Izotope Stutter Edit 2

cclarry

I have version 1. When version 2 was released, I thought it would get really cheap later. I didn't buy it when they said upgrade discount, $49 deals or something crazy.

Now the time has come, finally.

So I bought it.

But maybe, the give it for free in the future.... because they often do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Dreadful GUI and workflow compared to version 1 and it required three authorizations (two in the 'installer' and one in Cubase).  Goodbye izotope...

I can't comment on the GUI because I haven't played with it yet. However I only needed to authorize it once in the iZotope Product Portal. And it loaded in Cubase fine with no additional authorizations required. I used the iZotope authorization not iLok. Do you have a nonstandard installatiion?

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Do you have a nonstandard installatiion?

No. 

After entering the S/N I obtained from Plugin Boutique, the izotope Product Portal registered my license in my iLok.  I then installed the software and, when that completed, was asked to register again (which I tried doing but failed b/c I had just done that).  Then I loaded the plugin in Cubase and a pop-up appeared saying I had to register (third time).  So I tried doing it to my iLok, but that failed (second failure), so I unticked the iLok box and tried again and it finally worked.  After all that I was greated by a poorly-designed GUI with a really crappy preset browser (compared to version 1).  So at this point I'm done with izotope; I have everything I want from them and am not willing to go through all this hassle when there are so many talented developers out there.

And while I'm complaining, WTH happend to the Plugin Boutique site?  It used to be so easy to make a purchase there; they were my primary choice for plugins.  But now you have to click, click, click your way through numerous superflous screens just to buy something.  Why?!?

@locrian IIRC, izotope stuff gives us at least three methods for authorizing: ilok, disk or registry. Each of them has own quirks, for example I didn't want registry entries so I went for disk but it failed. Turned out it tries to write a file in the top C:\ directory but didn't have enough permission to do that. So I started Cakewalk as administrator for that and it worked. They don't give much hint about it, I admit.

20 minutes ago, locrian said:

And while I'm complaining, WTH happend to the Plugin Boutique site?  It used to be so easy to make a purchase there; they were my primary choice for plugins.  But now you have to click, click, click your way through numerous superflous screens just to buy something.  Why?!?

Yeah it changed recently and I liked it more simple before. I too, don't like constant changes and moving thins around where you have to find same things over and over again :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chris.r said:

@locrian IIRC, izotope stuff gives us at least three methods for authorizing: ilok, disk or registry. Each of them has own quirks, for example I didn't want registry entries so I went for disk but it failed. Turned out it tries to write a file in the top C:\ directory but didn't have enough permission to do that. So I started Cakewalk as administrator for that and it worked. They don't give much hint about it, I admit.

What was surprising and annoying to me is that initial registration/authorization of my S/N to my iLok worked the first time (I received the izotope 'rock on' hand sign).

After entering the S/N I obtained from Plugin Boutique, the izotope Product Portal registered my license in my iLok.

I have almost all of the iZotope plugins here, and none of them required iLok, although that was an option. Never had an issue just installing/authorizing via their product portal.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

9 minutes ago, abacab said:

I have almost all of the iZotope plugins here, and none of them required iLok, although that was an option. Never had an issue just installing/authorizing via their product portal.

I realize I may be the oddball here, but, I actually prefer putting all my licences on an iLok since I can just uplug it from my desktop and then plug it into my laptop when I'm away from my studio.  It works great!

1 minute ago, locrian said:

I realize I may be the oddball here, but, I actually prefer putting all my licences on an iLok since I can just uplug it from my desktop and then plug it into my laptop when I'm away from my studio.  It works great!

Well, the only time that I feel compelled to have a portable license system, is with plugins with only one install per license. For iZotope that would be limited to the Exponential Audio reverbs.

But since I now have two copies of the Nimbus and R4 reverbs, that's no longer an issue with iZotope for me. Their other products allow me to install and activate on both my desktop and laptop.

I do understand your point about portability though, as my Waves plugins and their silly 1-seat rule (without WUP) prompted me to go with their USB flash drive license plan. Just need to remember to take it with when I'm away! :)

• Like 1

I was greated by a poorly-designed GUI with a really crappy preset browser (compared to version 1).

Sigh. Yeah, I really wanted to like Stutter Edit 2, I thought it would be the way to level up on glitch and stutter effects. Had a hard time doing anything but browsing presets, so I took advantage of a trial membership at Producertech to take their course. Even after finishing the course, I still don't use it with anything but the presets, and infrequently at that. If one were to master it, it would be really powerful, but I pretty much just use stutters and glitches as a bit of seasoning in my ambient tracks, Chris Zippel style. A deep dive doesn't seem worth it at the moment.

I agree about the UI and preset browser. Even just following along in the course, I kept getting into situations where none of the controls would move. I think it was behaving as designed, but it's poor design to let your users get stuck in potholes.

One issue I found with Cakewalk is that the note names are 2 octaves off from what Cakewalk uses. No biggie if you put a MIDI transposer plug-in on the track, but something to be aware of if you can't get it to do anything.

Still, it's worth $10, even if you only use it with the factory presets. There's no shame in presets. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Still, it's worth $10, ...

True!  It's really quite a powerful modern, multi-FX plugin.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

There's no shame in presets. 😄

No shame at all.  For most plugins I start with a preset and tweak as needed.

• Like 1

Auto mode for me is one improvement that was welcome.  This way you don’t have to setup a midi trigger to hear the effect.  So speeds things up when picking effects. For me this was kind of a pain so welcome addition. It also has some new effects and modulators.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

One issue I found with Cakewalk is that the note names are 2 octaves off from what Cakewalk uses.

I guess that you use the strange default value of Cakewalk for the MIDI octave display! Like that it is off for most VST instruments also.

You can change the value to "-2" in "Preferences > Customization > Display > Base Octave for Pitches" ! Like that it should be okay (for most uses, I don't know for Stutter Edit, because I don't have it).

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1