Audio engine issue?

I'm suddenly having issues with loud pops on booting the program, when a file loads, once it pops I get no sound at all, I have to reboot. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. If I turn the Audio Engine off and on I a loud pop also and it doesn't bring the sound back. I've check connections and they all seem fine, nothing else has changed since the issue started. I'm running on WASAPI Shared per the advice of tech support, but it doesn't matter if I switch to ASIO it still happens. I'm Windows 10, latest version, updated Cakewalk.

4 hours ago, Richard Schweitzer said:

I'm suddenly having issues with loud pops on booting the program, when a file loads, once it pops I get no sound at all, I have to reboot. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. If I turn the Audio Engine off and on I a loud pop also and it doesn't bring the sound back. I've check connections and they all seem fine, nothing else has changed since the issue started. I'm running on WASAPI Shared per the advice of tech support, but it doesn't matter if I switch to ASIO it still happens. I'm Windows 10, latest version, updated Cakewalk.

Definitely a plugin or Vst. If its one of the effects: Disable one by one to test. Once identified remove the effect resave and use  different one. If it is a VSTi do the same, mute the track to identify the culprit, once identified do another insert and copy everything from that track to the newly created one. 

4 hours ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

It worked totally fine for two days this week.  No reason why. I work in IT and solve things like this all the time but this is tough.

That was two days ago. Plus, music creation and IT are two vast and widely allien worlds from one another. You cant just check the effects on the master buss. You have to go through each one in the project and then save the project, close and reopen, until the effect/Vsti causing the problem has been detected. This happens with even the most expensive and popular plugins. Whether its Fabfilter, Waves, UAD it happens. Why? I can't tell you. 

I wouldn't tell you something I experience from time to time, knowing exactly that I always need to remember this, when it does happen. You can't predict when this will happen in a project, but it happens. 

If you don't want to take my word for it - oh well. I did try and help. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

I am not sure what help you offered other than to replace the vst.  If the answer is not to use the Serum vst instrument, then the project is gone. There are sounds in there that I have nowhere else.  I will just get through this one by exporting multiple times and splicing together, which is far from ideal.

2 hours ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I am not sure what help you offered other than to replace the vst.  If 

Well, giving solutions that fix a problem is called "helping" the next person - not so? 

Create another track with the same VSTI and preset. Drag all its effects and midi data down on to the newly created insert (NOT A DUPLICATE CREATED TRACK.) 

So, you have to scroll up to the insert menu and insert the same VSTI (Serum with its chosen preset) from there. 

NOTE: if you save the preset, it will save the lockup (pop and the no sound information) within the project - unfortunately. I'm hammering on this cause i experience this a lot, with certain projects even with Kontakt stuff. The same information i'm giving you now was given to me by one of the staff members. I just happened to figure out quicker workarounds over the years from the advice they have given me. 

When you do find the culprit track with the VSTI or Plugin effect, you need to contact that developer with your complaint with version model and which preset (if you want to go through all that channels.) 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

These are difficult to sort out. Have a similar issue with a couple of projects that kill the audio engine (pops!!) at repeatable spots during playback. 

- These projects ran fine for months without any problem. NB, the only activity was tracking vocal takes, setting a few fader levels and adjusting the timing of a few midi notes, -no other changes- to anything other than running WIN10 Pro security updates and  updating CW to the latest version. Believe it has been isolated to a single VST, tried creating new presets, driver settings/reinstall,  re-checking system settings, etc. etc, and even rebuilt the problem tracks in a completely new CW project on a different PC, but with no luck. 

- The only thing that worked was rebuilding the project in another DAW (same PC) ... 

- Checked the original project a month ago after the latest CW update and it ran with no issues!! Perhaps the update changed something?

- Ran the original project two days ago, bang! same problem once again after a month of issue free playback.

IDK, whatever it is it affects the audio engine playback, sharing this in the possibility of some additional insight. Also noting the occasional spiking of all cores in the performance monitor and the audio slowing down just like a "digital tape stop" for a 3-5 secs (but not dropout) and then recover..!!??  NB, -just- playing back to review vocal takes. Current perception here is some combination of system environment/VST/CW audio engine. I stay on top of any known system settings and have tried a number of CW preferences, but always gone back to the original settings which have proven to work for all projects to date. Typically work offline but wondering about any VST "call home" activity. Actively engaged with the VST dev atm, but they haven't been able to replicate the problem on their test setup (but different DAW).