Improv Piece, Part I (original version)

Adalheidis Daina Aletheia

I'm really enjoying Cakewalk, just realized it was available recently. So much fun. Been using Audacity for some time now and will continue to have many uses for it. Yet there is so many more options now with Cakewalk.

I play a lever harp, and do some keyboards with it. This piece is harp only and one of the first things I did with Cakewalk. I ran this one through Audacity before rendering to add a "time track" to get that detune pitch change effect throughout. I am working on a remake of this one and haven't found a suitable option to replicate that within Cakewalk. Melodyne theoretically could work with an automation lane for pitch, but haven't messed with Melodyne on the harp yet, could get really weird, but I'll try it out. I'll post the remake whenever I am done with it to compare the outcome and see how the automation lane will work. The entire B-Side in this set of recordings is in the process of being remade as an A-Side. (If wondering, no not flat, harp tuned to A=421.6 Time signature roughly, 23/4 tempo around 104.)

https://adalheidisdainaaletheia.bandcamp.com/track/b-04-hph-session-02-01-2022

or

https://soundcloud.com/adalheidisdainaaletheia/b-04-hph-session-02-01-2022-adalheidis-daina-aletheia

Edited by Adalheidis Daina Aletheia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

repitition plays such a huge role in music.  I liked your variations here.   You're opening motif is catchy.  I was waiting for a contrasting section, though it felt complete by the end of the piece.

I was actually debating on adding some contrasting section for the remake version, I'll see what happens. I mostly just sat down and started recording on this one, pure improv. Though it is recorded as three separate tracks playing off each other, I can easily play the whole thing as is in one track. It was a part of an experimental songwriting method of composing through improv recording. I liked how all the pieces came out so went ahead and posted them. I am wondering though how much more I would want to change this one since it is the only piece so far that I didn't add keyboards to. Fun process regardless.

• Great Idea 1

I don't know anything about harps except I like the sound. I had assumed the "pitch bends" were done by physically de-tuning strings somehow, but sounds like they're done in software?
Lots of reverb and delay on this gives it an ethereal quality.  Don't think you need to add anything more to it.

Trying to figure out your name. Greek?
-Bjorn