WAVES FREE PLUGIN COSMOS

satya

18 hours ago, locrian said:

A *very* useful plugin!  Much better than the one built into Cubase.

Ya - nothing more useful than a sample manager that you can't use inside your DAW where you use your samples. This thing is basically useless without the sampler. And having used it for a couple hours, it absolutely is not better than MediaBay. Except maybe the XO style sample explorer, which is something I thought I'd use XO a lot for, but haven't touched it much since I installed it. Mainly because it's only benefit is sample organizing, and why would I want to load a VST to look for samples when I have Mediabay - that is better integrated into Cubase, and my sample libraries are already organized at the folder level? Although I would like a "sounds alike" feature in MediaBay. 

Edited by Carl Ewing

3 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Ya - nothing more useful than a sample manager that you can't use inside your DAW where you use your samples. This thing is basically useless without the sampler. And having used it for a couple hours, it absolutely is not better than MediaBay. Except maybe the XO style sample explorer, which is something I thought I'd use XO a lot for, but haven't touched it much since I installed it. Mainly because it's only benefit is sample organizing, and why would I want to load a VST to look for samples when I have Mediabay - that is better integrated into Cubase, and my sample libraries are already organized at the folder level? Although I would like a "sounds alike" feature in MediaBay. 

What I find useful about Cosmos is the way it organizes my samples.  When I use MediaBay I have to rely on my (modest) memory to know which sample library folder to look in, and this involves several iterations before I find the sample I want.  Cosmos obviates that search process by allowing me to do a 'meta' search across all libraries at once.  YMMV.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, locrian said:

What I find useful about Cosmos is the way it organizes my samples.  When I use MediaBay I have to rely on my (modest) memory to know which sample library folder to look in, and this involves several iterations before I find the sample I want.  Cosmos obviates that search process by allowing me to do a 'meta' search across all libraries at once.  YMMV.

I think using the Waves sampler combined with Cosmos would obviously make this work much better. But with Cosmos on its own it's taking the best parts of XO but making it an external app that isn't connected to Cubase at all...which trying it yesterday just became a pita. Going to pick up this $10 sampler and see if it streamlines the process. 

Having said all that - I think Native Instruments could monopolize this XO / Cosmos market by adding similar sample management to Battery or Maschine. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Is it just me or does this thing not detect the content of subfolders?  If so, what a huge oversight and useless tool! It's like they have no idea how samples are commonly delivered and organized.

It does scan subfolders but it does not have a subfolder view. This is actually is one of the features that I am disappointed to not see. I am also seeing that it is very slow to scan. I initially added my whole sample folder but it looked like it would take days if not weeks to tag the whole thing. Right now, I am just adding subsets of my collection to test it out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

It does scan subfolders but it does not have a subfolder view. This is actually is one of the features that I am disappointed to not see. I am also seeing that it is very slow to scan. I initially added my whole sample folder but it looked like it would take days if not weeks to tag the whole thing. Right now, I am just adding subsets of my collection to test it out.

Agreed.  I really miss the folder view, because a lot of my stuff is already categorized that way.  It took about 8 hours to scan my 82K / 160G of files on an SSD.  So far it does seem to do a pretty good job of identifying the samples.  Interesting that it appears to ignore categories/tempo/key/etc that are in the file names, relying only on analysis.  I will still probably use ADSR more, but this has promise.

32 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Agreed.  I really miss the folder view, because a lot of my stuff is already categorized that way.  It took about 8 hours to scan my 82K / 160G of files on an SSD.  So far it does seem to do a pretty good job of identifying the samples.  Interesting that it appears to ignore categories/tempo/key/etc that are in the file names, relying only on analysis.  I will still probably use ADSR more, but this has promise.

I tried to use ADSR, but every time I add sample folder to a folder, the parent folder gets grayed out in ADSR and I have to remove the parent folder and add it back in again for ADSR to be able to access it again. I am guessing you have not seen this bug.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

I find it kind of useful actually, given the current semi-chaotic status of my samples. Does buying the $10 sampler make Cosmos useable within my DAW?

It depends on what you mean by usable. I can drag and drop samples from Cosmos onto a track in my DAW without needing to use CR8. I can also drag a sample from Cosmos onto SampleOne, the Studio One sampler. If you are wanting to do more than that, for example to manipulate the samples, define loop points, change the speed, and a whole host of other things, then CR8 will allow you to do that. It is up to you to decide if CR8 is better than the sampler that comes with your DAW. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1