Get Away - Updated mix, new ending

Kevin Walsh

Here's one I'm working on, your feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Wow, I'm amazed at all the new songs pouring in to the forum! I'm way behind on my listening. 

Update 1:

I added another snare track with different drum and a bit of reverb and blended it in with the original.

I re-worked the bass a bit.

Tamed the solo in the center a bit, not too much I hope.

I also re-did the ending with a bit of a different arrangement.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 4

Hi Kevin

I like this - I think this will be excellent as you progress - personally, if you don't mind me saying, I would shorten this and end at  3.45 dropping the last guitar solos and fade out - I think it would sound much sharper!

Anyway, best of luck on this, think there is a really good track in this

Cool Stuff

Nigel

Love the guitars, great bends! Vocals and bgv's are getting there quick, you might bring up the lead vocal volume. The lyrics are working for me big time! I agree with Wookie on the toms, a bit pokey loud in the mix when the fills come along.

I'd also somehow get the bass guitar tone more focused, you might eq it more narrowly and pump the volume of the bass guitar a bit so it drives the song a little harder?

those guitars, back to those - awesome! 

As you dive a bit more into the mix, try your ears on the snare hit, very much the same exact sample each time. You might room up the kit a bit with a a killer drum compressor of some type.

It wasn't too long for me and I'll definitely check in to see where you take this! 

cheers,

-Tom

2 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Kevin

I like this - I think this will be excellent as you progress - personally, if you don't mind me saying, I would shorten this and end at  3.45 dropping the last guitar solos and fade out - I think it would sound much sharper!

Cool Stuff

Nigel

I'll give your idea a try, Nigel. I was considering that as well, thanks, I appreciate your advice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Love the guitars, great bends! Vocals and bgv's are getting there quick, you might bring up the lead vocal volume. The lyrics are working for me big time! I agree with Wookie on the toms, a bit pokey loud in the mix when the fills come along.

I'd also somehow get the bass guitar tone more focused, you might eq it more narrowly and pump the volume of the bass guitar a bit so it drives the song a little harder?

those guitars, back to those - awesome! 

As you dive a bit more into the mix, try your ears on the snare hit, very much the same exact sample each time. You might room up the kit a bit with a a killer drum compressor of some type.

It wasn't too long for me and I'll definitely check in to see where you take this! 

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for your feedback, Tom. I always struggle with bass eq and tone and getting the levels right. 

Good feedback on the snare, but I'm unsure of how I vary the samples.  I know I can run a humanize function on the MIDI note velocities, but that's not quite what  you're talking about, is it?

As for guitar, gotta love S-Gear, right? By the way, some of the clean tones are from the XLR out of a Fender Mustang GTX 100 I picked up a while ago. I'm pretty amazed at how good this thing sounds DI. 

Love that guitar tone Kevin.  Started like T-Rex, but morphed quickly and interestingly.  The vocal is a little reminiscent of Randy Newman in a way, but better.  Great mix.  I hear something I would do to the drums, but not real sure what it is.  The snare needs something to my ears, maybe a touch of verb.  And I think the toms need to come down a little.  At least that's what I hear - but it doesn't really matter it sounds great as is.  Good work.

What a great track you've done here ! Some amazing guitar work, a treat to the ears. If I can possibly help, in the mix zone, the one thing that stood out to me, I think the first solo guitar kind of blasted through a bit harsh (somewhere in the middle of the piece) . . . but that's a close headphone listen, sorry, the baby's sleepin' and I can't crank the speakers right now. Some great work creating this, and I really enjoyed this listen.

17 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Love that guitar tone Kevin.  Started like T-Rex, but morphed quickly and interestingly.  The vocal is a little reminiscent of Randy Newman in a way, but better.  Great mix.  I hear something I would do to the drums, but not real sure what it is.  The snare needs something to my ears, maybe a touch of verb.  And I think the toms need to come down a little.  At least that's what I hear - but it doesn't really matter it sounds great as is.  Good work.

The new arrangement I just posted adds a bit of oomph to the snare. I did dial back the toms with a low pass filter. Let me know how it sounds.

11 hours ago, noynekker said:

What a great track you've done here ! Some amazing guitar work, a treat to the ears. If I can possibly help, in the mix zone, the one thing that stood out to me, I think the first solo guitar kind of blasted through a bit harsh (somewhere in the middle of the piece) . . . but that's a close headphone listen, sorry, the baby's sleepin' and I can't crank the speakers right now. Some great work creating this, and I really enjoyed this listen.

Thanks for the feedback! I dialed it back a bit in the new mix, give it a peek!

On 2/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Kevin

Cool Stuff

Nigel

I re-arranged the ending, give it a listen. Thanks!