MIDI Groove Clip Pitches - A Minor Problem?

DallasSteve

Question

I read a little about using pitch markers with MIDI Groove clips.  I'd like to be able to load multiple groove clips into a project and have them adjust to chord changes.  I found where the use of pitch markers is described in the reference guide and I created a test project to test that function (screenshot below).  I created a simple MiDI Groove clip with the melody shown and inserted 4 pitch markers.  When I play it back it does raise the pitch of the notes as indicated by the markers.  However, there it always follows the same exact melody; it doesn't adjust the notes for major and minor chords.  In this example I would like it to play D major followed by E minor but it plays E major.  There doesn't seem to be any way to tell it E minor in the pitch markers. 

Question:  Can the pitch marker be adjusted to major/minor and, if not, how is it useful in the real world? 

I can see it would be useful for a simple one note bass line or a 1/5 chord pattern, but not much else.

Cakewalk.jpg

3 answers to this question

In many ways Groove Clip pitch markers are  a poor man's chord track. It'll move pitch up and down, but  what you cannot do is change from major to minor. 

It does work with both MIDI Groove Clips and Audio Groove Clips though.

The thing you need to remember to do, within Properties / Groove Clip is:

• Turn on Looping
  • Turn on "Follow Pitch"
  • Correctly set the Reference Note

e.g.:   In this example, I've played a C triad in the MIDI track.

The Pitch markers are set to C  at bar 1,   F at bar 2, and back to C at bar 3.   The chord correctly changes to an F at bar 2, and back to C at bar 3. 

image.thumb.png.6e8812cefb4a86b62cde5aadd7aef82f.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

That Sounds like you want a chord track. Cakewalk does not have that.

Thanks.  I was hoping this Groove Clip pitch marker did something like  a chord track, but I guess not.  Maybe I could write a CAL program to do what I need, but right now I don't need it enough to put in that work.  I can do a semi-work around by transposing measures to adapt to chord changes, but I will still have to clean up the major/minor chord differences.