Paperback Writer Cover

MGC59

After a few months of sifting through all the IKMultimedia Plugins acquired in the amazing 25th Anniversary Sale I finally used a bunch to create this cover of one of my favorite Beatles songs. I tried to stick to their version as much as possible and use the original amp and Guitar plugin simulations as well. 

The real acid test was mastering it all with The Lurssen Mastering Console, which passed with flying colors.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

Mark

• Like 5

Thank you Erik and Jack!

I'm not on the computer right now so this is what I remember....

The latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab was used...

The virtual Instruments are: Superior Drummer (Ayotte Kit w/Tama Snare), Scarbee Rickenbacker Muted Bass, MusicLab Real Rick through  S-Gear Marshall Plexi and S-Gear Tweed. MusicLab RLP is the rythmn guitar. Another Real Rick played a long chord on the 2nd beat of all the verses....

Vocals had IK Multimedia White Channel, Black Compressor, and the De-Esser....plus the Vintage 670 compressor on the bass. There is a Black Compressor on the drums as well. 

The main vocal Delay is Oil Can Delay by a company whose name escapes me and the Golden Plate from Valhalla.

I mastered the entire mix on Lurssen Mastering Console using the Rock (Pop) setting with more glue. Lurssen really made it all shine.....I made no adjustments.....it just worked.

I also use Waves Vox Renaissance on all the vocal takes (which were many 12+) It is my go to 1st plugin for vocals.....

I'll correct my memory lapses tomorrow when I am back on the DAW 

Mark, it's good to hear from you!  This song is terrific which is encouraging because I use many of the same tools that you use.  However, a Beatles song in my hands wouldn't get the same milage.  I've always been a big fan of yours which is why your are bookmarked for me.  Keep it going!

Thanks again everybody! (Lynn Wilson I am a big fan of your work as well!)

I finally got back on the DAW and see what Plugins I forgot to mention on my previous post.

The new Lead Vocal chain (thanks to IKMultimedia) Is an instance of TR5 Suite with White Channel/Black76 compressor and EQP-1A (Vintage Presence Preset)

The Backing Vocals are almost the same without the EQP-1A and an added De-Esser to reduce the sibilance from all the vocal layering.

All the vocals few to a short delay in Nomad Factory's Vintage Oilcan Echo/Delay which went to a Valhalla Room Plugin called "Golden Plate" I lengthen the Predalay to give the vocals some room.

The Tremolo effect was done with a cool little free plug called PanCake2 by a company called CableGuys. (https://www.cableguys.com/pancake.html)  

The lead guitar is actually two guitars...one a Les Paul through a Scuffam S-Gear version of a Marshall Plexi called the Stealer. Everything is pegged to 10! which is apparently what the Beatles did.

The other Lead Guitar is the Musiclab Rick through the Scuffham S-Gear Wayfarer amp. 

Both are dirty sounding and panned to 50% on each side. I had to add some Flange effect from the Scuffham on the Rick to get that nasally sound. I also mixed up the rhythm guitar parts between the  two so that it broke up the repetitiveness. The guitar licks were identical to give it a bigger doubled sound without wasting another track.

There is a 3rd guitar just strumming a long open chord on the 2nd beat of the measure and it was another Rick through a Scuffham clean amp called the Jackal.

I kept all instrument effects to a minimum and relied on the vocal effects to fill out the sound.

Since the entire mix came out to be 13 tracks total (7 for instruments) I was able to put individual compression on every channel. That helped a lot with the clarity.

I've always made my own mastering chains but that is going to change with Lurssen Mastering Console. This mix was done using just their Pop Rock (More Glue) preset.

I made no changes to the preset even though it is highly editable. It just worked and made EVERYTHING come together. I also grabbed some IKMultimedia Mastering software and haven't tried them out yet. I may not bother. It is always good to have other options though.

Thanks again for all the kind responses. I hope to post more tunes as soon as I lower the learning curve on all these new plugin toys!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies and advice!

Deering Amps: I agree the vocals are a little loud...I do a lot of reference mix listening and no matter what I hear from the source recordings I always end up running the vocals on the loud side. 1960's Music Producers used to complain that Motown studio producers always had their tambourines, shakers and supplemental percussion instruments way over the top. Eventually everyone started doing it. I doubt my loud vocal "style" will catch on!

I tend to double record all harmonies and pan them wider (various width differences between each vocal part) than the lead vocals to get some separation. Inevitably, this makes me mix the entire vocal section too hot.

Thanks for pointing it out!