[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.02 Early Access [Updated to Build 27]

Morten Saether

I just tried to download the new early update again.  The error message reads:

This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

So I've been using Cakewalk since its inception many years ago.  Then, when BandLab took it over, I've been using it continually since.  Never had this problem before, and I really don't understand why I'm getting this message.  Please let me know what is wrong.  I love what BandLab is doing to Cakewalk.  Making it even better than it was before.

Help!
Steve Scheffler

7 minutes ago, Scheffler said:

I just tried to download the new early update again.  The error message reads:

This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

So I've been using Cakewalk since its inception many years ago.  Then, when BandLab took it over, I've been using it continually since.  Never had this problem before, and I really don't understand why I'm getting this message.  Please let me know what is wrong.  I love what BandLab is doing to Cakewalk.  Making it even better than it was before.

Help!
Steve Scheffler

Hi Steve,

Can you post a screenshot of what the exact error message you're seeing is? Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Anikin_VI said:

Here are other screenshots (MME - all texts in English, UWP -  all texts in native language, encoding latin1, I think):

1050567508_MME_MIDIDevices.png.fab21bee016759d4801311f3e4c9315a.png1050567508_MME_MIDIDevices.png.fab21bee016759d4801311f3e4c9315a.png1483178454_MME_MIDIInstruments.png.2f261904b5935b6e7c1a0b3353c72309.png340954100_MME_MIDIControlSurfaces.png.fd99b86ab4a129a5fd78f8ac5e998ba8.png270153699_UWP_MIDIDevices.png.c6a6682b00b1a9264611797f4918000f.png1450771438_UWP_MIDIInstruments.png.75619633b0f109aa5c44da3bbdde7e6b.png813480434_UWP_ControlSurfaces.png.513b2337e3fae835427dfce6f400ee41.png

MME_MIDI Playback and Recording.png

As far as I can tell, CbB simply shows the name reported by the MIDI device driver. I also verified that our UI is capable of showing Unicode characters correctly in this context (I even tested it with emojis!). I can't reproduce it, but then we only have UWP MIDI devices that return plain ASCII/English names.

It's possible that the Virtual MIDI Synth software you're using is returning the name incorrectly when in UWP mode. Does the name show correctly in other software?

ps. Thanks for taking the time to share those screenshots.

45 minutes ago, Ben Staton said:

As far as I can tell, CbB simply shows the name reported by the MIDI device driver. I also verified that our UI is capable of showing Unicode characters correctly in this context (I even tested it with emojis!). I can't reproduce it, but then we only have UWP MIDI devices that return plain ASCII/English names.

It's possible that the Virtual MIDI Synth software you're using is returning the name incorrectly when in UWP mode. Does the name show correctly in other software?

ps. Thanks for taking the time to share those screenshots.

When I use Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, the result is the same! I don't know what is it on all my computers.

2 minutes ago, Anikin_VI said:

When I use Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, the result is the same! I don't know what is it on all my computers.

Oh, interesting. Same for Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? It seems OK here, but I'm using Windows 10 English:

image.png.6b038753051a54a61046b0bac4523a32.png

What language is Windows using? We might be able to duplicate it if we know the OS language.

12 minutes ago, Ben Staton said:

Oh, interesting. Same for Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? It seems OK here, but I'm using Windows 10 English:

What language is Windows using? We might be able to duplicate it if we know the OS language.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and  Windows 10 Home Russian.

Edited by Anikin_VI
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Dexed seems buggy as all hell to me (I uninstalled it), especially if doing anything syncing to tempo.

For me it was always fine since it's early ages in XP 32bit. Only recently the one big issue is that it somehow overloads outputs massively then the whole project looses sound and needs reload, sometimes when that is not enough then restart Cakewalk.

2 hours ago, GreenLight said:

A visual indicator for this is actually a great idea! 💡 I don't know how many threads and questions that have been created about this in the forum...

It certainly feels like a bug if you don't know what it is and activate it by mistake. :)

Or maybe just remove the functionality?  I'd guess it makes very little difference now (vs when it was introduced) and the annoyance overhead is quite high!

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.02 Early Access [Updated to Build 27]
  • Morten Saether unpinned and unfeatured this topic
13 hours ago, Anikin_VI said:

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and  Windows 10 Home Russian.

13 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

I suppose that this is a localization issue. Windows 10 sends to Cakewalk some local text using latin1 encoding, i.e. gibberish. And such gibberish will be visible in every country that uses the localized version of Windows 10. Am I right?

Edited by Anikin_VI

On 2/15/2022 at 9:37 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Craig Reeves can you please verify whether build 28.02.0.026 resolves the autotune issue? We don't have any way of verifying it since our license has expired.

Thanks, Neil. Issue was completely resolved in this latest release (2022.02 build 029)! 

Edited by Craig Reeves