Jump to content
Pilutiful

CbB export vs old SONAR export

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have been sticking with SONAR Professional (2017.06), but today I decided to try CbB...I compared by exporting exact same project and found that they sound quite different (I AB'ed). CbB sounds much more open to me and there's more seperation. Could this be true?? export settings (sample rate, bit depth, dithering etc) were the same.

Have bandlab been improving this? better summing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, Cakewalk has been massively renewed in recent years. I think 3 or 4 updates from last year were dedicated to export. What I don't understand is something else ... how can you still work in an old and outdated program morally and physically, when you have a new and friendly one at your disposal?

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The export code behind the scenes is basically the same between SONAR and CbB.  The only changes that have been made in CbB are fixes to the way buses / aux tracks are handled when dealing with a selection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, siordanescu said:

Of course, Cakewalk has been massively renewed in recent years. I think 3 or 4 updates from last year were dedicated to export. What I don't understand is something else ... how can you still work in an old and outdated program morally and physically, when you have a new and friendly one at your disposal?

I tried when CbB first came out, but a number of plugins didn't work. Tried again later with same result. Just didn't have time to do more about it. Now it seems to work great 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The export code behind the scenes is basically the same between SONAR and CbB.  The only changes that have been made in CbB are fixes to the way buses / aux tracks are handled when dealing with a selection. 

It probably isn't necessarily about export but just the overall sound. There is no doubt in my mind CbB sounds better/more detailed for whatever reason..

Edited by Pilutiful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pilutiful said:

There is no doubt in my mind CbB sounds better/more detailed for whatever reason.

It would be best to figure out exactly why that is, because it's almost certainly configuration-specific, and thus could revert back to the less-pleasing configuration at some point without your knowing how to restore the magic.

First step would be to import the master bus export from one version into the other to verify there is an actual difference with a nulling test and, if so, start comparing individual tracks/stems with frozen synths and FX to nail it down.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...