate reviewer anymore than you would call your local car salesperson a car reviewer. Nope, that salesperson is incredibly biased, regardless of the spin they attempt to put on it. When I search YouTube for info on this product, it's just a sea of shills doing fake reviews and it's so incredibly insincere for these people to not state up front that they are salespeople and not legit reviewers. The glowing praise for the products they're shilling is a device to move you to purchase those products through their affiliate links so that they can get a sales commission. That's the end game. I realize that it's a side hustle, again, I've lead a major brand affiliate program that pays big -- and it's sometimes a main hustle for a small group of influencers -- I just wish these folks weren't so deceptive.

I am waiting for more regular -- non-compensated folks -- to give their sincere opinion on this one before even dropping $9.99 USD. I suppose I might try a demo of CR-8 and the Cosmos, but it seems like a bit of a time investment to really get a feel for it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I'm a guy who made not buying Waves into a religion, but a sampler for ten bucks does seem like a good deal.  It has a few features that seem intriguing.

Somebody said the sampler is similar to one in Reason.  True?   Definitely they ripped off the graphic design of XO.  But without the rhythm patterns in XO.

Dang, Reid, now you’re talking me into getting CR8. 
This is going to hurt next year. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I wonder if it may have something to do with the folder structure, such as how many nested levels deep it will search?  Might be a bug. Or maybe they never tested with a collection your size! 😉

I added a master folder here with 7 sub-folders, and each of them have the sample files in 10-30 sub-folders. I now see samples listed from these lower level down sub-folders, and they were not added individually by me.

Good to hear it works for you and some others. I hope I can get it sorted. Tried running it as admin to no avail. Thought maybe it was a security/access issue. 

Didn't experience this with Loopcloud, ADSR or VIP.  I really like the clustering feature in Cosmos, so will keep my fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, shawker said:

I found that it doesn't work with windows symbolic links, maybe your folders use them to point to another drive?

Good thought and I've experienced that with other software, but I had directed it to the handful of at-issue master/parent folders in Cosmos in this case. 

I deleted the MPC 2 software due to a symbolic link issue, so definitely know that one. 

22 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Good to hear it works for you and some others.

I spoke too soon! 🤪

After adding a large 22GB folder, with some 9 sub-folders containing a total of 300+ sample files, Cosmos only picked up 95 samples there. They are environmental, found sound types of recordings, so maybe there is a limit of some type?

But it located thousands of samples in other folders. I currently show 23,276 samples listed in Cosmos local folders. Not too bad for someone that never realized he had this many samples hidden away in various drive locations, LOL!

Regardless, it probably wouldn't hurt to ping Waves support at some point.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Dang, Reid, now you’re talking me into getting CR8. 

Just do it! I've been playing around with it, and it's got quite a few useful features, as well as 810 factory presets! There is an advanced panel that drops out at the bottom with 4 modulators and 4 ADSR envelopes.

It's a nice one! Only $10 now! :)

• Thanks 1