Anyone using more than one DAW?

SynthManDan

21 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

Cubase 10 Pro and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I use Cubase for midi work and Cakewalk for audio work and mastering my projects, and both DAWs see steady use. 

I do own other DAWs - Samplitude X3 Pro, Mixbus and Reaper, but rarely fire them up.

That's a good mix of DAW's (IMO) ... Cubase has a great many tricks up its sleeve when you find them and Sonar plat has great tools for audio ( Breverb for one ), and they're my fave two DAW's .

Pro Tools  is expensive, but that said, If you get used to it, it feels like (  me anyway ) Sonar Plat's 'big brother'. 

My son does have  Samplitude,  X3, Mix bus and Reaper in hand but I never thought I needed them when he was demonstrating  the progress of a  song , however to be fair. he's a bass player and skin man .... for what that's worth, I'm a songwriter and he feels he's setup  suits his stuff ...  but Pro Tools is his fave''go to ' .... mine however is Cubase and  Sonar plat ... As said

Edited by SPAK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SPAK said:

That's a good mix of DAW's (IMO) ... Cubase has a great many tricks up its sleeve when you find them and Sonar plat has great tools for audio ( Breverb for one ), and they're my fave two DAW's .

Pro Tools  is expensive, but that said, If you get used to it, it feels like (  me anyway ) Sonar Plat's 'big brother'. 

My son does have  Samplitude,  X3, Mix bus and Reaper in hand but I never thought I needed them when he was demonstrating  the progress of a  song , however to be fair. he's a bass player and skin man .... for what that's worth, I'm a songwriter and he feels he's setup  suits his stuff ...  but Pro Tools is his fave''go to ' .... mine however is Cubase and  Sonar plat ... As said

Yeah, I like all Cubase's tricks, and there always seems to be more to discover.

And I really like Cakewalk's ProChannel and its modules, and just the overall look and feel of its editing tools.  And the plug ins.  I know they are older than Moses, but the Sonitus plugs still get called up a lot in my projects -- especially the compressor.   

Honestly , I wont list all the DAW's I have currently or have used ..

I will say when I was buying them and going through the honeymoon phase ,  I thought I was having a good time  . 

Then I woke up one day and realized I was becoming a Jack Off All These DAW's and a Master of None ...

Now I keep it simple ..Cakewalk , Reaper , Mixbus .

Alright , all you extra DAW's , I want you all to line up over by the front gate                  single file .

Get Off My Lawn Now. You are clogging up my workflow .I ain't got the  time to read the manual .

gran-torino-wallpapers-29587-3493373.jpg

Kenny

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

I will say when I was buying them and going through the honeymoon phase ,  I thought I was having a good time  . 

Then I woke up one day and realized I was becoming a Jack Off All These DAW's and a Master of None ...

Alright , all you extra DAW's , I want you all to line up over by the front gate                  single file .

Get Off My Lawn Now. You are clogging up my workflow .I ain't got the  time to read the manual .

Kenny

Is that a MIDI Gun or are you just happy to see me😆

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Kenny

10 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Is that a MIDI Gun or are you just happy to see me😆

It is any type of gun you want it too be 😀 Are you Happy to see me ?

e7970fc13477a336c5734f9579243eb9.jpg

Clint  move over ..It is time for some Gun Toting Girl Power

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson

I only use multiple DAWs if I need to. Otherwise I use CbB.

Case in point. My goal was to record a movie  playing and have a nice audio track....seems simple enough right? None of my DAWS capture video, so I opted to use Vegas Movie Studio. It uses an inner program caller Capture to actually record the video from a webcam which you then move into the movie edit area to work with it. I wanted to import the basic video into a DAW and do some basic editing in it since I didn't intend to edit the video. I'm not a fan of the audio tools in Vegas, even though it will host vst's.

The video was an .avi file which didn't agree with CbB when I tried to import it. Next I tried Studio One Pro 4.1. It imported the video but doesn't show a slide by slide timeline of the video. It basically shows the video in a window and it's up to you to align audio to it. That process seemed a bit clunky to me. It did at least allow import and I was able to align the audio to it. Next I will probably try Mixcraft Pro 8 because it's the only DAW I have that seems to have basic video editing capability in it. I likely doesn't import avi ...so I've hopped across three programs to accomplish one simple process. Next time I'll know what to do. This is an example of what can happen if one tool doesn't offer what you need.

How you work determines the tools you'll need. If you record group vocals in harmony you might like the vocal alignment tools in Cubase. If you caught the sale awhile back on the basic version of VocAlign by Syncro Arts like I did you bought that, or if you had Sonar Platinum you have a tool in it that does the same thing basically by taking a master track and aligning a slave track to it....or you could simply do some basic audio editing if the problem isn't too bad. There's usually more than one way to do something. In my case I have two different ways to do what the function does in Cubase.  Melodyne is the most popular vocal pitch correction tool out there. Most DAWS come with a basic version. Why would I use Cubase's vocal tools? I have Melodyne and the Waves pitch correction plugin, plus the old one made by Roland.....so what I'm saying is, I would need to justify a good reason to buy that DAW or it will sit and gather dust. 

If you like CbB and there's something it doesn't have there are likely inexpensive 3rd party options to fill those gaps. One thing that really helped me out was buying a few of the 3rd party plugin packages. Now I have all of my bases covered. Everyone does that anyways, no matter which DAW you have.

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1

More DAWs than I literally know what to do with now, a legacy from when I was working and had them all for project compatibility and convenience.

CbB, Cubase and Studio One are the only ones I update.

CbB is the only one I was using regularly. Haven’t done any music for ages; been sick. 

Ever since I got Cakewalk, I find myself using my other DAW much less (MixCraft 8 Pro Studio).  It’s odd too because MC is actually a really good DAW, and it comes loaded with VST’s and plug-ins.   It’s also incredibly easy to use, yet I still keep going to Cakewalk now.

SMD

On 5/30/2019 at 6:16 AM, InstrEd said:

What have I started 😮

🤣

As far as the gun thing goes,  in my case it's not a big deal ...The Truth is ,  I used it for a few  reasons ....

Clint's frustration in the pic I posted is close to how I feel sometimes when it comes to dealing with multiple DAW's

Over a period of time I went out and got 14 of what are considered to be within the top 20 DAW's that people still talk about and end up on The Music Radars yearly lists for PC & Mac

Aside from trying to learn an extra 10 DAW's with out much success,  I have gotten bombarded with a ton of upgrade deals I don't seem to have the money for ...

I can tell you this , at first this was all sweet and innocent . But man let me tell you ...at the time  I was OK w it,  then after a while it became  like having  14 different girl scout troops  knocking on my door every day  trying to sell me cookies.

That's how it started , then all the companies started getting real aggressive by switching tactics on me .

They stopped using the oh look how cute  girl scout tactic  , then they tried to strong arm me into spending my  money ....

Anyway , I blame CCLarry for that Last Part .....  I think he may be a double agent 🤣 just kidding Larry

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Haha 1

I kind of feel this way when I *think* I've just installed all the updates available for Windows, various DAW's, plugins & tools... I save a backup image of my disks, then 4 hours later, another update!!!

I swear I spend more time dealing with updates than I do writing music nowadays.

I think I'm gonna have to nominate ONE day per month do to updates on, and if I miss out on one... it'll have to wait.

Hmm... but will I keep to it???