Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

kitekrazy

🙄 My win10 still try to install 1809 version.

I would have thought that windows should take on another approach when the installation have failed 4 times. Like split it up in smaller pieces. But no...

It waits a couple of weeks then it makes another try. Then it fails. And then it reinstalls the latest working version.

Over and over and over and........🔄

I installed the 1903 version, Wednesday.  No problems that I know of.  Some add-ons may have to be reauthorized which happens on most major upgrades.  I checked my Isotope Product Portal and it showed all my Isotope products still activated.

However my PC is relatively recent hardware.  i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD, etc.   Some of the Win 10 updates are not "kind" to older hardware and won't even be offered to some.

13 hours ago, Kurre said:

🙄 My win10 still try to install 1809 version.

I would have thought that windows should take on another approach when the installation have failed 4 times. Like split it up in smaller pieces. But no...

It waits a couple of weeks then it makes another try. Then it fails. And then it reinstalls the latest working version.

Over and over and over and........🔄

1809 was the only update I didn't have to revert.  I have 3 machines on W10 and most of the time it screws up my network.  Often the remove password protective sharing is broken but not this time.

I upgraded a laptop from Home to Pro then upgraded that and my desktop to v1903. Very simple in both cases (don’t leave any usb hd’s plugged in however) and i’ve noticed an incease in overall speed...’........ We shall if its real in the next few days !

you’ll need to re-autorise AD2 as usual, but Izotope and Toontrack survived the leap. So did the audio drivers (Soundcraft MTK 22 and Focusrite 18i20 second gen. plus BCF 2000)

cheers,

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes

Well, Microsoft has found yet another way to annoy the heck out of me...  I got the reminder that an update was pending, so I decided to close out of everything and install the update (NOT an easy thing with all the work I'm doing!).  Once everything was closed it now says "You're up-to-date!" even though I'm still on 1809...  *Arrghhh!!!* 😖

(Clicking on "Check for Updates" doesn't work either.  I must be down on the update list...)

Now I'm worried about getting everything up and going again.  (I'm talking usually 30-40 Chrome tabs, 4-6 Excel spreadsheets, Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, various PDF's and text docs, 3-4 different sound and video apps, Outlook, Evernote, Filezilla, Postman, PhotoShop and others!)  Then they do a surprise restart on me and dork 90% of things up...  *Sigh.*

Edited by craigb

5 hours ago, craigb said:

Well, Microsoft has found yet another way to annoy the heck out of me...  I got the reminder that an update was pending, so I decided to close out of everything and install the update (NOT an easy thing with all the work I'm doing!).  Once everything was closed it now says "You're up-to-date!" even though I'm still on 1809...  *Arrghhh!!!* 😖

(Clicking on "Check for Updates" doesn't work either.  I must be down on the update list...)

Now I'm worried about getting everything up and going again.  (I'm talking usually 30-40 Chrome tabs, 4-6 Excel spreadsheets, Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, various PDF's and text docs, 3-4 different sound and video apps, Outlook, Evernote, Filezilla, Postman, PhotoShop and others!)  Then they do a surprise restart on me and dork 90% of things up...  *Sigh.*

FWIW in your list these work fine for me : Excel, Visual Studio, Acrobat PDF, Word, Photoshop, Filezilla, Outlook, and so on.

You can force the download with the MS Media Creation Tool ........ !

J

This release appears to have had a very significant positive effect on my DAW and general performance, with the implementation of Retpoline, which undoes the performance damage from Spectre mitigation. It is astonishing it has taken Microsoft so long.

All the rest is mainly fluff in comparison with the speed increase, although it is unbelievable that they allowed a bug through testing that means that, if you click on Apps shortly after switching the machine on, Settings crashes. You can download the fix or wait for it to be deployed in the next few days. Sandbox is useful though.

If you want 1903 now, just download the update assistant tool. I am seeing much better DAW performance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

FWIW in your list these work fine for me : Excel, Visual Studio, Acrobat PDF, Word, Photoshop, Filezilla, Outlook, and so on.

You can force the download with the MS Media Creation Tool ........ !

J

By "dorking things up" I mean open files I'm working on that haven't been saved are often completely lost, work that is being processed gets killed (causing file corruption) and then I have to try and remember what I had open and what I was in the middle of.  The Chrome tabs tend to come back and, if they don't, I can usually get them back by hitting shift-ctrl-T.

If your Windows 10 system doesn't see the 1903 update here's info how to manually download it...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The alternative is installing it manually. This is a little more involved and for me worked like this: First, go to the Update Assistant page.  There, it says: "The Update Assistant can help you update to the latest version of Windows 10. To get started, click Update now."

Then download the "Windows10Upgrade" file, open it, and a screen pops up that says "Update to the latest version of Windows 10" and at the bottom says "Update Now."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2019/05/25/how-to-install-the-windows-10-may-update-1903-the-manual-option-with-a-warning/#77159ecef809

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, kitekrazy said:

1809 was the only update I didn't have to revert.  I have 3 machines on W10 and most of the time it screws up my network.  Often the remove password protective sharing is broken but not this time.

The May update is causing nothing but audio dropouts.  I haven't had dropouts on SONAR for years, but this release is completely unusable for me.  How do you revert?  The only thing I see in the Bandlab app is Uninstall.

4 minutes ago, cparmerlee said:

The May update is causing nothing but audio dropouts.  I haven't had dropouts on SONAR for years, but this release is completely unusable for me.  How do you revert?  The only thing I see in the Bandlab app is Uninstall.

Revert Windows instead.  Also take a look at all of your Windows settings. Sometime those get changed back with a new version.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Revert Windows instead.  Also take a look at all of your Windows settings. Sometime those get changed back with a new version.

I was running with my project on a network share.  I realize that isn't ideal, but it had never caused a problem with SONAR before, and that mode continues to work with StudioOne and Cubase.  I moved the project to an SSD and SONAR works OK.

My latency problems were solved by reverting to a Macrium Reflect disc image I did before upgrading to 1903.  Then downloading/reinstalling 1903.  Latency Mon has run for over 10 minutes without a hit.

FWIW on the first install of 1903 my MOTU 4pre interface unit drivers were corrupted.  The MOTU CueMix program saw the 4pre but Sonar and Studio One did not.  I had to do a repair of the 4pre drivers.  On the second (good) install of 1903 the 4pre drivers were not corrupted.

• 1 month later...

Have you seen Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry administration in your Windows Task Manager? It is safe to say that you are pondering what's going on here? Would it be a good idea for you to evacuate it? In this post, you will find out about Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. Also, you will figure out how to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high circle utilization issue.