RC-20 Retro Color $19 (normally $99.95) at Plugin Boutique

Craig N

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Well, I've compared RC-20 with several retro manglers that I already have, Arturia TAPE MELLO-FI, iZotope Trash 2, and Waves Abbey Road Vinyl.

Conclusion for me is that Trash 2 has the most mangling options and presets available within categories [Distort, Drive, Faulty, Fuzz, Heavy, Retro, Saturate] along with filtering and effects. How about "Cassette", "Earbuds",  "Home Recording", "Vintage Soundtrack", etc.?

TAPE MELLO-FI has a cool "crappy radio" preset, as well as a few others along with a basic interface, and Abbey Road vinyl has the most realistic musical retro effects.

I'm going to pass on RC-20. Although it probably has the most relevant features in a single interface. Probably a no-brainer for $19, if you don't already have similar tools. :)

Ease of use of RC-20 is a total no brainer for this price... Trash2 is different. This is a fast gratification type of plugin and it sounds great imho. Instant inspiration.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

Ease of use of RC-20 is a total no brainer for this price... Trash2 is different. This is a fast gratification type of plugin and it sounds great imho. Instant inspiration.

I humbly disagree from my perspective, and I fully understand what you are saying. But that's OK. We all have our personal preferences, and I don't expect anyone else to have mine. YMMV. :)

I choose to spend my available budget on things I NEED. Since I don't use retro or lo-fi very often, I don't really have much use for instant inspiration  for this technique.

I waited my whole life to go from LP's and cassettes to digital hi-fi, so I ain't gonna go back now (very often).

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scott Kral said:

Glad to know I'm not alone in not receiving a serial number.  This is the longest delay I believe I've ever experienced between purchasing a digital product and a key or serial.  

Did you check your PluginBoutique account?

52 minutes ago, Scott Kral said:

Glad to know I'm not alone in not receiving a serial number.  This is the longest delay I believe I've ever experienced between purchasing a digital product and a key or serial.  

I never wait for the email.  I go straight to my account (with any vendor)

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Did you check your PluginBoutique account?

Yes.  Here's what it says there: "Your order is currently being processed and your serial will be available shortly. You will receive an email from us once this has been deposited into your user account." 

It's been about 24 hours thus far.  I'm sure it will eventually appear, not worried. Just not sure what exactly "shortly" means to PluginBoutique.

1 minute ago, Scott Kral said:

Yes.  Here's what it says there: "Your order is currently being processed and your serial will be available shortly. You will receive an email from us once this has been deposited into your user account." 

It's been about 24 hours thus far.  I'm sure it will eventually appear, not worried. Just not sure what exactly "shortly" means to PluginBoutique.

I’m sure it’ll get fixed very soon. They’re a reputable shop. 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Since I don't use retro or lo-fi very often, I don't really have much use for instant inspiration  for this technique.

It's a very narrow, specialized use for me: dialog samples. I use them on every ambient piece. If it weren't for that one single use, this thing would be superfluous to me.

For that one use, though, it's brilliant. And who knows, maybe it'll find other uses.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Now 502 Bad Gateway at xlnaudio.com LOL

Same here

2 hours ago, mibby said:

You didn't already have it??  That plugin is like 5 years old!

Just never wanted to spend upwards of $50 (best sale price IIRC) for such a specialized tool.

Same with XO and their Drum Shaper and Replacer (I already have trigger2 by Slate which I use regularly and drumagog which I hardly use anymore).

I don't think these type of plugins are strictly for lo-fi despite the marketing involved.  If they named it " Super Coloring Multi-Effect Tape Processor" it would work exactly the same in multiple genres.  Musicians use all manner of processors both physical (pedals and amps) and software that technically distort and degrade sound.  Every distortion pedal is not for everyone and this certainly isn't either.  At this price point i will likely get it because it is worth it just for processing samples alone.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2022 at 5:19 AM, abacab said:

Live 11 allows one defined VST2 folder path, and also allows you to select a custom VST3 path. I leave the VST3 at the default location.

For an extra VST2 path, what you can do is place a Windows shortcut in Live's defined VST2 path that points to another folder, such as the Cakewalk VST2 path in Program files. That works for me here. Then they show up in Live's Plug-ins browser as VST listed under "Cakewalk VSTPlugins - shortcut".

Live 11 plug-in prefs.PNG

Live - Cakewalk plug-ins.PNG

Oh that is what I was thinking of! I do remember vaguely there was a workaround. Seemed odd they wouldn't just allow people to add more paths, but at least the workarounds were pretty effective.

6 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I don't think these type of plugins are strictly for lo-fi despite the marketing involved.  If they named it " Super Coloring Multi-Effect Tape Processor" it would work exactly the same in multiple genres.  Musicians use all manner of processors both physical (pedals and amps) and software that technically distort and degrade sound.  Every distortion pedal is not for everyone and this certainly isn't either.  At this price point i will likely get it because it is worth it just for processing samples alone.

Absolutely!!! Again very inspiring tool. Put it on anything mix it in with taste. See if it works, if not move on.

Edited by ZokZTM
  • Like 1