Funeral Songs

fret_man

I thought I would share a few pieces here since I don't know where else would be more appropriate. None of these are originals, although the arrangements are (a counter-argument can be made for the last piece) so I doubt I will ever have an opportunity to submit these for a taxi request.

First is Be Thou My Vision, a solo acoustic guitar piece that has been in my repertoire for quite some time. I played it for my younger sister's funeral in December. She died very suddenly due to an extremely aggressive and unusual cancer over the Thanksgiving weekend. I finally got this to the point suitable for sharing.

After playing the above at my sister's funeral, my other sister asked for me to do a version of Goin' Home for her funeral (yes, this has been on all our minds). This is also a solo acoustic guitar piece.

Finally, for MY funeral y'all can play Ashokan Farewell. I never get enough of that. The instrumental version I came up with is heavily adapted from Jay Unger's video. It is for a small folk ensemble and took quite a bit of wrangling to get this presentable, but I like how it turned out. 

So, I'm now done with funeral songs and can return to other writing. I hope y'all enjoyed these and they brought you some needed comfort.

• Like 1

Some notes as I listen (bear in mind I'm on my Bose cans and they tend to hype the low end)

Vision: I'd pull some low end out of the ambiance.
Not familiar with the tune so can't comment on the arrangement, other than I'm sure it was appropriate for the occasion.

Home: See above

Farewell: Loving the mandolin! Nice duet. Seems less "cluttered" in the low end. Different verb?
No longer a duet, lovely arrangement...

Overall: Well played and captured. Solo Acoustic is the biggest challenge for me.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, fret_man said:

hope y'all enjoyed

Too bad this has fallen through the cracks; sometimes with multiple tracks folks move on?

t

Thank you for your comments! I will look at that low end going into the reverb on the 2 solo pieces. All 3 tunes used the same reverb settings, but on Ashoken Farewell the bass wasn't sent thru it and the guitar wasn't the feature instrument. The rest of the instruments (mandolin, fiddle, banjo) have no bass, so maybe it just wasn't a problem for that one.

• Like 1