I KEPT COMING BACK TO THE DEMO...

Miguel Carzola

Hello everyone. 
A long time ago there was a girl I liked and she was here as a student  I knew she was going back some day so I couldn’t let it get too serious but dang it, I wanted to. I grew up on Cuban music among other things, and there’s a style called Bolero. The “trio” format of Bolero is mostly done with three male voices, a couple of guitars, light percussion, and lots of harmonies, and the songs are usually about deep  and sometimes tortured love-which was exactly how I was feeling. Everything  came quickly, wrote it on a piano but then had a band mate play a couple of tracks of guitar strumming  and picking using chord inversions, panned them out, added light percussion and a faint bass line, and then we did harmonies.     
Anyway, made a whole pop arrangement after that and spent time making it sound commercial but I found myself preferring the demo version every time with all its mistakes and sour notes. 
It’s in Spanish so some here will miss “the why” for some of the musical decisions that go with the lyrics, but I hope you all enjoy it nevertheless. 
Ok…enough rambling. 

thanx \ 😃

Edited by Miguel Carzola
  • Like 4

Well done. I actually prefer music in other languages then your not distracted by lyrics. My wifes sister married a Mexican and we go to visit from time to time. They Live in Puebla. I helped my nephews band make a recording in their church there. They were real good. My Nephew has since produced a few albums on his own and he's not only a great plaayer but has become a first class sound tech too. He introduced me to real Latin music. It's addictive! I ended up coming home with a bunch of CD's. My favourite is Mana'. Espesially their Unplugged album. Anyhow, I have no clue what they are singing , I only catch the meaning somehow. 

When I had my real studio I recorded a Cuban band that was on tour and needed a quick demo. They had some weird 8 string guitars and of course Bongos and shakers and stuff.  And then another Cuban showed up on my doorstep and recorded a few songs very close to what you just did there. Anyhow, keep the demo it has soul and fits the song perfectly. The singing is all that matters. 

Edited by John Vere

Hey John!

Thank you so much for the listen and the feedback. That’s awesome that you got to record Latin music with Mexican and Cuban musicians. That eight string guitar on that group you’re talking about is kind of the same idea as the 12 string guitar we normally see, but with eight strings on four courses instead of 12 on six. It’s called a  “Cuatro“ (which means four in Spanish) because of the four courses with string pairs tuned to the same key. There is a six string version with three courses cleverly named “Tres“ lol. Both those guitars are used to play parts that would be done on a piano in traditional Cuban music, except they are way cheaper and easier to carry around the Cuban country side than a piano if you are a touring band 😂

And Maná!  Wow man, those dudes are real pioneers of Rock En Español. By pure chance I had the opportunity  to meet them at an after party for the Latin Grammys a few years back. They were super cool. Their drummer ironically is also  from a  Cuban American family, just like the drummer of another amazing rock band you may have heard of- Bon Jovi lol 

Thanks again for the good vibes and the comments  I appreciate you  

Be well   

Edited by Miguel Carzola
  • Like 1

I thought this was really good.
Loved the vocal and harmonies.

In my head I cant imagine sounding another way..  I think you made the right decision with way it is,
I also agree with a little more bass...  but I dont know anything about this style of music... just personal taste.

37 minutes ago, Miguel Carzola said:

Garyyyy!!! 👋🏼😃

Thank you so much for helping me with the objective listen and the comments. I really appreciate it. 
What are you working on?  When do we get to hear your next piece? 

I am working on a few tracks for people within the forum.
Having a lot of fun and learning a lot.  🙂

I have nothing planned as of yet for myself.

• Like 1