RC-20 Retro Color $19 (normally $99.95) at Plugin Boutique

Craig N

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

The shortcut trick doesn't work any longer since 11.1.  It will supposedly be fixed.  You can create symbolic links within the single vst2 folder to your various VST2 folders using HardLinkShell, however. That does work.

UH-oh! Good thing I haven't updated yet! Still on 11.0.12. 🙄

• Great Idea 1

12 minutes ago, abacab said:

UH-oh! Good thing I haven't updated yet! Still on 11.0.12. 🙄

If you upgrade and need help with the symbolic link thing, PM and I’ll send you a link to decent instructions. I had my main Ableton vst2 folder populated with only shortcut links to other folders and I was showing no vst2 at all after the update.  Working fine now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My name is Erik and I'm a plug-in addict.

I went to download and install the RC-20 trial and found out that I already have an account at XLN Audio. My account on the site doesn't indicate that I own any licenses, but two of my computers are shown as activated.

I have no memory whatsoever of getting any XLN licenses.

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

My name is Erik and I'm a plug-in addict.

I went to download and install the RC-20 trial and found out that I already have an account at XLN Audio. My account on the site doesn't indicate that I own any licenses, but two of my computers are shown as activated.

I have no memory whatsoever of getting any XLN licenses.

I was the same - it's because they want you to create an account and use their silly installer just to run a demo. I checked out XO during the Black Friday sale but didn't bite. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

I downloaded the demo of RC-20.

Is it just me, or does every preset (except the vinyl) make a track sound like total garbage? 🙄

But the price! LOL. 🤣

I thought the same other than for the obvious creative effect.  Need to make a track sound like the neighbors are blasting the stereo but you are hearing it next door?  One click and done!

Make sure to scale back the slider in the upper right to reduce intensity overall.  This is one I'd expect to need to use sparingly and the presets seems like the this is how much you can alter the sound type.  I basically started building from scratch to see what the possibilities are.  

I would have picked up the recent deal for VYBZ for $10 if I'd known about it when it was live.  But this deal at twice that I'm on the fence.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

It took me 20 minutes with the trial version to know I absolutely love the RC-20 and buy it.

Oh, it's GOING on the lead vocals for your cover of "Strawberry Fields," isn't it? 😁 Perfect tool for nailing that sound. It has a good doubler preset.

I'm diggin' it pretty good on dialog samples. Mine come from watching movies and TV shows on my computer and capturing with Audacity, so they start out way too clean. I highpass way up (of course), then bitcrush, then add some widening and delay for trippiness' sake. I think of dialog samples as slightly sour ear candy. They should be grainy enough to stand out from an otherwise glossy electronic mix, but have the effect of a surprise treat. This plug-in has pretty much everything I use to do that, with a few more tricks beside.

This is one of those things where I'm sure I could nail every sound in it by using 3 or 4 other plug-ins I already have. There's a comprehensive quiver of most-used sample processing tools in one container.

If I wake up tomorrow and still think it's a good idea, I'm getting it.

24 minutes ago, abacab said:

I woke up "tomorrow", and still scratching my head... 🙃

FWIW I pulled the trigger about 6 or 7 hours ago and still haven't received a licence, it's showing 'being processed' - I wonder if they have run out of keys and are requesting more from XLN ?

33 minutes ago, simon said:

FWIW I pulled the trigger about 6 or 7 hours ago and still haven't received a licence, it's showing 'being processed' - I wonder if they have run out of keys and are requesting more from XLN ?

Same here. Purchased it yesterday afternoon but no license. Sent them a support ticket today but nothing so far.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Craig N said:

I was the same - it's because they want you to create an account and use their silly installer just to run a demo. I checked out XO during the Black Friday sale but didn't bite. 

You can only have 2 machines in an XLN account.  I had to use another email for a 3rd machine.  This is why I won't buy their stuff.

1 hour ago, simon said:

And same here. Was going to ask if anyone is still waiting.

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

They just launched a new media campaign on the sale today. Must be that it’s going well. 

No wonder. It's gewd stouph at greyt priss.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I woke up "tomorrow", and still scratching my head... 🙃

Well, I've compared RC-20 with several retro manglers that I already have, Arturia TAPE MELLO-FI, iZotope Trash 2, and Waves Abbey Road Vinyl.

Conclusion for me is that Trash 2 has the most mangling options and presets available within categories [Distort, Drive, Faulty, Fuzz, Heavy, Retro, Saturate] along with filtering and effects. How about "Cassette", "Earbuds",  "Home Recording", "Vintage Soundtrack", etc.?

TAPE MELLO-FI has a cool "crappy radio" preset, as well as a few others along with a basic interface, and Abbey Road vinyl has the most realistic musical retro effects.

I'm going to pass on RC-20. Although it probably has the most relevant features in a single interface. Probably a no-brainer for $19, if you don't already have similar tools. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1