Waves CR8 Sampler

cclarry

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

My account says it’s valid until Feb 15, 2023 :(

Right...because the FREE WUP has to renew every year...just as it would if
you had paid for it.  Now...if they happen to attach a price to it in a few weeks,
then what I'm saying if void, and there will be WUP on it...

• Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, cclarry said:

FREE WUP has to renew every year

In practical terms, Yes.

However, people may inadvertently end up paying for it if they're not paying attention

Example:

1) Add the free Soundgrid Studio to your account https://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/soundgrid-studio-emotion-st-8-ch

2) Let the 1-year wup expire

3) Get a quote for Wup'ping the Soundgrid Studio, and it's not free, it's $12

(or, if you are wup'ping other products and you forget to uncheck Soundgrid Studio, you will pay for something that you shouldn't need to)

4) Instead of Wup'ping it, "buy" another free copy instead, and you will get in your account both a license for the latest version, with 1-year free wup, and the old out-of-wup version. Activate your new copy and deactivate your old one and the end result is, in practical terms, the same as if you had Wup'ped the old one

That's a quirk of the system but otherwise, I do think that getting a free year of wup and then longer wup as a choice, that's not particularly bad.

PA, IK, etc charge for transfer fees. Steinberg, Presonus, iZotope, Native Instruments, Magix, etc. they all release yearly non-free upgrades. Wup is simply a (more confusing) variation on those models.

• Great Idea 2

On 2/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, dubdisciple said:

WUP is annoying but subscription model comparison is not quite right.  Waves plugins work fine for years without paying WUP. I used RBass for 5 years without paying. Most subscription models stop working when you stop paying.  

I disagree. I never stated that Waves Update Plan is exactly the same as a subscription model, I wrote that, it is similar to a subscription plan, but the marketing is much less honest. Most plugin developers provide updates to plugins and support beyond one year at no additional cost,  at worst, they do that until there is a major update. Your argument uses the fallacy of composition as a basis -- basically,  you're protecting out your single data point to the world; basically,  I got mine, I'm good. Consider that if you purchased a Waves plugin 366 days ago and it stopped working,  you are on your own. You no longer have tech support,  you no longer have updates, unless you pay for Waves Update Plan (WUP). Also consider if you want to install a Waves plugin on two machines. In order to do that you need to pay WUP -- and this is exactly a subscription model without using the name. In order to use your license on a second computer you must pay WUP each year of use. That is,  let's say you buy CR8 and you purchase a WUP so that you can use it on two computers . One year from now you are required to pay for another year of WUP or the second installation will no longer work. 

To use your own words, "Most subscription models stop working when you stop paying." That is precisely what happens with the second license to install  their plugin on a second computer when they purchase WUP.  So if your plugins are still working, that's great for you right now. But if something happens where they stop working,  you need to pay up and many Waves customers on Apple computers are familiar with that situation. 

Edited by PavlovsCat