Recreate the ARP 2600 patch for JMJ Oxygene IV with the free Voltage Modular Nucleus

abacab

Step by step tutorial, using a free synth! It's a Music Radar article from last year. Posting for anyone interested that may have missed this.

"An unlikely hit, Oxygene IV climbed to number 4 in the UK single chart, and is arguably Jarre’s most recognisable composition. Both the single and the LP from which it was drawn made an indelible impression on generations of would-be electronic musicians."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/jean-michel-jarre-best-synth-sound

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/voltage-modular-nucleus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, ZincT said:

@abacab 

I missed that one! Thanks for sharing.  Now I know what I'll be doing on Sunday 👍

The instructions are pretty clear. Took me about 15 minutes to patch that up. Saved as a User preset for future use.

If you don't already have Voltage installed, plan on another 15 mins. YMMV! :)

Good luck! For extra credit, try patching it without looking at the pics in the article, LOL!

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

The entire article is pretty good, "The 40 greatest synth sounds of all time [...] how to re-create every single one of them, right now, for free",  in the May 2021 issue of Computer Music (available at magzter, pocketmags, zinio, etc.)

Don't miss the other 39!

(note: many of the sections of the article are available in the Music Radar archive as well https://www.musicradar.com/news/archive/2021/5 )

• Thanks 4

16 hours ago, abacab said:

The instructions are pretty clear. Took me about 15 minutes to patch that up. Saved as a User preset for future use.

If you don't already have Voltage installed, plan on another 15 mins. YMMV! :)

Good luck! For extra credit, try patching it without looking at the pics in the article, LOL!

Done! Yes the instructions were pretty clear. I used the pictures to check that my cables looked the same at the end (different colours though).

Also, I had a stuck note after connecting the amp output which cleared after reloading the patch (there is also a free MIDI panic module). 

Only another 39 to go 😵

Edited by ZincT

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

Done! Yes the instructions were pretty clear. I used the pictures to check that my cables looked the same at the end (different colours though).

Also, I had a stuck note after connecting the amp output which cleared after reloading the patch (there is also a free MIDI panic module). 

Only another 39 to go 😵

Congrats! That was fun, right?

I hope I learned a bit more about patching a modular synth from scratch. I usually tend to open up one of the many VM presets and experiment with them, but it would be useful to know how to intuitively build a modular sound from <blank>. 🙃

I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other 27 Music Radar synth patches that make use Dune CM, Bazille CM, & Thorn CM. 👍

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

15 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Was just about to post the same! Though this method might be easier on the pocket book, unless you think time is money.

I suppose the real value here is learning how to program rather than creating a specific sound. Once you understand how the sounds are created its often quicker to create a patch from scratch for the sound in your head than scroll through thousands of presets looking for something close.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Congrats! That was fun, right?

I hope I learned a bit more about patching a modular synth from scratch. I usually tend to open up one of the many VM presets and experiment with them, but it would be useful to know how to intuitively build a modular sound from <blank>. 🙃

Yup, it was actually quite fun. I'm like you - tweak existing presets rather than start from scratch. I must do more. 💡 

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other 27 Music Radar synth patches that make use Dune CM, Bazille CM, & Thorn CM. 👍

Good idea 👍🏻

• Like 1