Jump to content
RICHARD HUTCHINS

Vox disappeared from my backup

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am going back through my songs armed with a lot more knowledge about Cakewalk ( thanks mainly to this forum) . Its a bit scary how bad all of the mixes were but I was a complete novice then.

I opened an old song, which seemed to be saved as a cakewalk bundle. However I've lost the vocal track. No sound but I can see the waveform clearly. Obviously something stupid done or not done on my part? Have I lost this? Everything else plays back fine.

 

Rich

 

PS So pleased I didn't quite make it to the final three choices of engineer for the new Adele album. 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried any random tricks to solve that? Like saving as .cwp and checking if there is an audible audio file in the  audio folder?

I know what you're talking about :o/  A mix that once was "hey, that's almost like a real one" is now "pitiful, I didn't do it. Who's messed it up?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes tried a few things, nothing works. I'm sure there's a bank of code in CW designed to annoy me every few days! If I could see the source code it would say " open array" IF Richie is annoyed, then " do again in a few days"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i see a function in "throw exception pOforRichard(random(date-4))" not sure if this specifically for you though 🙂 

it is a good idea to try and save as a normal project and determine if the clips are all there or not. although the vox missing might be a signal from a higher power that you need to re-track those anyways 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i see a function in "throw exception pOforRichard(random(date-4))" not sure if this specifically for you though 🙂 

 

I KNEW it! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, think I've sussed it. For some odd reason the track was in Stereo. Changed it to mono " convert to mono" and now I can hear the vocals. The track looked a bit odd, and now I know why. Such a silly novice thing to miss, I don't think any of the experienced users will say " wow Rich that's a useful thread" but still, just wanted to post to say I am on the right path to sorting it. Just need to find out what went wrong when I saved it as I am pretty sure this wasn't an inadvertent stereo track. Thanks to those who replied, as usual v grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey if it makes you feel any better. I'm just in the process of doing what your doing. Opening old projects to re mix using what I think are better tools and methods. 

I listen to the MP3 files I posted on Sound Cloud 2 years ago on my headphones/Cell phone and make notes about what needs fixing. 

Then I opened this one project that is all clearly marked as being from around the same date as those files were uploaded and??? Were's that guitar track? That's not right??? This doesn't sound the same at all??? 

A quick check of all my back up files all show the exact same dates and looking in the audio folders show the exact same files?? But the MP3 version on Sound Cloud is "better"?? Anyhow, I have a feeling this is a case that the absolute final version in a folder  on a bck up drive, which one is the question. I have somehow hidden it in a drawer somewhere for safe keeping along with my Capo I can't find.

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know others who, unlike me know what they are doing have the odd glitch which defies explanation! If my learning curve was any steeper it would be be a circle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops. Sorry. Wrong forum.

Edited by Keni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...