A Seagate HDD bit the dust

kitekrazy

A 2tb with a 2yr warranty valid until Dec. went bad.  It was under $60.  I still can't afford a SSD that size.  I paid $12 for an exchange.  I'm not sure I can get any data off it. It doesn't bother me since my 2 other systems have similar data.

I woke up this morning with a strange sound that doesn't sound like your everyday drive failure.  There were no previous signs of it going bad (just like every drive these days)

SMART is useless.

At some point I'd like to cut down on disk size and replace them with 1TB drives.

1st Seagate I've had to RMA. 

I have a Seagate external USB drive that I use for full disc images (using Macrium Reflect).  But I have a second USB drive and alternate backups.  If one were to fail, I still have the backup from other drive. 

Current Seagate drives are as reliable as any other brand.  Anything has the possibility of failing, regardless of the brand.  If things never failed there would be no need for warranties or service techs.

Seagate did have a reliability problem  5+ years ago but that was fixed.  I think Western Digital owns Seagate.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:29 AM, Jack Stoner said:

I have a Seagate external USB drive that I use for full disc images (using Macrium Reflect).  But I have a second USB drive and alternate backups.  If one were to fail, I still have the backup from other drive. 

Current Seagate drives are as reliable as any other brand.  Anything has the possibility of failing, regardless of the brand.  If things never failed there would be no need for warranties or service techs.

Seagate did have a reliability problem  5+ years ago but that was fixed.  I think Western Digital owns Seagate.

I remember when a 500gb drive was the max and I had a Seagate the lasted over a decade.   I still have some WD Blue 320gb drives I use for archiving.  

I usually use at least 5 SATA ports on each machine.  I'm thinking of getting a 4tb HDD and going with 3 1TB SSD drives for libraries. 

Drive technology has kept changing over the years, and the prices have usually dropped on cost.

Article on Drive Comparisons - touches on some of the new drives that plug into the PCI slots - being the most expensive currently.

So the comment that it was expensive at 1TB makes me think that might be the type here?

I opted for size of disk when buying parts to rebuild my music computer - and went with HDD - which is slow - and with antivirus software slowing down the sound files made some of the loading really slow.  I have a 16TB disk for sound files - and it is half full since with the sound files from last june to now. 

If that drive dies - it will take a week to reload - I do have a 16tb USB drive for backups - and I will probably hook that up to protect some of the investment.

The libraries are not cheap - nor is the hardware - so it is a significant investment of time and money.  It does bring satisfaction of having the right tools to create with.