Audio device? Spoiled by echo

Pathfinder

So I have used the echo Layla 3G for over 10 years-easily. Since the echo has a PCI card, CW, any version I had, which was all of them, never lost the Audio device in a project.

Fast forward to present, I have Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen (overkill for me but better than underkill?) what?

Anyway I have found that I must turn on the 18i20 before I launch CWbyBL. Is there a way around this? Projects that I open lose all evidence of the Focusrite.

I really cannot believe their isn't a way around this. I mean sometimes I just launch CW out of habit because I never had this problem before. Actually before the echo I used Maudio 2496 2 cards connected to each other. Same thing, never lost the Audio device.

I really do not want to leave the 18i20 on 24\7...................well I won't.

so hopefully this inquiry will make more sense than some of my others. Pretty straightforward me thinks.  I also am expecting, NO their is no way around this.

Thanks

3 hours ago, bdickens said:

How is Cakewalk supposed to see your audio device if it isn't turned on?

Oh great, thanks for that. I KNOW THAT. Hence my POST. Lets see, oh, maybe it remembers, thru software, the last device used and keeps it as the output. So if I NEED to change it I can. why is that so hard to grasp? Not saying it's easy or even doable, sure does NOT sound impossible. How many different AI's do you use? I have 2, but I mainly use 1. 

Edited by Pathfinder

I’m not to sure you understand that, as said, If you open Cakewalk with your on board audio active then Cakewalk will be forced to not only figure out what to assign input and output to, it also has to switch to WASAPI mode. This is just like kicking a sleeping dog in the software world. 
How on earth would you expect it to do nothing and Waite for you to turn on your interface?

It’s called hardware and it needs care and feeding just like a dog. 

Choices:

1: leave your interface on. It uses very little power. 
2. Use an interface that runs on bus power. It will behave like your good ol’ PCI card 

3. put studio on a power bar that turns everything on an off ( recommendation by me) 

4. Try to remember to turn it on before you open Cakewalk ( set up for failure ) 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

John

I would NOT expect it to wait, etc.  Just hoping/wondering/dreaming, maybe keep it in the device pool, inactive? I don't know-Just seems "possible". Not by me of course. OK I give up.................................Just a wild wish I guess.

I will look into #3 of your suggestions. Thank You for that.

Actually that won't work for me, my computer is on from wake up (me) until I go to sleep. I only have one PC\DAW.  I am not always recording\editing when PC is on. I do other things with my PC, mainly music but not always CW involved. Oh well. 

I'll look into leaving the 18i20 ON same as PC.

Edited by Pathfinder

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Just a dumb thought. Who says that DAW software MUST search immediately for an audio interface? I mean is that actually the only possibility? I find that hard to believe. Of course, I understand that's the "way it is". That's why I got a bit upset. 

A change after decades can be challenging.

For years, I used interfaces that required manual startup. Even when one of the interfaces offered power via firewire, I still used a wall wart. 

I always put the audio interface power supply on the same circuit with my powered monitors and use the interface for all Windows audio.

Now, I have a USB powered interface (RME Babyface Pro) that is always on.

If powering up the interface before starting the DAW is a problem, launch the DAW using a batch file that issues a message and pauses for power up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Why not just make it easier on yourself and turn everything on before launching CW?

I am going to try. Hey I understand and apoligize for getting a bit, not nice. Many years (probably 6 or 8 years) with the dual Maudio2496's (always on) and then , jeezz, at least 10 more years with the echo Layla 3G (always on) 16 or 18 years of that it just isn't that easy to change. I will do something, have no choice.

Thanks BD

1 hour ago, scook said:

A change after decades can be challenging.

For years, I used interfaces that required manual startup. Even when one of the interfaces offered power via firewire, I still used a wall wart. 

I always put the audio interface power supply on the same circuit with my powered monitors and use the interface for all Windows audio.

Now, I have a USB powered interface (RME Babyface Pro) that is always on.

If powering up the interface before starting the DAW is a problem, launch the DAW using a batch file that issues a message and pauses for power up.

