END OF VST PLUG-INS

Herbert Zio

Question

I recently saw that Steinberg announced the end of support for VST Plug-Ins within 24 months.

As for the Plug-Ins that belong to the Sonar Platinum package, for example, will there be any support for them, such as the Nomad Factory - Blue Tubes Plug-Ins and others, will there be any updates for VT3?

At first, the change will occur in Steinberg's own software, but we know that the tendency is that all other companies will end up adjusting to the new standard.
Since 2018 Steinberg no longer grants a license for VST2 developers, only for VST3, my question on the forum is if this happens, will there be any updates of some Plug-Ins included in Sonar Platinum from VST2 to VST3, or will they simply be obsolete in Cakewalk ?

Unless a product is made by BandLab, it will not be updated.

BandLab will definitely not be updating 3rd party plug-ins like the Blue Tubes bundled. 

That task is up the owners of Nomad, Don't Crack.

BandLab supports the products they manufacturer.

BandLab may release more of the legacy Cakewalk products, but they seem to be pretty busy with DAW development.

I see, I thought there was still some contract between Nomad and Cakewalk regarding Sonar Platinum users, as it was part of the Platinum package.
So I thought that at least for users who had previously purchased Sonar Platinum, they could have the plugins that came with the DAW updated to VST3.

Thanks!

Edited by Herbert Miron

Well, at first I figured they were dropping vst2 support in their own products, but didn’t think this would force the end of vst2 continuing to function elsewhere would occur.

This talk is leading me to think this is not the case? All vst2 devices everywhere are about to stop working? That really hurts for use of legacy products. It’s gonna crush my current work model.

Sad. I hope I’m wrong.

10 minutes ago, scook said:

When Cakewalk was shutdown, Don't Crack offered a discount to Platinum owners for the unlocked version of the Blue Tubes bundle.

IIRC, recent public sales have been even more aggressively prices.

Don't Crash puts them on sale regularly.

Ah yes, but the solution is to wait to see if there will be any update by Nomad for VST3, from what I could see, VST2 is still the commercialized Plug-Ins of the Blue Tube line at least. So, for me I don't see much advantage in purchasing them now, since I can continue using the package that came with my Sonar Platinum.
Anyway, thank you for your attention!

2 minutes ago, Keni said:

Well, at first I figured they were dropping vst2 support in their own products, but didn’t think this would force the end of vst2 continuing to function elsewhere would occur.

This talk is leading me to think this is not the case? All vst2 devices everywhere are about to stop working? That really hurts for use of legacy products. It’s gonna crush my current work model.

Sad. I hope I’m wrong.

I was reading an article, and their idea is "evolution", unfortunately there are many good VSTs that developers don't even exist anymore, and if the trend is for all DAW developers to adapt to the new market standard, VST2 is probably with its days numbered. =/

30 minutes ago, Herbert Miron said:

I see, I thought there was still some contract between Nomad and Cakewalk regarding Sonar Platinum users, as it was part of the Platinum package.
So I thought that at least for users who had previously purchased Sonar Platinum, they could have the plugins that came with the DAW updated to VST3.

Thanks!

Cakewalk has not announced the end of VST2 support. And till that happened, there is no reason to worry about Platinum package.

Please correct me in case I am wrong, but VST2 license  has no time limit. So hosts and plug-ins developers which have it can continue supporting VST2, including developing new VST2 plug-ins.

One topic which is less discussed is that my last statement is already wrong for VST3! In VST3 license there are special parts targeting exactly that question (Steinberg has learned the lesson...). Effectively in case Steinberg introduce VST4 (VST 3.99, VST 5, etc.), they can enforce all developers stop develop VST3 (except bug fixing existing plug-ins).

So, as I have mentioned in another thread, I hope VST3 days are numbered. Users and developers should finally realize they are owned without benefits...

Edited by azslow3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Herbert Miron said:

I was reading an article, and their idea is "evolution", unfortunately there are many good VSTs that developers don't even exist anymore, and if the trend is for all DAW developers to adapt to the new market standard, VST2 is probably with its days numbered. =/

Seems crazy to me. I could easily understand stopping their own development of such, but why affect the world's use of things already acquired? I mean, we still have dx support even though nothing new is made.

Shouldn't this be the same? No new official vst2 products, but old should continue to function. I feel like I’m being abused!

3 minutes ago, Keni said:

Seems crazy to me. I could easily understand stopping their own development of such, but why affect the world's use of things already acquired? I mean, we still have dx support even though nothing new is made.

Shouldn't this be the same? No new official vst2 products, but old should continue to function. I feel like I’m being abused!

Business, generate profits, even more so when it comes to Steinberg, who charge everything they can charge, forcing users to buy new Plug-Ins according to new established standards where the domain will always be theirs.

I can think about several things at the same time, and that doesn't stop me from making music, unless I had some problem, like attention deficit, maybe I wouldn't be able to perform such an action.
Anyway, more information should be provided about how much the fact that Steinberg discontinued VST2 can imply, and it won't take 20 years for problems to occur in the usability of Plug-Ins, even more when it comes to Plug-Ins that have already been discontinued, or even from developers who no longer exist.
And no matter which DAW you are using, the developers of the other DAWs will not stand by and try to make the DAW run that old Plug-In of yours, they will all follow the market standard dictated by Steinberg.
It's one thing when Steinberg released VST3, then threads everywhere on the internet were speculating about the end of VST2, another thing is Steinberg making it obsolete, which happened 14 days ago.
Anyway, you don't need to waste time here on the topic, if it gets in the way of making your songs. I just raised a question regarding the Plug-Ins belonging to the Sonar Platinum package. 😉

@Herbert Miron - The discontinuation of VST2 plugins only really affects Plugin manufacturers who didn't sign a developer agreement prior to 2018.  Those who have a developer agreement signed before 2018 can continue to release VST2 plugins if they wish.

What Steinberg's statement is saying is that new developers cannot release VST2 plugins - only VST3 ones.  

Also, as far as I can tell, this affects the releasing of plugins, not plugin hosts (such as Cakewalk and other DAWs).  Cakewalk will continue to support VST2 plugins and has no plans to discontinue support for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Herbert Miron - The discontinuation of VST2 plugins only really affects Plugin manufacturers who didn't sign a developer agreement prior to 2018.  Those who have a developer agreement signed before 2018 can continue to release VST2 plugins if they wish.

What Steinberg's statement is saying is that new developers cannot release VST2 plugins - only VST3 ones.  

Also, as far as I can tell, this affects the releasing of plugins, not plugin hosts (such as Cakewalk and other DAWs).  Cakewalk will continue to support VST2 plugins and has no plans to discontinue support for them.

Thanks Mark!

That makes much more sense. Your words are priceless for mr right now.

46 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I think the confusion comes in where Steinberg said that the company already dropped their own Vst2 plugins for Vst3 versions in all their products. 

Yes. Makes sense. Evolving developers is a good idea. The scary thoughts were that somehow all vst2 plugins would stop working. Crazy, right?