Simultaneous USB MIDI devices from multiple vendors

David Thiel

1 hour ago, David Thiel said:

Obviously, I am missing the important gesture that will 'remove ghosts', which seems like a good idea.

I discovered the 'important gesture'.  A range can be selected.  Then right click "Add Device" is invoked over the range.  This tells you how many 'ghosted' devices will be nuked. 

I'm down to under 300 devices, down from 514.  System still works.  I'm still poking at the DMK25 trying to get it to work again.

I was not methodical enough to know for sure which actions got all five MIDI devices working unfortunately, but the good news is that right at this moment the DMK5, Roli Lumi, Roli Keyboard Blocks, Ultranova and NanoKontrol are all working!

Cleaning out the old device instances in Device Manager and Ghostbuster really helped.

I also discovered in my expedient haste that the DMK25 was connected through a USB powered hub instead of directly into the computer (I don't know what got into me, I know better).

I don't know how fragile this configuration will be but I how I can now get on with it.

In any case, I give thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.  You made a big difference.

David

To manually remove ghost devices:
Right click the start button (virtual button that looks like windows logo bottom left screen) to pop up a menu
select device manager to open device manager
In the device manager window: click on "view" to open a dropdown menu and check "show hidden devices"
unconnected (ghost devices) will show as a subtly transparent ghostlike icon image
you can confirm by right clicking the device icon and selecting properties 
ghosts will show as presently not connected
you can then delete the devices that are not actively connected.

If removing those ghost devices does not help, you might try physically disconnecting your keyboards, deleting those keyboards from device manager and re-installing them one by one to see if that helps.

5 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

To manually remove ghost devices:
Right click the start button (virtual button that looks like windows logo bottom left screen) to pop up a menu
select device manager to open device manager
In the device manager window: click on "view" to open a dropdown menu and check "show hidden devices"
unconnected (ghost devices) will show as a subtly transparent ghostlike icon image
you can confirm by right clicking the device icon and selecting properties 
ghosts will show as presently not connected
you can then delete the devices that are not actively connected.

If removing those ghost devices does not help, you might try physically disconnecting your keyboards, deleting those keyboards from device manager and re-installing them one by one to see if that helps.

He got all that way back when in from watching my video. But then the OP used a 3rd party clean up tool as well. But I'm not sure that was actually nessassary. 

I think this type of stuff is why I like to install a new OS drive every 4 or 5 years and start fresh.