Meta Acquires Accusonus

cclarry

The other shoe... Email from Accusonus

Dear user,

We’re excited to announce that accusonus has joined Meta. This partnership will give us the chance to democratize content creation by developing technology for billions of users.

Beginning today, we are announcing changes to our product line:

Get the installers (was a link)

SFX & Music Cellar, Mauvio, Beat Making & Drum Mixing products will be sunset.

As an owner of a perpetual ERA Bundle or Voice Changer license, please download the latest ERA Bundle and Voice Changer installer. Your use of these products will continue to be supported until early next year.

We will use reasonable efforts to continue to release compatibility updates and provide email support during this transition period.

Thanks a lot for your support along the way. We are looking forward to meeting you again in the next chapter of our journey.

Yours faithfully,
The accusonus team

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

This partnership will give us the chance to democratize content creation by developing technology for billions of users.

Beginning today, we are announcing changes to our product line:

Get the installers (was a link)

SFX & Music Cellar, Mauvio, Beat Making & Drum Mixing products will be sunset.

Hmm... I wonder what this means - they're dropping development of music-making products to focus on helping people use a Like button? I can't help but feel disappointed, though not surprised...

This explains the emails arriving with my authorization codes.  You apparently can't retrieve them from Accusonus' web site any longer. TBH I never used their stuff much after playing with them (Regroover/Rthmiq) when I got a bundle during a BF sale in 2019.  The old ERA version 4 I had was replaced by better tools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antler said:

Hmm... I wonder what this means - they're dropping development of music-making products to focus on helping people use a Like button? I can't help but feel disappointed, though not surprised...

I'd assume because they are getting a much bigger payday.

Long live Image-Line, Cockos, Bandlab, Melda Productions. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lawajava said:

Don’t care for Meta.  I have been steadily using Accusonus products on my songs and really like them.  Sunsetting the whole lot of Accusonus products after the acquisition is kind of harsh. I’m bummed.

I have a couple but don't use them much, even so, very much in agreement regarding end of life.  

Shines a very direct light on the potential life span of these investments and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.  

I was opening a number of recording sessions I did 8 years ago and brought to light the plugins and workflow I was using then.  Could have easily run into effects no longer working, and 8 years ago really felt pretty recent.

3 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

I lost a lot of faith in the soundness of my audio investments when Camel Audio went ***** up. Hate to see this stuff for the users. 

I befriended and visited Ben, the owner of Camel Audio, in Scotland, but haven't caught up with him in a number of years. Did Apple close them up? Ben's actually a great guy and a talented musician and developer, BTW.  I hung out with him in Edenburgh on business more than a decade ago and he took me to this nightclub where they were playing one of his songs and it was really good. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I befriended and visited Ben, the owner of Camel Audio, in Scotland, but haven't caught up with him in a number of years. Did Apple close them up? Ben's actually a great guy and a talented musician and developer, BTW.  I hung out with him in Edenburgh on business more than a decade ago and he took me to this nightclub where they were playing one of his songs and it was really good. 

Yes, Apple bought and shut them down in 2014 or so. Alchemy got bundled into Logic but disappeared for Windows users. I was heavily invested in Alchemy soundbanks etc at the time. Dropped many hundreds just before the ship sank. 

I really loved Alchemy, but will be damned if I ever buy a Mac again.

I'm sure Ben is a great guy.  The Camel folk were quite active in the audio community before Apple disappeared them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting wrinkle: i got an email this morning that 75% or so of my one year subscription to Accusonus...was refunded!  and my plugins don't work any more.  That. Is. Weird.

No explanation.  Other than the "sunsetting" notice others above mention.  Meta bought them for around 60-100 million EU.  Not a bad haul but...yeah, really a strange thing, I've never had a refund for something I didn't ask for a refund for.  

• Like 1