FOLDERS WITHIN FOLDERS OUT OF CONTROL

King Burton

HELP!!!

This new feature is trashing my project. I can't move singletracks or folders without them going everywhere into other folders and even duplicating and creating more folders! There is no control. 30 minutes trying to untangle my tracks and it's hopeless.

Can I turn this feature OFF?????

I love cakewalk but I can't do business like this. I've got more than 50 hours into this project and will have to abandon it.

Please respond asap

Edited by King Burton

We really need a bit more info as to what exactly you're doing, and what the result is.  I can only guess that you've not got the hang of the new left/right drag behaviour when working with folders, e.g.:

dragTrackFolderIndicator.gif

If duplicates are being made, then it's likely you're holding down CTRL when doing the operation.

The next release will have a slight change to this behaviour in that the first behaviour shown above will be disabled if the folder you're dragging under is collapsed - i.e. it'll always be placed at the root level if the folder is collapsed.

For the moment though, just make sure you drag to the left half of the track header if you don't want things put in folders.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The next release will have a slight change to this behaviour in that the first behaviour shown above will be disabled if the folder you're dragging under is collapsed - i.e. it'll always be placed at the root level if the folder is collapsed.

Any chance you could look into changing the default behaviour when  a track is dragged into a collapsed folder ?

Currently it expands the Folder - this is a nightmare when trying to tidy up a session. Folders expanding all over the place when all I'm trying to do is just drop every track into it's correct folder, it's like folder whack a mole when you've got 50 - 60 tracks to sort out.

Hello.

Just wanted to move a single track  to a different position to organize my project. It's forced into a different existing folder no matter how I try. Removal of the track from the folder puts it nowhere where I need it.

Same occurs with folders. No matter how you move it goes to an existing folder as a subfolder. Half the time when I remove the (sub)folder from the folder, it removes the folder but keeps a duplicate.

Point: there is no longer user control over your tracks/folders.

As a pro, I can't work like this and I'm in a production time crunch. How do I revert to previous rev that works?

1 hour ago, King Burton said:

Hello.

Just wanted to move a single track  to a different position to organize my project. It's forced into a different existing folder no matter how I try. Removal of the track from the folder puts it nowhere where I need it.

Same occurs with folders. No matter how you move it goes to an existing folder as a subfolder. Half the time when I remove the (sub)folder from the folder, it removes the folder but keeps a duplicate.

Point: there is no longer user control over your tracks/folders.

As a pro, I can't work like this and I'm in a production time crunch. How do I revert to previous rev that works?

I just right click & use move to folder - seems to work fine. (on all selected tracks)

Edited by rfssongs

RFSSONGS

That's normal behavior to add a track to a folder. If you have a folder at the bottom of your list, you cannot drag that single track to be at the bottom, ie the last track. Behavior requires it to be inside last folder. If you want to move a folder to be first or last, it goes directly to the folder that occupies that position. When you remove the track from the cursed folder - you don't have any say where it pops out. But I can tell you this - if you want to continue with your project, you absolutely better NOT touch track locations.

So, 1. Is there a way I can keep this change from being so aggressive? 2. Can I disable the function? 3. Can I roll back to a previous revision until CW addresses the issue? 4. As incredibly difficult this has made my work, how is that I seem to be the only one struggling here with this update?

Thanks Mr. MSMcLEOD - Been using CW 15 years. If there is a drastic new technique of track management, I haven't heard of it.

Track folder at the top of the list, track folder at the bottom of the list. I want to move a single track (or folder) to be at the bottom of the tree.

I can't move a single track or a folder to exchange places. They are just added to folders as subfolders. That's where it is most obvious, but this happens in the middle of the file tree also.

(BTW sorry about not being able to supply a gif. Buried in a time crunch and no time to explore new sw. This update has crashed my workflow. Spend as much time problem solving as production.)

FWIW I am unable to duplicate the behavior the OP is experiencing.

I have had a little time today to experiment with this. I can drag any type of track or folder into or out of any folder or sub-folder, top to bottom without any problem. It is working as I expect it to.

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

It's also not possible to add tracks as the last item in the folder when there's stuff already there.

I believe this is only in the specific case that the track is the last track in the project, and the folder you want to move it into is immediately above it. In that case it's easy enough to drop it above the last track, and then drag it down. Or you can right click and Move to Folder; since it's below the folder, it'll end up in the last position.