Allow us to determine the block size in WASAPI Shared.

Bruno de Souza Lino

On 1/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

on my system with a Behringer UB-802 on USB 2, i'm getting a reading of 10ms @ 480 samples. have you run the wave profiler on driver settings tab?

10ms @ 480 samples seems to be the minimum latency figure you can get and that's roughly a 32th note off. While I could try to adjust the compensation thing on the settings (which would be a nightmare, since I don't know how many samples I should offset it by to get specific amounts of ms removed or added), that wouldn't do anything for monitoring and I would be ahead in the recordings if I compensate the latency.

to be fair, my rack unit - UMC-1820 - i can get to about 2ms at 64 samples. not useful in practice when recording multiple tracks on my current systems, so i usually set to 6-8ms @ 128 samples with no FX when recording live instruments. for MIDI controller performance i'll go to 20-30ms @ 512 samples, and mixing, 100ms @ 4096 samples. if the monitoring is happening later in a mix cycle, and i need to add live instruments, i switch to direct monitoring of the new tracks and play to the mix level latency. then simple move the new tracks based on the samples #.  least amount of potential glitching and it's digital so moving tracks precisely is "normal" for me. maybe when i finally upgrade to a proper modern system, this approach will not be strictly necessary...

You need to perform a loop back test to determine how many samples to adjust for none ASIO drivers timing offset. ASIO does this automatically but all other drivers will be late. And yes it’s going to be 1/32 or more so it does matter. I demonstrate how to do a loop back in this video 

• 8 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cactus Music said:

You need to perform a loop back test to determine how many samples to adjust for none ASIO drivers timing offset. ASIO does this automatically but all other drivers will be late. And yes it’s going to be 1/32 or more so it does matter. I demonstrate how to do a loop back in this video 

Sure, but I'm talking about WASAPI Shared here, not ASIO. My interface doesn't have native ASIO drivers.

• Like 1