RC-20 Retro Color $19 (normally $99.95) at Plugin Boutique

Craig N

5 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Does it suffer the same authorization problem as Addictive Drums where every windows update you have to reauthorize the computer?  

Only the feature (12 monthly) Windows Updates that have this issue.

The Patch Tuesday Windows Updates do not have this issue (At least, not on my rig).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simon said:

Also doesn't Unify show as just a VSTi plugin so you couldn't insert it as a FX in cubase/nuendo ?

I believe that is correct.

What you would need to do is host your chosen VSTi instrument(s), AND the VST2 effect inside of a Unify VST3 plugin as a wrapper, in a Cubase instrument track. You could then apply the VST2 effect to the instrument(s) hosted in Unify, and that audio would be mixed and sent out to the Cubase track that is hosting the wrapper.

I did notice that Kushview Element has both VSTi and VST versions, but have not tried the FX version yet. The instrument version works great!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

They still only allow payment in British Sterling it seems. 

Yup, with Plugin Boutique, the exchange rate with PayPal gets me every time. I end up paying slightly more in USD at the final tally than what was quoted (obviously not real-time) in my shopping cart. 🙄

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yup, with Plugin Boutique, the exchange rate with PayPal gets me every time. I end up paying slightly more in USD at the final tally than what was quoted (obviously not real-time) in my shopping cart. 🙄

Same here. I put it on my cc and there’s a 2% fee. I don’t understand why PluginBoutique can’t simply bill us in proper currency like Time+Space do. Some fishy explanation that they’re Albion based? Yeah, sure :)

• Great Idea 1

Just now, James Foxall said:

Paid over $40 for this a week ago.

I haven't got the hang of it yet.

Close but no cigar. 
Still, didn’t go lower than 50% off all those years.  This 10-years-of-PluginBoutique two-day 80% off sale price is quite unique. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MusicMan said:

For some reason ages ago, I seem to remember Live only allowing me to configure one VST folder path.. doesn't sound right though, so I may be remembering that incorrectly 🤣

Live 11 allows one defined VST2 folder path, and also allows you to select a custom VST3 path. I leave the VST3 at the default location.

For an extra VST2 path, what you can do is place a Windows shortcut in Live's defined VST2 path that points to another folder, such as the Cakewalk VST2 path in Program files. That works for me here. Then they show up in Live's Plug-ins browser as VST listed under "Cakewalk VSTPlugins - shortcut".

Live 11 plug-in prefs.PNG

Live - Cakewalk plug-ins.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Same here. I put it on my cc and there’s a 2% fee. I don’t understand why PluginBoutique can’t simply bill us in proper currency like Time+Space do. Some fishy explanation that they’re Albion based? Yeah, sure :)

Deleted!

Edited by marled

46 minutes ago, Fleer said:

It could be worse. At least PB--unlike, say, Fluffy Audio--doesn't use fastspring, a middle man who adds US sales tax even when buying something from another country 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, TW5011 said:

FYI, some credit cards don't charge a foreign transaction fee.  I know some Visa cards don't.  Saves a couple of dollars...

Mine charges the fee but then refunds it immediately after. Not sure why. I just have to remember to deselect the convert currency option in PayPal. Every once in a while I forget and get stung. At least my credit card details are safe when I use PayPal though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Live 11 allows one defined VST2 folder path, and also allows you to select a custom VST3 path. I leave the VST3 at the default location.

For an extra VST2 path, what you can do is place a Windows shortcut in Live's defined VST2 path that points to another folder, such as the Cakewalk VST2 path in Program files. That works for me here. Then they show up in Live's Plug-ins browser as VST listed under "Cakewalk VSTPlugins - shortcut".

Live 11 plug-in prefs.PNG

Live - Cakewalk plug-ins.PNG

The shortcut trick doesn't work any longer since 11.1.  It will supposedly be fixed.  You can create symbolic links within the single vst2 folder to your various VST2 folders using HardLinkShell, however. That does work.

And back on topic, I'm demoing this RC-20 and uh-oh.  I like it.

Edited by Anxiousmofo

10 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I recently bought Waves' lofi plugin and just  demoed the RC-20. There's no comparison. The RC-20 sounds incredibly better than the Waves plugin to my ears. It's hard to believe the RC-20 is this cheap. I bought it. 

Have you tried Cymatics Origin? XelOhh really likes it as an RC-20-alike. I like Origin (it's just the thing for those ambient dialog samples), so I'm wondering if I might like RC-20 better.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Have you tried Cymatics Origin? XelOhh really likes it as an RC-20-alike. I like Origin (it's just the thing for those ambient dialog samples), so I'm wondering if I might like RC-20 better.

I actually downloaded Origin a while ago and completely forgot what type of effect it is! I just know that after using RC-20, I feel like I wasted money buying Waves Retro-Fi plugin I bought when it first came out.  The RC-20 has a 7 or 10 day trial. It took me 20 minutes with the trial version to know I absolutely love the RC-20 and buy it.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1