Now the batch file idea sounds interesting. I turn my monitors on last to avoid any pops, so CW is already on. But of course does not have to be I guess. I use 1500 APC's, I have 4 of them, so no power bars to turn on. The only thing that is ALWAYS on is the Computer. I am a guitar player\lead Singer  first, a Computer nerd 3nd and even though I have used CW since Version 5 I am no master engineer. Still have my CWPA 9 CD-It's on my wall actually 🙂 

So at least I have choices just need to figure the best discipline for myself. As stated above Scook. 18 years of not worrying about this. Maybe I should get the RME Baby Face Pro myself 🙂 . Only had the 18i20 for about 2 1/2 months now. O do still have my Roland Octacapture in the box. I think I did leave that on all the time.

BTW. the 18i20 3rd gen does NOT like to be powered off while the Focusrite control panel is open. So thats another thing to remember. 

Once again, sorry for the argumentative replies..................................If it takes me changing interfaces, so be it.

One more thing-I was extremely happy with the Echo Layla 3G but  rebuilt my PC, as I do often. This time , no PCI slots. That is the only reason I switched. Using all nvme m.2's (3 of them) and no where for a n old style PCI card.

The whole powering the studio topic has me thinking I need to redo mine because it’s still set up for when I used the Scarlett which has a power supply and not buss powered. 

I have a Furman line conditioner first in line. That shuts whole studio down.  I only shut this down by totally unplugging it during thunderstorms and if I’m going away. This habit has saved my studio more than once. 

From there are 5 power bars spread along the back of the desk and one to the floor for my guitar and bass amps and a sub. 

My Interfaces ( before) , the monitor power amp and Computer are on the only one I turn off at night.

The one on the floor I can’t reach so the sub is in standby mode. It automatically turns on when it detects a signal. The amps have easy to reach switch’s. But I often forget to turn my Blackstar off which would not be good if it were tubes but it’s not. 
There’s one power bar for my hardware synths and effects that’s mostly turned off. 
The Scarlett never needed to be powered off separate from the monitor amp. I would just shut the computer down and then kill the power bar.But because  the Motu is bus powered it makes a noticeable pop, sometimes a couple of times , in the monitors when the computer is booting up and shutting down. Even with the main volume off on the Motu. I have to remember to turn the monitor amp off first. 
I think I got rid of the second pops when I switched to 48 for everything. It would pop when you opened any music related software or even-the browser.  I still open old 44.1 projects and get that dang pop every time. 

• Like 1

I have machines I leave on 24/7, but leave my audio interfaces off when not in use.  As a general rule, I pretty much always switch my DAW PC off.

You can still leave your machine on 24/7, as long as you remember to switch your 18i20 on just before you open CbB - I mean, you don't need CbB running all the time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I have machines I leave on 24/7, but leave my audio interfaces off when not in use.  As a general rule, I pretty much always switch my DAW PC off.

You can still leave your machine on 24/7, as long as you remember to switch your 18i20 on just before you open CbB - I mean, you don't need CbB running all the time.

Good advice,

I switch my DAW PC off  every time when not using it, but my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is  switched on all the time.

I have used it for more as 10 years as my main audio interface, but since firewire is not

supported by Windows I use it as a converter, headphone amp and preamp via ADAT with an RME Raydat.

The Saffire pro still works good.

I think that it's not a problem to leave an Focusrite audio interface swtched on.

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1

I don't know if you'll find this useful or not, but I have a pair of powered monitors that have the power switch at the back and reaching round each monitor to turn them on/off was a pain in the neck.  I put them on a smart plug, so when I walk into my studio, I now just say "Hey Google, turn on studio monitors" and they are powered up before my butt hits the chair.  Don't know if you are a fan of Google home (or Alexa) devices, but I find it very easy.  When walking out of the studio, I just tell Google to turn them off again.  And if, for any reason, I forgot to turn them off, I can do that from my phone, regardless of if I'm home or out.

I would imagine that there are ways to turn on/off a smart plug from a batch file on a PC, too.  So, going back to the batch file suggestion posted earlier, there may be an option to have the batch file power up the audio interface first, wait for a bit and then launch Cakewalk.

There will be a solution - just depends on how hard you want to look.

EDIT:

Sure enough, a quick Google search shows there is a way to do this from a batch file.  It even relates to the same TP-Link smart plugs I'm already using.  Link here: Control a tp-link Smart Plug from Windows Without Extra Programs

There ya go - solution in the waiting...

Edited by Bill Ruys
More info added
  • Thanks 1