Cakewalk crashes after trying to use Alesis Q25 keyboard controller

freddy j

Question

I have been using the Alesis Q25 keyboard controller for several years with Cakewalk and Cakewalk by BandLab.  I went to use it today using soft synth (as usual) and got the  error message below.  It appears in Preferences and all of the inputs and outputs seem to be connected as they usually have been.  However, as soon as I pressed any of the keys I got the error message.  What might cause such aberrant behaviour to suddenly start?  Any not too technical suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Capture.JPG.77354f92ab768082ebf44ae16c57930c.JPG

Edited by freddy j

7 answers to this question

13 hours ago, freddy j said:

I have been using the Alesis Q25 keyboard controller for several years with Cakewalk and Cakewalk by BandLab.  I went to use it today using soft synth (as usual) and got the  error message below.  It appears in Preferences and all of the inputs and outputs seem to be connected as they usually have been.  However, as soon as I pressed any of the keys I got the error message.  What might cause such aberrant behaviour to suddenly start?  Any not too technical suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Capture.JPG.77354f92ab768082ebf44ae16c57930c.JPG

In my experience that's a Malfunction. What does it say in Windows 10 popup windows right corner in the Taskbar? Unplug and plug it back in to confirm if its in both Windows or Cakewalk. 

Try different cables too. 

HI Will,

Thanks for the reply.  I did not receive this error message in the popup window that you mentioned.  I have also plugged and unplugged, rebooted, and contacted Alesis (no reply yet).  I also pulled out my old AKAI LPK25 and tried it .  That attempt produced the same result.  I think that these efforts might confirm your suggestion.  Either it is a problem with Cakewalk or Microsoft or perhaps and argument between the two.  

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

No. I dont think it's Microsoft or Cakewalk. It might have malfunctioned and had it's time, or, some other communication issue. I normally just buy a new one when all my attemps failed. I even went as far as to change the little USB adaptor at the back once after some tests. That worked for a month or so . . . 

Honestly, that window message box can mean a lot of things. 🙆🏻‍♂️ Sorry I can't be much of help on this one. 

Thanks Will and Henkejs. 

I did try different ports.  I also pulled out one of my other working files (Cakewalk Bundle) and tried it out.  To my surprise it worked with the controller. I tried a couple of others and they too worked.  So, l tried the file with the problem and it still did not work.  That result was beyond my comprehension.

Being frustrated, I exported the tracks that I had completed and opened up a new project in Cakewalk and imported those tracks.  That worked and I was able to use the keyboard controller.  The only thing that I can figure out is that perhaps the drive designation may have changed (how??) during one of our occasional, brief power outages.  I use a couple of external drives for saving working files.

Thanks very much for responding.  I appreciate your help!!!