M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61 and IK's B-X3

I thought IK's Hammond B-X3 would be a great candidate for me to create my first instrument preset for my Oxygen Pro 61 controller. And it worked great! I am no keyboard player, I am a guitarist, but I thought the B3 would benefit having control over using the faders, knobs and button on the controller.

So I checked the CCs that the B-X3 responds to. That is well laid out in the settings by IK, which made that part very easy. Then I decided how I would map out the B-X3's controls to what is available on the controller. Here is how things ended up .

• The upper drawbars are assigned to the faders
  • The pedals drawbars are assigned to the first and second knobs
  • The first 6 lower drawbars are assigned to knobs 3-8 (nothing left for the last 3 drawbars 😟)
  • The rocker switches are assigned to the pads, each rocker switched control by 2 pads vertically. For example for the volume rocker switch: the top pad does 'normal' and the bottom does 'soft'. The first 3 switches (pads column 1-3) and the last 4 switches (columns 4-7) are color coded to make the distinction easy.
  • The last column of pads is used to control brake. Bottom red pad is stop and top green pad is go. 🙂
  • Finally, the 'vibrato and chorus' rotary switch was a little bit of a problem to do. I settled to use the fader buttons to do it. Buttons 1-6 control the 6 settings. You of course first use the mode switch of the controller to put it in midi mode.
  • As a bonus, I mapped the Leslie speed and brake to the 2 remaining fader buttons (7-8)

Since I know very little about the Hammond B3's operation, if you have any suggestion on improving this let me know.

IK Hammond B-3X.OxygenPro61UserPreset

5 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I thought IK's Hammond B-X3 would be a great candidate for me to create my first instrument preset for my Oxygen Pro 61 controller. And it worked great! I am no keyboard player, I am a guitarist, but I thought the B3 would benefit having control over using the faders, knobs and button on the controller.

So I checked the CCs that the B-X3 responds to. That is well laid out in the settings by IK, which made that part very easy. Then I decided how I would map out the B-X3's controls to what is available on the controller. Here is how things ended up .

• The upper drawbars are assigned to the faders
  • The pedals drawbars are assigned to the first and second knobs
  • The first 6 lower drawbars are assigned to knobs 3-8 (nothing left for the last 3 drawbars 😟)
  • The rocker switches are assigned to the pads, each rocker switched control by 2 pads vertically. For example for the volume rocker switch: the top pad does 'normal' and the bottom does 'soft'. The first 3 switches (pads column 1-3) and the last 4 switches (columns 4-7) are color coded to make the distinction easy.
  • The last column of pads is used to control brake. Bottom red pad is stop and top green pad is go. 🙂
  • Finally, the 'vibrato and chorus' rotary switch was a little bit of a problem to do. I settled to use the fader buttons to do it. Buttons 1-6 control the 6 settings. You of course first use the mode switch of the controller to put it in midi mode.
  • As a bonus, I mapped the Leslie speed and brake to the 2 remaining fader buttons (7-8)

Since I know very little about the Hammond B3's operation, if you have any suggestion on improving this let me know.

IK Hammond B-3X.OxygenPro61UserPreset 220.29 kB · 0 downloads

Under the "Advanced" button you can set a keyboard split for the B3 upper and lower manuals from your controller at a note like C3, or your choice.

Or you can use two keyboard controllers sending notes on MIDI ch 1 and ch 2 for upper and lower, respectively. These settings are in the "gear" options menu. If you have actual MIDI pedals, you can send them in on MIDI ch 3.

• Thanks 1