Recommendations

Will.

I'm looking to upgrade from my KRK Rokit 6 monitors (which i had for 6 years) to any of these, which just happens to be in my budget price range. Does anyone own a pair perhaps and what are your thoughts on them? 

I have read a few reviews on them and they're not bad. 

I'm only used to Yamaha's, M-Audio's (which I owned before) Eve's, Samsons and Presonus, from the various studios i had worked in and visited with the majority with KRK systems - I guess its the "standard." 

KRK'S are great dont get me wrong, I'm just looking for "different," that's perhaps better with a more precise (as in balanced) flat response and not too overly bass heavy.  A nice clean sounding pair of monitors. 

2071536837_images(9).jpeg.671fdd02168525c152d2e660d52cd85a.jpeg

1225170089_images(10).jpeg.6b34c07376b87a3d60ac77e28d4ed5fe.jpeg

1377750346_images(11).jpeg.f775b0087b762762aac402ee84a8cdc5.jpeg

1391939919_images(13).jpeg.96cb35127d152a4b46e469197f16d377.jpeg

I had the hr824's, and I believe your picture above is the older model. Which I had. Things sound great in listening but I found they hype the bass, so your mixes on these may not translate well to other systems unless you account for that. Which is a pain.

Can't speak to the others. Good luck, that's a fun search and an important studio upgrade!

Hi. I know you've not asked this, but have you ever listened to the Fluid FX80 (Coaxial design)? If you have a chance, I would have a listen to them.

I have a set, and love them. I have listened to many good/great monitors in everything from normal, to high end studios.

These punch way above their price class. Of course they can't compete with the likes of geithain, ATC or the likes.

But had a wider, more precise and defined sweet spot than many twice their price.

All the best.

26 minutes ago, Zargg said:

Fluid FX80 (Coaxial design)? If you have a chance, I would have a listen to them.

I actually had a listened to them just before the pandemic started. Great sounding, but through countless of listening tests in a well treated room. I find that their low midrange have not enough detail in them with some space missing and upper midrage a bit hyped . Their highs are crisp though, with great detail. They're actually toe-to-toe with the JBL 308 to me. All-in-all, They are a great pair of monitors though. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I had the hr824's, and I believe your picture above is the older model. Which I had. Things sound great in listening but I found they hype the bass, so your mixes on these may not translate well to other systems unless you account for that. Which is a pain.

Can't speak to the others. Good luck, that's a fun search and an important studio upgrade!

Good to know, thanks. Yeah, the missing bass ports were of concern too. I believe they have an extra speaker built-in at the back? 

I'll see if I can get them in a well treated room for some tests. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

I have the Mackie CR4 which look a lot like the ones in your picture. I bought them for when I was away from my studio once and they had the best sound in that price point. I like them but they most certainly don't come close to my NMS10's or my Tannoy P 6.5's.  I spent a few hours in a big Music store and if I had had the extra cash at the time I would have grabbed the Yamaha HS5. There seems to be way to many monitors in the under $ 600 price range that hype the bass. Fine if your listening but bad for translating mixes. 

The Mackie's sound great but mixes just don't translate to other systems. For that I would trust the Yamaha's.   But Genelec's  are also high on my list of future purchases but they are pricey for the ones used in most pre studios. 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I have the Mackie CR4 which look a lot like the ones in your picture. I bought them for when I was away from my studio once and they had the best sound in that price point. I like them but they most certainly don't come close to my NMS10's or my Tannoy P 6.5's.  I spent a few hours in a big Music store and if I had had the extra cash at the time I would have grabbed the Yamaha HS5. There seems to be way to many monitors in the under $ 600 price range that hype the bass. Fine if your listening but bad for translating mixes. 

The Mackie's sound great but mixes just don't translate to other systems. For that I would trust the Yamaha's.   But Genelec's  are also high on my list of future purchases but they are pricey for the ones used in most pre studios. 

Mackie CR4 are multimedia speakers not really studio monitors, but they sound great. Not monitors I would think of buying. If you are looking for better than CR4's get the M-Audio BX5 D3 or the Tannoy reveal 502 or the Presonus Eris 5. All these are in the same price range with great details. The M-Audio BX5 will blow your mind.  

9 minutes ago, craigb said:

I'm sticking with my Alesis M1  Actives, but here's a couple of Behringer's in mint condition! 😁

behringermintmonitors.jpg

Do you have the "MKII" of the M1 actives? Cause they are scarce. Great sounding monitors indeed. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Do you have the "MKII" of the M1 actives? Cause they are scarce. Great sounding monitors indeed. 

Just looked and they only say M1 Active.  A quick search shows some on eBay for under $200!  

Here's an old pic where you can see them (I used the JBL Eon's as my PA speakers of choice when playing tracks back to play along with).

01-Studio2010-14.jpg

12 hours ago, craigb said:

Just looked and they only say M1 Active.  A quick search shows some on eBay for under $200!  

Here's an old pic where you can see them (I used the JBL Eon's as my PA speakers of choice when playing tracks back to play along with).

01-Studio2010-14.jpg

Yep. Those are the M1active MKII. Great sound. Those were based on the Alesis Monitor 2: which is a 3-way speaker. 

Alesis Monitor 2: Specs i believe is 45Hz - 20KHz

1209373953_images(12).jpeg.77388c8a2a192b5694bdad414a4ae4b1.jpeg

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1