Problem with Key Bindings!

Kyle Whitlock

28 minutes ago, Kyle Whitlock said:

Anyone else having issues with Key Bindings in Bandlab now? New problem here and didn't start until the last upgrade. Very wonky! Hardly anything is working correctly. Import and Export does not work properly either. Suggestions?

Works fine here. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it's working for you Will!  Still wonky here..  I have tried resetting key bindings many times. At first they work, later I hit a key combination and nothing happens or it does something completely different. I've never seen this issue in 25+ years of using Cakewalk.

I've tested this a few time and sometimes it works other times not. 

Go into Preferences and Keyboard shortcuts. There's a little box named ENABLED (this was never off by default) tick it, Apply and hit OK.  

If this does not work (As in my case and probably because I have a guest account) go to VST settings and remove that %LocalAppData% path, go back into Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts and tick ENABLE. APPLY and hit OK. Should then work. 

Again: this is how i got things to work normal again with this issue on my side. 

• 6 months later...

Vanishing key bindings is usually the fault of loading a Workspace that clears/overwrites them. I recently did this myself while browsing the workspaces that come with Cakewalk. Fortunately, I had a backup of my bindings.

The other issue is the UI freezing up for several seconds when opening the Preferences pane for Keyboard Shortcuts. As yet unresolved, but it's harmless other than being annoying.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Vanishing key bindings is usually the fault of loading a Workspace that clears/overwrites them. I recently did this myself while browsing the workspaces that come with Cakewalk. Fortunately, I had a backup of my bindings.

The other issue is the UI freezing up for several seconds when opening the Preferences pane for Keyboard Shortcuts. As yet unresolved, but it's harmless other than being annoying.

Is there a way to disable overwriting of key bindings when switching Workspaces? 

18 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Yes, with a project loaded, go up to the Workspaces dropdown in the top right of the screen, then choose Manage Workspaces, and in the dialogue box that pops up, you can select which options get applied or not.

Oh snap, I just realized that I've mistaken Screensets for Workspaces. My bad. Until now I haven't used Workspaces even a single time. Thanks for the info though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michal Ochedowski said:

Oh snap, I just realized that I've mistaken Screensets for Workspaces. My bad. Until now I haven't used Workspaces even a single time.

Workspaces are benign until someone with Cakewalk's UI set up just the way they want says "hmm, Workspaces, I wonder what Basic looks li....oh sacred schnit, what happened to my Control Bar layout, my custom keystrokes, half of the menu items...."

And then switches back to "none," which is the number of custom key bindings, window layouts, and control bar settings that survived the last time I did it. Fortunately, I'm pretty into rejiggering Cakewalk's UI, which has made me diligent about backing up my custom key bindings, color sets, themes, etc.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:33 AM, Michal Ochedowski said:

Is there a way to disable overwriting of key bindings when switching Workspaces? 

On 2/8/2022 at 5:56 PM, User 905133 said:

. . . custom key bindings do get stored (and then restored)  if that option is selected under Workspace Management . . . 

Edited by User 905133
trimmed post

• 5 months later...

The key bindings on my laptop started acting weird last week. None of my Ctrl shortcuts worked. That led me to this thread and a couple of hours troubleshooting. I know this is not the fix for most (if not all) of you but...

It turned out BOTH of my Ctrl keys didn't work on my laptop. Note, this machine is only used for live tracking and I treat it well. It has never been dropped. etc. I  figured it out when I went to test the ctrl key in a different program. Maybe a Windows update issue? Regardless, a $5 USB keyboard from the thrift store was my fix. Maybe this will help save someone a headache.